• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Important is Sexual Morality to a Nation?

blackout

Violet.
25_56203214.gif

Thank you.

I can't quite explain it, but somehow, I feel better now.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
sexual morality is how one can differentiate between a civilized human society and the jungle.....
Many ancient civilizations would beg to differ. The ancient Greek and Romans openly embraced homo and bisexuality. And they were both rather advanced and civilized people.
Sexual Morality in a society seems to create nothing more than unnecessary debating. The hard truth being gay sex will only effect people as much as they let it. I don't even see why people are saying a legal agreement on paper should be between only a man and woman. Me and my girlfriend are unmarried, and are still committing adultery, as is the case with thousands, maybe millions of unmarried couples. Yet the gay ones seem to get targeted because they are different.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
sexual morality is how one can differentiate between a civilized human society and the jungle.....
Funny... I thought they were differentiated by the use of language, manufacture of tools, systems of laws... stuff like that. ;)

Nessa

Color Me Happy
Well, because he cannot qualify the first statement, the second one loses much of its force.

America - along with Britain and other free societies - had to significantly decrease freedoms in order to maintain and cultivate discipline.

But does it really? The USA and England arguably had more freedom before and after WW II than either Germany and Russia. Both of which exhibited high levels of discipline during WW II but later went through a change of goverment to allow for more freedom.
Originally Posted by Sunstone
I think the notion that discipline is more important than freedom is both a false dichotomy

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
IMO, the only form of sexual immorality is that which lacks informed consent. As Father Heathen pointed out, what goes on between consenting adults has no bearing on the morality of a nation. How we treat rapists and worse, does.

TurkeyOnRye

It's all a case-by-case basis, I'd say.

Congrats to Sunstone for creating the most open-ended thread I've ever seen. :D

Last edited:

Troublemane

I think the term morality, sexual or not, is the prime issue. if a person is ethical, honest, loyal, helpful, generally kind, they will probably make a good mate. theres alot more to sex and being loyal to someone than if they've got a hot bod....right?

...ah, isnt there?...can i get an amen? :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, this thread certainly seems to ramble around a bit. Does anyone seriously think sexual morality is more decisive in the rise and fall of nations than such factors as environmental degradation, resources, economics, and so forth?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
That's OK, Mike :hug:. I can be considered immoral, too, because I'm an uppity woman who really really really really really really REALLY likes sex......

......a lot......

.......bunches and bunches. :D

And in some circles, it's thought that women shouldn't enjoy sex that much because such a woman isn't marriageable.

Thanks Heather :hug: I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good jungle cry in bed, and I can't deny that at times there is swinging, but the implication that gays are not as socially civilised as the rest of the population is one that really gets to me.

Serious, who is more civilised that gays? we practically invented etiquette :areyoucra

maro

muslimah
Many ancient civilizations would beg to differ. The ancient Greek and Romans openly embraced homo and bisexuality. And they were both rather advanced and civilized people..

we seem to have two different understandings of the word "civilization" ,if you call the romans who were enjoying the show of two slaves wristling to death "civilized people" ,i beg to differ..civilization-to me - is both materialistic and ethical advancement....the tools ,laws , technology is not only what make peolpe civilized....i have to ask what the tools and technology are used to promote ??...if whoredom and hypocrisy....then ,certainly this is not what i call civilization...not even what i call human...

Mike182

Flaming Queer
we seem to have two different understandings of the word "civilization" ,if you call the romans who were enjoying the show of two slaves wristling to death "civilized people" ,i beg to differ..civilization-to me - is both materialistic and ethical advancement....the tools ,laws , technology is not only what make peolpe civilized....i have to ask what the tools and technology are used to promote ??...if whoredom and hypocrisy....then ,certainly this is not what i call civilization...not even what i call human...

name me one civilisation that has not had prostitutes, promiscuity and hypocrisy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, this thread certainly seems to ramble around a bit. Does anyone seriously think sexual morality is more decisive in the rise and fall of nations than such factors as environmental degradation, resources, economics, and so forth?
I don't.

The only instance I've heard of where morality (though non-sexual) played a role in the downfall of a society was in certain Pacific islands where cannibalism was practiced: apparently, eating the brains of people who have died of certain diseases is an efficient was to spread them.