• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many here, want there to be something supernatural?

JMiller

Well, just that you couldn't count on anything. Some superbeing could come along and invert gravity for a giggle.

Would I be out of line to suggest this isn't fear, but perhaps reservations? I do understand better what you meant though.

JMiller

How about when we discuss movies such as Paranormal Activity? Or perhaps, some other movie that resonated with you.

What specific type of supernatural would you be inclined to say might exist over some other type of supernatural?

Example: demons, ghosts, gods, spirits, etc...

Finally, does partially thinking some of these might exist, do you then become boxed into some particular religion or at least somewhat related to some religion?
Example, if I believe in demons, do I have to believe in God, etc...

Straw Dog

It is clear there are a great number unconvinced of the supernatural, but even among those unconvinced, how many secretly or even openly hope there is such a thing?

I suppose at the end of the day, I hope for such a thing, but to this day I am not sure why I would hope for such a thing.

Any thoughts?

I'm open to the possibility that there are certain phenomenon that occurs which we refer to as 'supernatural'. I reject that these events are 'supernatural' though, but rather just natural phenomenon that we don't yet understand. This has historically been the case. We've attributed a supernatural cause to everything from lightning and the sun to biological reproduction and successful or failed crop harvests. The tract record is against us on calling anything 'supernatural' and being correct. It's all just natural, whether or not we understand it completely now.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Are you absolutely convinced about that? Just curious...
Unless magic purposely avoided rules about its nature, yes I am convinced.

Then again, if magic did avoid all rules applied to it, then it would be of no use to anyone, since trying to use it would result in it always escaping your grasp.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You are!
Well does that mean we all are?
Do explain...
Yes, it means we all are.

Not saying I'm all the weird things people associate with the word "supernatural," but "I am" is something supernatural. The "I" is lifted by "am" to be above the world: distinct from everything --the universe --around it that it is not, and distinct from body and mind, which it possesses and manipulates (with the power called "will").

idav

Being
Premium Member
It is clear there are a great number unconvinced of the supernatural, but even among those unconvinced, how many secretly or even openly hope there is such a thing?

I suppose at the end of the day, I hope for such a thing, but to this day I am not sure why I would hope for such a thing.

Any thoughts?
I don't think it would be a very safe place if even some people had supernatural powers. The world would almost end every other day. Someone who could safely and responsibly wield supernatural powers, like myself, would be ok.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I don't think it would be a very safe place if even some people had supernatural powers. The world would almost end every other day. Someone who could safely and responsibly wield supernatural powers, like myself, would be ok.
I enjoy the ego. :p

CaptainBritain

There are days that greatly regret my loss of faith, and others when it seems like a good thing so im 50/50, however I do enjoy life so the thought of forever does appeal.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
Other than secretly wishing I was a fire mage, I'm not really inclined to hoping there is anything supernatural.

Mainly because most supernatural concepts I've encountered are not developed and detailed enough to warrant desire, in my opinion. I would like the world to be a better and more joyful place, but not necessarily supernatural.

gnomon

Any thoughts?

I'd like to be able to eat lightning and crap thunder.

Twig pentagram

High Priest

Any thoughts?
It all depends on the morals of the supernatural beings in question. If they were in line with my morals I'd love for them to exist, but if they have morals that are beneath my standards I don't want them to exist.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar

Any thoughts?

For me it would depend on what the supernatural would be. I think it would be fascinating for me to have a "soul" or some kind of "spirit" and for there to be another realm of existence though. However, I do find the possibility unsettling in a way. If there is a supernatural world, there could be, potentially, a infinite number of supernatural beings or objects inhabiting this world. What if there exists angry, violent, or even sinister beings in a supernatural realm? If there do exist such beings, I would rather not know about them and definitely not prefer to cross paths with them or encounter them in any way.

However, there is a possibility that I love: reincarnation. I find the thought that something survives the death process and gets reincarnated to be a very attractive idea, especially as a solution to the problem of injustice in this world. I read a book by a rabbi who believed that the Jewish victims of the Holocaust were being reincarnated. The author didn't present compelling evidence for this but I found the possibility very heart-warming.

I would love to be reincarnated if it meant being compensated for serious shortcomings in this life. I would love to be reincarnated if it meant, for instance, that I could meet the girl of my dreams at a young age and be childhood, high school, and college sweethearts with her. This didn't happen, though, and this has been very painful for me for years. I'm 33 and still devastated that none of this ever happened. I find it extremely depressing that it may never happen.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind if the supernatural existed and I would probably find it quite fascinating :)