• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how do you feel when threatened with Hell?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
York's lovely there is so much to do, the railway museum, the minster, the great big museum, I enjoyed that

Found the Viking Centre a bit disappointing though indeed I think the ride it takes you on is a bit rubbish, it failed to bring history alive for me as it promised to :(

I went to the Jorvik center the day it opened, they hadn't quite got the smells right, some sweaty vikings were overpowering. But you're right, it's just a bunch of tableaux without feeling.

Altfish

Veteran Member
How do you feel when people threaten you with Hell?

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't
It is a bit like threatening me with the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot. I feel nothing because it isn't a threat.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

For me it brings about an enormous sense of superiority

I think it's supposed to scare me

It really doesn't

Sometimes I can tune it out and ignore it. As a former Christian, street preacher, and evangelism team leader, I know why the threat of hell is normally used, and that is to instill fear in a nonbeliever. Other times, it annoys me because the threats of hell turn out to be the go-to fearmongering tactic of a disgruntled evangelical Christian who is losing a debate with either me or other nonbelievers. It's even more annoying to me when they relish the thought.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I went to the Jorvik center the day it opened
Oh wow! Was it opened by some famous person like The Queen?
they hadn't quite got the smells right, some sweaty vikings were overpowering. But you're right, it's just a bunch of tableaux without feeling.
I think the ride sounds like a good idea, it's a shame that it sounding like a good idea didn't carry over into reality

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
street preacher,
When I was a Christian I once got invited to do some street preaching

Didn't want to though as it would have been in a quite rough town and there's no telling how people might of reacted

Did you hand out leaflets and stuff?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Oh wow! Was it opened by some famous person like The Queen?

I think the ride sounds like a good idea, it's a shame that it sounding like a good idea didn't carry over into reality

King, or now he's the king. Been and gone before we got there

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
King, or now he's the king. Been and gone before we got there
I saw him once, he came to my town when I was about ten

Some very rude people shouted out at him "you monkey eared twit" but it didn't seem to bother him, probably heard it all before

Well, it was something a little ruder than that......

Naturally I was outraged

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
When I was a Christian I once got invited to do some street preaching

Didn't want to though as it would have been in a quite rough town and there's no telling how people might of reacted

Did you hand out leaflets and stuff?

I preached while others on my team handed out gospel tracks and interacted with people who were interested in what we had to say. They also helped me interact with any hecklers. We never minded the hecklers when they showed up because, unbeknownst to them and to our amusement, they actually drew a larger crowd. We always had a plan, with me addressing the heckler first and then the others on my team playing off of that. Neither I nor anyone else on my team were ever disrespectful towards hecklers, but if they started to get out of hand, then the local authorities were called and brought in to deal with them. I could usually turn it around and either cause the heckler to finally give up or they stopped heckling and started to listen to my message.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I preached while others on my team handed out gospel tracks and interacted with people who were interested in what we had to say. They also helped me interact with any hecklers. We never minded the hecklers when they showed up because, unbeknownst to them and to our amusement, they actually drew a larger crowd. We always had a plan, with me addressing the heckler first and then the others on my team playing off of that. We were never disrespectful towards hecklers, but if they started to get out of hand, then the local authorities were called and brought in to deal with them. I could usually turn it around and either cause the heckler to finally give up or they stopped heckling and started to listen to my message.
I'd never want to do that

I don't mind standing up for myself but I tend to avoid scenarios that may lead to confrontation

I don't like confrontation

Not my style

ChristineM

Premium Member
I saw him once, he came to my town when I was about ten

Some very rude people shouted out at him "you monkey eared twit" but it didn't seem to bother him, probably heard it all before

Well, it was something a little ruder than that......

Naturally I was outraged

Outraged??? At age 10 you probably had a courser vocabulary than even the little rider shout

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If you don't believe in Hell...
how can you feel bothered by someone who threatens you with Hell?

It's totally illogical and irrational.
:)

I don't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Parmesan be upon him)

If someone told me that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will abduct me and kill me, I laugh, I don't care.
:)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Tell them I've been there and they have no idea
That just reminded me of what my late husband told me that his mother said. She was a fallen-away Christian.

She said:
"I don't know if there is a heaven but I know there is a hell because I have been it my whole life"

Ditto on that, and I am supposed to believe in heaven?

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is like water off a duck's back for me because I know there is no such place.
There might be something that is akin to hell, but it is not a geographical location that people are sent to.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I quite like York, particularly the Shambles area (some places will let you into the cellars so you can examine the Roman foundations.
And Bettys, the Yorkshire fat rascal's there are wonderful.
Bought my wife a jet ring from the jet jewellers in the Shambles. Only took about 30 years to find one she liked. :tearsofjoy:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
York's lovely there is so much to do, the railway museum, the minster, the great big museum, I enjoyed that

Found the Viking Centre a bit disappointing though indeed I think the ride it takes you on is a bit rubbish, it failed to bring history alive for me as it promised to :(
The Jorvik? I got the impression it's more aimed at kids (not been in though). But yeah, love York (and Bath).