• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you "know" that others are wrong and you are right?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You do have a lot of good points, I admit that:) and I respect your views and understanding.
If I had a dir I was able to discuss my true understanding and show my true knowledge from Falun Gong that would the place I put my OP, but since I am the only current active Falun Gong practitioner here, I have to compromise my own posts sometimes to not get "ridiculed" all the time.

So maybe all this is my own fault. I can see that.

I'm a bit confused. Are you personally ridiculed or are you concern with spiritual people being ridiculed in general?

I haven't seen any of your posts ridiculed, but people who profess spiritual believes and awakening do get put down on RF.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There's a concept in psychology called "cognitive dissonance" that can be helpful in contextualizing this aspect of human behavior, @Amanaki .

The basic idea is that persons hold a particular worldview and that when the encounter something that is in conflict with that worldview, it causes mental stress or uncomfortable emotions.

To alleviate this stress, humans respond in only a few different ways. One of those ways is what you remark about in the OP, @Amanaki - denigrate the contradictory data to dismiss it as valid or worthy of consideration. Humans don't just do this with the topic of religion, they do this just in general. In most cases it's benign, honestly, and not worth fussing about when it happens. W
e're talking about a psychological process that is rooted in all of us. It's not going to go away and there's no sense trying to eliminate it. You've got more control over how
you respond to these things than the behavior of other humans.
Thank you @Quintessence I needed those words, and yes I agree with what you say :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm a bit confused. Are you personally ridiculed or are you concern with spiritual people being ridiculed in general?

I haven't seen any of your posts ridiculed, but people who profess spiritual believes and awakening do get put down on RF.
To be honest, yes in the last few days I feel there been a few members who at least tried to ridicule my posts here. Not as personal attack by about what my understanding of spiritual lifestyle is.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe I am to open about my reaction to certain behaviors in RF, I admit that.
And maybe it is wrong of me to speak up, I realize a OP like this will also create tention toward my self.

But I believe it is important to speak up not only for my self, but for those of RF members who don't feel all is well here but don't want to stand up in the line of fire.

Maybe I am foolish to do this. But it is sometimes needed

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the week or so since I come back to RF I noticed even more negativity then before I left.
And often (not always) the discussion derail because a non believer start asking questions that is non related to the OP, where it is very clear that their mission is to debunk any form of personal spiritual belief.

How do this people know they are correct when they can not prove the spiritual experience that others have is real?
What is the purpose of slandering a religion you do not follow your self? Yes I know you do not believe, burn the religious people do. And guess what, the religion is for the religious people to follow not the non religious.

And yes I know some religious people try to hard to convert you. But you can say No thank you. I do not believe, and just leave the discussion ;)

How hard can it be?
Being right is a lot of work, particularly in areas where
it's not possible, ie, the old "nicht einmal falsch" scenario.
I like to state my personal "preferences".
Then there's no need to defend them.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For me it has come to a point where I no longer see a reason to post more here in RF, so this might be my last OP. But time will tell :)
I do the opposite. I stay on RF until it does not bother me anymore, not even for 1 second.

In this context I remember the story about Buddha. A group of men came to Buddha and were verbal abusive to Buddha. Buddha remained calm, but His disciples got upset, and even got angry with Buddha that He allowed this to happen. Then Buddha replied "If the postman brings you a package, but the address and name don't match, what happens to the package"? If you really know the answer, your problem is solved instantly.

This type of stories give me inspiration and power and instant wisdom. And the more these people attack me, the more opportunity I have to think of Buddha and His Wisdom, so the faster I become enlightened.:). Maybe even thanks to those Atheists pressing me to think of the highest teaching all the time.

I also remember Sai Baba telling us "Some people go to the forest to meditate. That is easy, there is no challenge in this. Stay in the world, and keep meditating, that is the real challenge". Once I had to find a room in India, and a friend came with me, and told me "you can stay there". Oh, I replied, there is so much noice here, I better look for a quiet place to meditate, to which he replied "what is the challenge in that, you better take this room". So, of course I took the room:D. And now, after decades of practising this, the more crazy people shout, the more peace I feel inside.:D

Another great story of Sai Baba in this regard. Sai Baba told us "If someone verbally abuses you, be happy, because he takes your bad karma from you, and he gets bad karma. You should be thankful to them, it's a fast track on the Spiritual path".:D

stvdv

I have nothing against atheists and their lack of belief, but do not understand why they so desperately try to tear down the belief of religious/spiritual people
I understand why they do it, hence it does not bother me

Piculet

Many, religious and non-religious alike, are unable to manage their egos and are overcome by the urge to be right.
How can you blame it on someone's ego that they want you to not burn in hell? Are they asking for money? Are they asking you to give something from yourself? Most people probably don't accept a religion on the spot anyway so most people spreading their religion won't even get the "reward" of knowing the result of their work.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Being right is a lot of work, particularly in areas where
it's not possible, ie, the old "nicht einmal falsch" scenario.
I like to state my personal "preferences".
Then there's no need to defend them.
I try that by saying " in my understanding" but I guess those words disappears somehow :confused:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do the opposite. I stay on RF until it does not bother me anymore, not even for 1 second.

In this context I remember the story about Buddha. A group of men came to Buddha and were verbal abusive to Buddha. Buddha remained calm, but His disciples got upset, and even got angry with Buddha that He allowed this to happen. Then Buddha replied "If the postman brings you a package, but the address and name don't match, what happens to the package"? If you really know the answer, your problem is solved instantly.

This type of stories give me inspiration and power and instant wisdom. And the more these people attack me, the more opportunity I have to think of Buddha and His Wisdom, so the faster I become enlightened.:). Maybe even thanks to those Atheists pressing me to think of the highest teaching all the time.

I also remember Sai Baba telling us "Some people go to the forest to meditate. That is easy, there is no challenge in this. Stay in the world, and keep meditating, that is the real challenge". Once I had to find a room in India, and a friend came with me, and told me "you can stay there". Oh, I replied, there is so much noice here, I better look for a quiet place to meditate, to which he replied "what is the challenge in that, you better take this room". So, of course I took the room:D. And now, after decades of practising this, the more crazy people shout, the more peace I feel inside.:D

Another great story of Sai Baba in this regard. Sai Baba told us "If someone verbally abuses you, be happy, because he takes your bad karma from you, and he gets bad karma. You should be thankful to them, it's a fast track on the Spiritual path".:D
Yes if was calm enough and my attachments was gone I would do as the Buddha :) but I am still a student who definitely have my own flaw to work on :)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
In the week or so since I come back to RF I noticed even more negativity then before I left.
And often (not always) the discussion derail because a non believer start asking questions that is non related to the OP, where it is very clear that their mission is to debunk any form of personal spiritual belief.

How do this people know they are correct when they can not prove the spiritual experience that others have is real?
What is the purpose of slandering a religion you do not follow your self? Yes I know you do not believe, burn the religious people do. And guess what, the religion is for the religious people to follow not the non religious.

And yes I know some religious people try to hard to convert you. But you can say No thank you. I do not believe, and just leave the discussion ;)

How hard can it be?
I don't think you know you are correct but I have noticed that just because you are smart, still about half the people will disagree with you.

Eyes to See

How hard can it be?

Greetings. It is a good question. I don't know what your religious background is but I can speak from the perspective of Holy Scripture.

There were two things I wanted to address. The first is the Bible tells a Christian that he must be ready to make a defense for why they have the faith they do, when asked to do so, together with a mild spirit and deep respect:

"Always ready to make a defense before everyone who demands of you a reason for the hope you have, but doing so with a mild temper and deep respect."-1 Peter 3:15.

Also we are told not to respond to ignorant questionings (or debates) knowing they produce fights:

"Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. 24 For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged,  instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth."-2 Timothy 2:25.

A forum setup like this may not be most conducive of having stimulating conversations with reasonable and open-minded people because of the open nature of it. Like you say, others who may not agree, and actually want to derail the thread may come and rant, troll, and try to derail the subject at hand.

The only thing I can say to this is that the forum has an ignore feature. I think that would be the best thing to do toward those whom you feel are behaving that way.

Just like you would hang up the phone on an unwanted solicitor calling you, use the ignore feature if you feel someone is derailing a thread and or trolling your posts for whatever reason.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't think you know you are correct but I have noticed that just because you are smart, still about half the people will disagree with you.
I don't say people should not disagree with me :) I expect many to disagree with my understanding, that is normal. But it is how they answer and how they attack religion or spiritual teachings that kind of get me a bit frustrated.

We can disagree and still be respectful toward each other.

stvdv

How can you blame it on someone's ego that they want you to not burn in hell? Are they asking for money? Are they asking you to give something from yourself?
Obviously it's all about ego.
And like a huge elephant they trample on other's heart/feelings/beliefs. So they have total lack of compassion/empathy.
First I was free of Hell, then someone comes to me and imposes Hell on me, next he gives a solution to avoid Hell.
I have an easier solution, don't impose Hell on me, then you don't need to provide a solution for Hell either.

And lastly, but not less important "Have you ever considered that you might be wrong about Hell?"

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I don't say people should not disagree with me :) I expect many to disagree with my understanding, that is normal. But it is how they answer and how they attack religion or spiritual teachings that kind of get me a bit frustrated.

We can disagree and still be respectful toward each other.
You can be atheist without being anti-religious and you can respect freedom of religion in the constitution.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How can you blame it on someone's ego that they want you to not burn in hell? Are they asking for money? Are they asking you to give something from yourself? Most people probably don't accept a religion on the spot anyway so most people spreading their religion won't even get the "reward" or knowing the result of their work.
I don't ask others to save me :) that I have to do by my self in of Falun Gong. I don't ask others to follow the teaching I do, prozelyting is not allowed in RF, otherwise I might tried to give more of my understanding of this teaching.
I respect any other religion and those who follow those teachings, and I respect that some people are atheists. This is not where my reaction come from.
I only want the very negative posters to think before they add a comment they know was made to hurt.