• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does atheist americans feel now?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That USA is infact religious country where the president must take oath by the bible.

Does it **** u off?

No. Its tradition. Doesn't mean the president will follow the bible given each christian has their own interpretation of it. As long as he doesn't use it to dictate the freedom of others, he can put his hand on a semese street pop up book for all it matters.

Last edited:

pearl

If it were a Muslim taking the oath the 'book' would be the Quran. An atheist might take the oath on copy of the Constitution. It' by choice not fixed law.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If it were a Muslim taking the oath the 'book' would be the Quran. An atheist might take the oath on copy of the Constitution. It' by choice not fixed law.
On 2nd thought, I might swap out the Constitution for Slaughterhouse Five.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That USA is infact religious country where the president must take oath by the bible.

Does it **** u off?
You misunderstand. Most atheists are not as fragile in their convictions as so many theists are about their beliefs.
It's tradition. Heck, I don't even have a problem with the 10 Commandments on a statue outside a courthouse. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You misunderstand. Most atheists are not as fragile in their convictions as so many theists are about their beliefs.
It's tradition. Heck, I don't even have a problem with the 10 Commandments on a statue outside a courthouse. :)
Of course, I reserve the right to change some of those commandments.
"If a man smite thee on one cheek, smash him on the other."
"Mind your business."
"If it has original paint, leave it alone."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No. This is a convention, not mandated by the constitution.

If I were being elected today, I'd pick "A People's History of the United States," by Howard Zinn to swear my oath of office.
A fine choice. I'd probably pick the Origin of Species as a declaration that science, logic, and evidence are going to be the way things are done for the next four years. No more whining and crying about how people feel, these are the facts, get over it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's all part and parcel of the fiction that the US is a Christian nation founded on "Christian principles". ;)

If so, you'd think the OP would have framed it as "how do non-Christian Americans feel now" instead of just talking about atheists. It's not as if atheists are the only people in this country who don't hold the Bible in high esteem.

suncowiam

Of course, I reserve the right to change some of those commandments.
"If a man smite thee on one cheek, smash him on the other."
"Mind your business."
"If it has original paint, leave it alone."

I like where you're going with this.

If a man cheats with your wife, you cheat with his...

That's does fall under the Golden rule.

Kirran

Premium Member
People sworn into political office in the USA have made their oath with a hand on the Bible and on the Qur'an before, as well as using nothing at all.

Previous Presidents John Quincy Adams and Franklin Pierce swore on a book of law, to stand for the constitution. Theodore Roosevelt and Lyndon B Johnson didn't use a Bible.