• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Define God????

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God is a person's conception of just authority. One nation under God. It should be ' One nation under truth and just authority.

God is also an eternal being whom is omnipresent, and omnipotent and rules infinity with justice and Truth.

I am atheist, but I would love for their to be a truth that governs all of existence.

Bird123

When you look at a manual on how things are suppose to work, you can discover the underlying problems

Seems mankind has much to learn before they are capable of editing their holy book so that their manual can be effective.

I understand how God's system works. Nothing is hidden. Answers are well within the reach of those who seek Truth rather than Beliefs.

All the secrets of the universe stare us in the face. It's all a test of Intelligence.

Bird123

God never created hell so people would go there. human learned about hell after the fall of Adam and Eve, when they ate the forbidden fruit.

Stories are not Reality. Hell does not really exist. On the other hand, some hard lessons people choose for themselves can seem like eternal hell. Of course, people do learn, in time, to make the best choices which always returns great results.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Seems mankind has much to learn before they are capable of editing their holy book so that their manual can be effective.

I understand how God's system works. Nothing is hidden. Answers are well within the reach of those who seek Truth rather than Beliefs.

All the secrets of the universe stare us in the face. It's all a test of Intelligence.
Yes... to seek Truth is our goal.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
It all depends on how drunk I am. Sometimes I choose Urban Dictionary or sometimes I chose The Oxford Dictionary and if I am REALLY tired I may choose Webster's. But hey, I am no linguist :shrug:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
It's not touchy-feely. It's Math. As I see it, if you really knew God, your holy book would look much different to you. On the other hand, everything else would as well. The world would not be the mess you think it is. There is Method to the Madness.

Hmmm? Where does one find God if it is not served up on a plate as religion does?

So many people and religions focus on the Feeling part of God. For a Being capable of creating the universe, God has an Intellectual part. With that in mind, as I see it, THINKING is Required.

How can God be boxed and limited to a holy book written by men? It's not going to happen. This brings us to the question. How can one understand God when all one sees is a holy book, a box of the Beliefs of mankind? True Discovery comes from those willing to venture into Undiscovered Country.

We all Choose what we really want to Discover. Once again, our choices and actions define who we are, what we know, and what we need to learn. We each show the world and God what we know and what we need to learn. I do see you.

Since you lack evidence (textual, eyewitness, contemporaneous) to prove the Bible writers were fraudulent or mistaken, I would respectfully suggest your God is boxed (He can't write books for people to read).

Bird123

Since you lack evidence (textual, eyewitness, contemporaneous) to prove the Bible writers were fraudulent or mistaken, I would respectfully suggest your God is boxed (He can't write books for people to read).

The Evidence stares you in the face. The Bible is your Evidence.

Books have never been needed in God's system. It worked long before books were even invented.

As I see it, God's system is complete. Just be who you must. You will learn through your own free choices. This will happen regardless of any Beliefs. See? Math. It has all been figured out ahead of time.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The Evidence stares you in the face. The Bible is your Evidence.

Books have never been needed in God's system. It worked long before books were even invented.

As I see it, God's system is complete. Just be who you must. You will learn through your own free choices. This will happen regardless of any Beliefs. See? Math. It has all been figured out ahead of time.

Biblically, not all persons learn through exercising free will choices. Some choices confirm us closer to God, others alienate us from truth, until, as the Bible states, one's conscience is so defiled as to be stuck fast.

Bird123

Biblically, not all persons learn through exercising free will choices. Some choices confirm us closer to God, others alienate us from truth, until, as the Bible states, one's conscience is so defiled as to be stuck fast.

Yes, the Bible is very limited. It does teach some goodness, however it also teaches things it should not be doing such as the petty things mankind holds so dear.

God Loves Unconditionally. That means one is always close to God regardless of our choices and regardless of the lessons we choose for ourselves.

You are right. Some choices will keep one from the truth especially when one values Beliefs over the Truth. On the other hand, God places truth all around us. It waits to be discovered when one is ready to discover it.

Some people can get stuck, however there is always a way to get unstuck. On the other hand, it sometimes takes time. It's a good thing that there is no time limit on learning.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yes, the Bible is very limited. It does teach some goodness, however it also teaches things it should not be doing such as the petty things mankind holds so dear.

God Loves Unconditionally. That means one is always close to God regardless of our choices and regardless of the lessons we choose for ourselves.

You are right. Some choices will keep one from the truth especially when one values Beliefs over the Truth. On the other hand, God places truth all around us. It waits to be discovered when one is ready to discover it.

Some people can get stuck, however there is always a way to get unstuck. On the other hand, it sometimes takes time. It's a good thing that there is no time limit on learning.

How did you come to learn about God's unconditional love?

Bird123

How did you come to learn about God's unconditional love?

Years and years ago after becoming an adult, I questioned holy books and discovered so much of them simply did not add up. At this point, I wanted to know what was true and what wasn't. After all, if parts of holy books were not true how could one even know if God existed or not. Since I am one who must know I worked on the problem.

In this time-based causal universe, all actions can be seen. I started to study God's actions. How does one know what God's actions are? Since the universe and this world are creations of God, everything about it is a reflection of God and God's actions. If one can understand why things are done then one starts to discover what God is all about and how God thinks. What actually is can not be altered by mankind so truth will be the real truth not some beliefs in a book written by mankind.

Ebb and flow of knowledge along with the fact that everything must add up kept me venturing in the right direction. One must also be open to all possibilities. Truth is truth and it does not depend on what one wants it to be. My quest was to discover the real truth even if that truth turned out to be that God did not exist.

My Journey to Discovery has lasted many many years. This journey has led to God so God is not a belief to me. We are but mere ants. From my experience, I do understand why God is not having open conversations with everybody.

God has the sum of all knowledge. My Journey to Discovery will never end for there is always more to Discover. When one opens one door, it leads to other doors. This hungry student marches ever forward.

I have found no religion that really understands God yet it seems they all carry pieces of the puzzle.

The very first thing God showed me was that mankind carries such a Narrow View. I cry that. I work on mine every day.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Years and years ago after becoming an adult, I questioned holy books and discovered so much of them simply did not add up. At this point, I wanted to know what was true and what wasn't. After all, if parts of holy books were not true how could one even know if God existed or not. Since I am one who must know I worked on the problem.

In this time-based causal universe, all actions can be seen. I started to study God's actions. How does one know what God's actions are? Since the universe and this world are creations of God, everything about it is a reflection of God and God's actions. If one can understand why things are done then one starts to discover what God is all about and how God thinks. What actually is can not be altered by mankind so truth will be the real truth not some beliefs in a book written by mankind.

Ebb and flow of knowledge along with the fact that everything must add up kept me venturing in the right direction. One must also be open to all possibilities. Truth is truth and it does not depend on what one wants it to be. My quest was to discover the real truth even if that truth turned out to be that God did not exist.

My Journey to Discovery has lasted many many years. This journey has led to God so God is not a belief to me. We are but mere ants. From my experience, I do understand why God is not having open conversations with everybody.

God has the sum of all knowledge. My Journey to Discovery will never end for there is always more to Discover. When one opens one door, it leads to other doors. This hungry student marches ever forward.

I have found no religion that really understands God yet it seems they all carry pieces of the puzzle.

The very first thing God showed me was that mankind carries such a Narrow View. I cry that. I work on mine every day.

You may consider this a narrow view, but not all things are caused by God, since God has given us free will. I used my free will to question God, like you have, but also to test the hypotheses presented in the Bible.

Bird123

You may consider this a narrow view, but not all things are caused by God, since God has given us free will. I used my free will to question God, like you have, but also to test the hypotheses presented in the Bible.

Just as we are not helpless under the realm of free will, neither is God.

If you test the hypothesis presented in the bible and find it sound, that tells me either you accept and do not question or that there are many lessons you have yet to learn of the petty things mankind holds dear. There are many possible combinations of variables going on within you.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Just as we are not helpless under the realm of free will, neither is God.

If you test the hypothesis presented in the bible and find it sound, that tells me either you accept and do not question or that there are many lessons you have yet to learn of the petty things mankind holds dear. There are many possible combinations of variables going on within you.

There is more than one hypothesis presented in the Bible. How many have you tested?

Bird123

There is more than one hypothesis presented in the Bible. How many have you tested?

Perhaps you should define the hypothesis you examine. When stories do not add up, one starts to search for the facts that do. Just like all the physics add up so does everything about God.

Can you really say you agree with everything in your holy book? If you say yes, do you even question at all? Does frying your kids add up? If it does then what does that say about you?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Perhaps you should define the hypothesis you examine. When stories do not add up, one starts to search for the facts that do. Just like all the physics add up so does everything about God.

Can you really say you agree with everything in your holy book? If you say yes, do you even question at all? Does frying your kids add up? If it does then what does that say about you?

Yes, I agree with everything in the Bible.

Yes, I would be a mindless cultist if I didn't have sincere questions--that I pursue answers to.

No, you misunderstand free will, which is explained in the Bible. My children are not robots and are not forced to love me or God. They must make free will choices. Just as you do.

But any child that grows up in a loving home will want to pursue a relationship with God, like in Proverbs 22:6 - thanks.

Bird123

Yes, I agree with everything in the Bible.

Yes, I would be a mindless cultist if I didn't have sincere questions--that I pursue answers to.

No, you misunderstand free will, which is explained in the Bible. My children are not robots and are not forced to love me or God. They must make free will choices. Just as you do.

But any child that grows up in a loving home will want to pursue a relationship with God, like in Proverbs 22:6 - thanks.

Your children are not robots. They do not have to love you. You are not helpless under the realm of free will. Your actions do make a difference in their choices. Do you threaten them with Hell? God also is not helpless under the realm of free will and is not doing everything mankind claims.

If you agree with everything in the Bible then you do not question it. You accept it then the questions you do have, you find a way to make the answers fit the book. I can find a way to make horoscopes fit no matter what they say. They can't be wrong or can they? They are created by mankind as well.

All God's children have a relationship with God whether they realize it or not. As I see it, everyone already knows God. Each will remember when they bump into Him.

As I see it. God is much more than the sum of any book. As I see it, much more knowledge of God exists outside your holy book than within. On the other hand free choice is important. If you choose to live within a box of Beliefs, that is your free choice. There are lessons to be learned around every choice. We Live our lessons simply because that is the best way to Learn. Be who you must! It's a part of the plan!

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Your children are not robots. They do not have to love you. You are not helpless under the realm of free will. Your actions do make a difference in their choices. Do you threaten them with Hell? God also is not helpless under the realm of free will and is not doing everything mankind claims.

If you agree with everything in the Bible then you do not question it. You accept it then the questions you do have, you find a way to make the answers fit the book. I can find a way to make horoscopes fit no matter what they say. They can't be wrong or can they? They are created by mankind as well.

All God's children have a relationship with God whether they realize it or not. As I see it, everyone already knows God. Each will remember when they bump into Him.

As I see it. God is much more than the sum of any book. As I see it, much more knowledge of God exists outside your holy book than within. On the other hand free choice is important. If you choose to live within a box of Beliefs, that is your free choice. There are lessons to be learned around every choice. We Live our lessons simply because that is the best way to Learn. Be who you must! It's a part of the plan!

Children go straight to Heaven when they die. There is no need to push Hell at them. Adults need truth, not lies. Hell is real. Hell is necessitated by the advent of Paradise. I cannot be in Heaven mocking Jesus and Christians because it wouldn't be utopia for those there. It wouldn't be utopia in Heaven if a single Christian committed a single sin. The first time I cause you pain there, it isn't Paradise for you. Therefore, transformed persons will be ready for the new Kingdom and others will be (logically, justly) excluded.

I don't need to threaten anyone with anything. I need to speak truth to people. Famous atheist Penn Jillette is on the record that Christians who believe in Hell are hypocrites unless they warn others about Hell.

You end on a note that God is bigger than a book. He is, however, the 66 books inside the Bible contain vast reservoirs of God's truth. People who say the Bible is less than the whole truth or working for the other side. Don't work for the other side, serve the living God.

I also challenge the idea you shared that I'm boxed in by beliefs while you are not. We both have beliefs, we both have boxes to overcome. We need not be dogmatic on the wrong issues, we must be dogmatic on the right ones:

Hell is real - Heaven is real - choose.

Bird123

Children go straight to Heaven when they die. There is no need to push Hell at them. Adults need truth, not lies. Hell is real. Hell is necessitated by the advent of Paradise. I cannot be in Heaven mocking Jesus and Christians because it wouldn't be utopia for those there. It wouldn't be utopia in Heaven if a single Christian committed a single sin. The first time I cause you pain there, it isn't Paradise for you. Therefore, transformed persons will be ready for the new Kingdom and others will be (logically, justly) excluded.

I don't need to threaten anyone with anything. I need to speak truth to people. Famous atheist Penn Jillette is on the record that Christians who believe in Hell are hypocrites unless they warn others about Hell.

You end on a note that God is bigger than a book. He is, however, the 66 books inside the Bible contain vast reservoirs of God's truth. People who say the Bible is less than the whole truth or working for the other side. Don't work for the other side, serve the living God.

I also challenge the idea you shared that I'm boxed in by beliefs while you are not. We both have beliefs, we both have boxes to overcome. We need not be dogmatic on the wrong issues, we must be dogmatic on the right ones:

Hell is real - Heaven is real - choose.

Hmmm? Do you really see all Christian who you deem as going to Heaven really getting along on all issues???? They can't get along on Earth. Why do you think it will be different anywhere else? It does not add up.

You speak of the other side. Don't you realize? There are no SIDES.

We do not have to be dogmatic at all. Why choose it?

You speak of beliefs and value them highly. Beliefs are no more than a direction one might search to Discover the Truth. I do not value beliefs as you do. There are ways to discover real truth. One must first value Truth above Beliefs. On the other hand, believing takes little work. It is much easier. Discovery is hard work but the results are better. As I see it. It is the only path to the Real Truth.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hmmm? Do you really see all Christian who you deem as going to Heaven really getting along on all issues???? They can't get along on Earth. Why do you think it will be different anywhere else? It does not add up.

You speak of the other side. Don't you realize? There are no SIDES.

We do not have to be dogmatic at all. Why choose it?

You speak of beliefs and value them highly. Beliefs are no more than a direction one might search to Discover the Truth. I do not value beliefs as you do. There are ways to discover real truth. One must first value Truth above Beliefs. On the other hand, believing takes little work. It is much easier. Discovery is hard work but the results are better. As I see it. It is the only path to the Real Truth.

What doesn't add up is a bunch of people having vehement disagreement inside a utopian Heaven. That means it isn't a utopia. Jesus tells us a transformation is necessary. I'm not ready for Heaven today, but when the time comes, I will be ready, since I've trusted in Christ.

If you need an example of when dogmatism is bad, we can start with I understand you are dogmatic that I should not believe the Bible is the Word of God.

PS. On your hard road of Discovery, are you not discovering facts?