• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is
But I went to it when I was a kid
And even as a kid I thought it was rubbish
I expected it to be way more thrilling, perhaps more like a roller-coaster
I was very disappointed
Whether for a kid or adult false clergy used hellfire as a scare tactic to try to control the Flock of God.
As a kid I recall the priest reading Jesus' words to be in fear of him that can kill the soul.
So, I reasoned since Jesus believes that the soul can be killed there can be No burning for a dead soul.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Whether for a kid or adult false clergy used hellfire as a scare tactic to try to control the Flock of God.
As a kid I recall the priest reading Jesus' words to be in fear of him that can kill the soul.
So, I reasoned since Jesus believes that the soul can be killed there can be No burning for a dead soul.
What's that got to do with the Jorvik Viking Centre in York?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is like water off a duck's back for me because I know there is no such place.
There might be something that is akin to hell, but it is not a geographical location that people are sent to.
'akin to hell' but biblical hell is a geographical location.
For example: the day Jesus died Jesus went to hell - Acts 2:27
Not to some religious-myth hellfire place, but biblical hell the grave for the dead.
This is why Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' Not suffering for the dead.
- John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm sorry but that post you just made was hilarious

The post you replied to was about the JORVIK Viking Centre in York

And you thought I was talking about Hell

To me that is hilarious :D

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I feel nothing for the most part. I occasionally get excited and even enthusiastic. But mostly I feel nothing.
I believe in the void or an abyss. It's basically just a darkened forest. I love forests, day or night.
I like that you mentioned ' just a darkened forest.........'
A dark moon-less night would make a forest even darker.
To me Jesus was not in the dark while alive, but certainly at death in the dark.
The dark of deep sleep. 'Sleeping in death' as taught at John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Ezekiel speaks of the coming time when people can safely sleep in peace even in the woods / forest - Ezekiel 34:25

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't
It's a tool used by religious to retain its members from leaving by using their own primal fears on something that just isn't real.

Viker

Häxan
I like that you mentioned ' just a darkened forest.........'
A dark moon-less night would make a forest even darker.
To me Jesus was not in the dark while alive, but certainly at death in the dark.
The dark of deep sleep. 'Sleeping in death' as taught at John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Ezekiel speaks of the coming time when people can safely sleep in peace even in the woods / forest - Ezekiel 34:25
On moonless nights I can see the stars even better, if there's no overcast. If I am out there in that darkness I can build a fire. I'm an experienced bushcraft enthusiast. I'm also in tune with the forest and the darkness. I've thought about downsizing my lifestyle and living off grid.

Twilight Hue

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion
Hell in the terms of fire and brimstone, it's just too fantastical to even consider in the first place.

I mean we all know fire or even nuclear fusion like that of the sun requires fuel , and the thought that it's some magical type eternal flame that never goes out is just way too much to ever take seriously in the real world.

muhammad_isa

What people? Good people or people with evil intent?

I cannot recall being threatened by 'people' ..
..however, there are numerous references to hell in scripture.

Does it concern me? Yes, it does.
Do I take it personally? No, I don't.

I see it as a warning, that if I ignore scripture, I will reap the consequences.
..and it will be of my own doing .. self-torture, if you like.

Twilight Hue

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion
Hell in the terms of fire and brimstone, it's just too fantastical to even consider in the first place.

I mean we all know fire or even nuclear fusion like that of the sun requires fuel , and the thought that it's some magical type eternal flame that never goes out is just way too much to ever take seriously in the real world.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I think that in the long run a belief in Hell will do religions like Christianity more harm than good by making it look as though they are so desperate that they have to resort to scare tactics

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't
It hasn't happened ... yet. But I'm guessing I'd feel that I'd just met a fairly simple and foolish person.

Twilight Hue

I think that in the long run a belief in Hell will do religions like Christianity more harm than good by making it look as though they are so desperate that they have to resort to scare tactics
It's also contradictory especially when they say God is a god of love and mercy but at the same time when people go to heaven God will be at his job torturing people forever in Hell.

Somebody asked me once while I was a Christian , if I'd be eternally happy in heaven knowing that I got relatives/family suffering in Hell and the God I worship is the one doing it.

Oh the craziness of it all!