• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Pagans feel about Christians and Why?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I could swear I've posted this before but apparently I've not and there's no draft post. o_O

I don't mind most Christians since most Christians are people I don't know or are people I do know and like. On the other hand, Christianity, particularly in political circles, induces a rolling of the eyes. The Starbucks cup debacle is just the latest example of why Christianity just isn't that great. In order for the religion to prosper there needs to be a divisive, conflict-based narrative because it's framed in the context of good vs. evil, God vs. Satan. There doesn't leave a lot of room for tolerating other points of view. That's typical of most monotheisms though. I don't much like the theology either. Their god seems like such a joyless, boring crotchety old scrote. He creates humans with the ability to feel happiness, joy, pleasure etc then he rules such things to be sins. It's so pointless.

And there are two ideas behind the nature of man that are just daft:

1. Mainstream Christianity has Original Sin (which no god who is truly just would ever sanction).
  2. The Mormon creation story which says we all agreed to be put here as a test so we could become like God. And it's an agreement God will bind us to even though he won't let us remember it.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
199c358f8af797573a7a99caba788a23.jpg

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I have a question I never really got to ask any christian. How do you feel about non christians pulling you and other christians into the history of your faith?
I used to really hate that in my young radical days; here I was trying to reform the world, and people were holding me accountable for the decisions of the crusaders?

But I got older and wiser and realized the "past" is really just a story we tell about ourselves, and its often a foray into talking about something that needs to be talked about. I do think it is kind of funny when Pagans do it, as Roman rule was hardly a benevolent power even before the Christians took over.

kalyan

Aspiring Sri VaishNava
Many pagans are not comfortable with Christianity because it has a tendency to make them feel worthless as human beings. Christianity tends to teach that humans are inherently evil, we are like scum to God, we must beg for forgiveness for even the smallest moral transgressions or face eternal torture. For many pagans, the Christian God seems not like a God of Love, but a jealous monster God of Hate.

What kind of God would torture its children eternally while claiming to love them? This, for many pagans, is a contradiction that implies to them that the "fear factor" of the Christian religion (hell, hell fire, demons, satan, etc) is simply a means of controlling people, and holds no truth-- if you believe you are inherently "bad" and that "bad" people go to Hell, and if you believe that the only way to AVOID Hell is not just to ask for forgiveness, but to go to church, support your church, get new followers to go to your church, KILL for your church (it's all happened in history)... well, then it is easy to believe that something is definitely controlling your mind, your time, your money, your morals... and it's not Satan!

Pagans prefer to see that humans are inherently GOOD, that God loves us despite our flaws and gives us many chances (many lives) to gradually learn and perfect ourselves.
best poast

Paleo

Primitivism and chill
I do not harbor any hate towards Christians, not just because I was once one but because I tend to feel people on a case by case basis. My Grandmother, for example, is Baptist and I love her dearly. Hate never benefits anyone, negativity breeds negativity and love breeds love therefore I prefer to be a being that shows love. I view Christianity the same way I view Abrahamic faiths in general, not something I entirely agree with as the whole push I often receive of 'do this or you'll burn' is unpleasant and a little rude but (there's always a but) there's good in them too. Sure, there's a negative side but that's true of most. I approach all with a open heart.

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
The woman I love is a Christian. I do not hate them, however in Christianity I am an enemy that must be killed. But I try to keep a sense of humor about the past. Like with this.

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 103

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I think it's easy to see why a Pagan might not have the best attitude towards Christians. There's certainly a distrust that forms when so many condemn us to hell, insult us, push us away, and relentlessly try to convert us. This seems to be a pretty widespread view; we don't mind Christians as a whole but there's definitely tension.

When it comes to the religion itself I do vary from a lot of Pagans in my views. Personally I don't like when religion regulates behavior or when it teaches any form of hate. This is just a personal view, my views are not at all representations of the Pagan community as a whole. I tend to get angry when religion regulates how people live their lives. When people say "I can't because my religion says so," or "I would but my religion says it's bad," I get angry, I just do. I honestly feel bad for people who believe that they -must- do something or -cannot- do something without worrying about an eternal punishment. People should live their lives freely in accordance to their own will with religion as a gentle guide, not a fun-stopping, life-regulating, intrusive force. This applies to religion as a whole, not just Christianity.

Personally, Christianity always made me feel bad about myself, not better. There's the constant threat of hell, people are inherently bad, we need to beg for forgiveness, our instincts are evil, humans as a whole are inferior. This has always settled badly in my stomach and in the stomachs of many other Pagans who can agree that we prefer a world where we have some authority, some control over our lives, where we can act freely, explore our instincts, and commune with the divine. Many of us prefer to let the universe/the gods/our own instincts guide us rather than following strict dogma.

Cassandra

How come so many Pagans detest Christianity?
It is really baffling that Christians ask this question

It is like a Nazi asking: How come so many Jews detest Nazism?
Yes indeed, why would they?
What on Earth could they have against Nazism?

Yes How could a Pagan detest Christianity after endless torture and genocide to destroy their traditions?
It baffles the Christian.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
For the religion, I have rather negative feelings towards it. I cannot reconcile it (or any other Abrahamic religion's teachings/doctrines/dogmas) with my own life and personal experiences or what I believe in. It also has a very antagonistic history with polytheistic faiths.

Christians, on the other hand, are a mixed barrel. They are people, after all. Some of them have been truly wonderful people who endeavor to take all the positives of their religion and express them while others are incredibly vile people who are extremely dogmatic and fanatic.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How did I ever miss the opportunity in this thread to offer my highly valued devalued two cents!? :eek: OK, first silliness of the day completed...

I don't detest, hate, despise or dislike Christianity, nor do I detest, hate, despise or dislike Christians. My entire family is Christian, Roman Catholic to be precise; friends, coworkers and 80% of people I know are Christian. I am up to my armpits in Christians.

Except for anonymous and largely irrelevent internet Christians, I can't say any have done me any harm. Not even the fundamentals and evangelicals who've tried to legislate my life according to their beliefs; they always fail. Yay US Constitution!

As a matter of fact, once I left Christianity I actually have come to understand it, and Jesus's message in a different light. I would not return to Christianity because the theology doesn't work for me.

I think many (but certainly not all) Pagans and Heathens detest Christianity for several reasons:
  • They don't understand it, never having been Christian; they parrot, meme and regurgitate that which they don't understand.
  • Those who were Christian feel "wounded" and overcompensate i.e. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
As a side note, what I do dislike and think is highly disrespectful from Heathens are the memes such as "My God carries a hammer, yours was nailed to a cross" and "Jesus promised the end of all wicked people, Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see any ice giants" (neither Jesus nor Odin ever said any such thing). :rolleyes:

In the end, Christianity or anything else, is as relevant or irrelevant as you make it or want it to be.

Cassandra

I think many (but certainly not all) Pagans and Heathens detest Christianity for several reasons:
  • They don't understand it, never having been Christian; they parrot, meme and regurgitate that which they don't understand.
  • Those who were Christian feel "wounded" and overcompensate i.e. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
In the end, Christianity or anything else, is as relevant or irrelevant as you make it or want it to be.

Why not accept what people write in stead of making all kind of allegations up?

My view on this:

For me Christianity is not what the average Christian believes, I have no beef with those people, It is not Pagans who judge people on beliefs. If I like someone I do not care what his beliefs are. Generally sane people have sane beliefs as few even read the bible.

My problem is Christian ideology and how that worked out in history. I was raised a Christian by the way, I know it inside out. I read the bible five times to try to understand how pious Christians could do horrible things to their fellow man. And I finally came to conclusions that they understood the bible better than me. Jesus is not the wonderful kind peaceful person normal people automatically presume. He is an megalomaniac of the worst kind. The bible is very deceptive. In the bible values are cleverly redefined.

Truth = parroting the bible
Love from God = mercy, not destroying you for being born (original sin)
Love to God = unconditional obedience (your only chance to escape gods torture)
Peace = not harmony in this world, but joining Jesus in heaven. Om Earth Jesus brings division and the sword.
justice = not based on action but belief. Those who join are forgiven anything, those who reject nothing
Neighbor = A Christian or a prospect, but never someone who rejects Christianity
Satan/Devil = all other Gods
Children of Satan = All people who continue to worship their Gods after being brought the gospel
Honesty = only necessary when testifying in court of law, and swearing on the bible
Slavery = fine, do anything the master desires, accept beatings, work even harder for Christian masters
Injustice = accept any injustice and NEVER revolt
Suffering = good for you, it is the path to heaven

Buddhism, Christianity and Islam should not be compared with Pagan religions. They are doctrines that came about as cults around founders. They carry an ideology that is independent of peoples culture/tradition and tries to replace it with some ideal of perfect human being that creates incredibly vain people who think they live in the truth.

Pagan religions are simply culture based traditions, customs, knowledge that protect their identity and harmony. The two are totally different. Ideologies are spread by empires to break peoples own identity. People with strong identity will revolt to being colonized. In Europe you can see it in Scotland, Basque Country, Catalonia. These people keep striving for Independence, freedom. In Turkey it is the Kurds. In the Soviet Union they did everything to destroy peoples own culture by moving people around. Empires want to destroy peoples own character, create subjects that are like loose sand, individuals with no allegiance. People that can not revolt to their exploitation because their is no coherence. That is why they use these ideologies, it is not enough to enslave peoples bodies, you need to enslave their minds as well. The call it religion but is only an artificial substitute with fake values.

If it does not bother you what Nazi ideology did bring about, call yourself a Nazi. If it does not bother you what Christian ideology brought about, call yourself a Christian. And if they attack you, just say: Those were not the real Nazi's, those were evil people. But they are the people that were highly trained in the ideology. Common people never ever persecuted a witch. It was always trained intellectuals that followed crazy theories based on book ideology that did that.

I will befriend as easily with a Christian as the next person. I look at the spirit (s)he carries. For me a Pagan is not a better person than a Christian. That is Christian ideology. Paganism does not even feature ideology. Christianity likely started out as a violent revolt of the oppressed against the evil of the Roman empire. When it became to dangerous it was adopted by the rulers and changed in a religion of the oppressors, by bribing the priests with a monopoly on religion. Then revolt became the thing forbidden most.

Yes the Roman empire was already deeply perverted when it was Pagan. The imperial cult and its Godmen worship was an abomination that was continued in Christianity when Jesus was turned into God. When people in power start to believe they are Gods (or highest servants of God) and let themselves be worshiped as such, they become utterly ruthless. The idea that a man can be God is extremely dangerous and a great inspiration to psychopaths. That is why so many psychopathic leaders were inspired by this idea.

Of course people like to have an human being as an example to look up to and follow and if these people are truly virtuous they can be very uplifting. King Rama certainly answers to the highest standard of ethics. Krishna does too but is a more complex figure, Buddha is a more limited for people seeking a way to end suffering. Abraham is a conman, Moses is a murderer who turns into a mass murderer. Jacob is a deceiver. Jesus is sadomasochistic megalomaniac. Mohamed is a fairly merciless military commander using religion for his own pleasures. When people start to call less honorable people perfect, this automatically creates degradation of values, as all shortcomings are whitewashed. That is why mangods and other "perfect humans" are a dangerous affair.

Idealism and ideology always have a bright and a dark side. They inspire people to work together, at the same time it creates a merciless attitude towards those who are said to stand in the way of the great ideal. The higher the ideology is held, the more human beings are lowered that do not fit in it. For the Pagan it is not black and white. But in ideology it easily becomes black and white. Or as Jesus puts it: "Those who are not with us, are against us". Friend or Foe, nothing in between.

People following this ideology will never respect Paganism. They will bring their Gospel, and it you reject that, you reject their God, and you condemned yourself to damnation. You are no longer a human being. Because as Jesus says in John, the people that follow him are different kind of people, a different race, the people that come from heaven and want to reunite with God, because they are made in Gods image. Those that reject Jesus and thus God, can not be made in Gods image and are people of the Earth, Children of Satan. You follow earth bound religions in stead of heaven ruler religions? Than you are basically an animal, not a soul who came down to Earth and want to return to heaven. That is why Christians have treated these people as animals, and often declared them to be animals. Try to understand the ideology behind it.

Now normal sane Christians and Muslims know little about these things, just the geste. They know to stay away from "those people". But if they have good character they are still good people. Did you never wonder why people with their nose deep in the holy books become the must ruthless murderers? Why often such people walk with their nose in the air? Why it is the priesthood that leads the attacks on people outside the fold?

Sorry Thorbjorn, you mean well, but suggesting that dislike for Christianity as a "religion" is based on lack of knowledge, distinction or familiarity is rather presumptuous. I know Christianity the good and the bad. If I reject Christianity it is not because it was bad for me personally. I have no trauma. But even as a child I simply could not understand how Christians could shove millions of people into the oven. But now I know Jesus says that the unbelievers will be thrown into the fire. They based burnings throughout history on that. They are perfectly rational, better kill a few and save a lot, than have all them be burned by God. It is inhumane but rational. Just like a general will sacrifice a few divisions to win the battle. In Christian ideology existence is a cosmic battle between good and evil and casualties are unavoidable. But not on their side, the side of humans.

Look how few in the USA bother much about the millions of innocent Vietnamese whose lives were destroyed, only tens of thousands of their own are commemorated. How they do not care about the millions of innocent Muslims that die in the Middle East, but are abhorred by the murder of tens of them. Or how they found it perfectly reasonable to throw two atom bombs on non-Christians civilians to save some of their soldiers. The life of a believer and an non-believer have not the same value in this ideology, and even if people do not know all this, they are breathing these racist ideas in. You know what, I met the kindest of Christians, helpful and kind, but when the subject comes to Jews or black people or homosexuals, or Muslims or people who do not believe in God, they can suddenly surprise you with strong bias and rejection, the poison they breathed in.

Please spare the moralizing preaches that we should all love each other. It is Jesus that preaches that victims should love their persecutors and enemies. It is heralded as the pinnacle of ethics, to be perfect like God. But it is rather the reversal of ethics. One shows one's humanity through acting humanely, not by following belief. And funny enough Jesus himself fails bitterly in loving the ones who reject him and can not forgive them. Can Jesus love Satan, the enemy of God? No he can not love his enemies, he only preaches that in his corrupt ethics. And People have a right and duty to stand up to injustice. To have all the power of God and not end the gross suffering in the world while you can, but only give demonstrations of power, is highly unethical too. To preach the road to heaven is through suffering is no less than perverse sadomasochism.

You talk condescending, the way Christians like to do. If you know so much better master, let young Padawam show you a video and text. Nothing special, Just some witnesses of people that haven been at the receiving end of this ideology for centuries. Maybe your heart will open not only to Christians who will always feel martyrs, but rather their victims. Yes my heart bleeds for these people. What is spirituality without being able to feel the pain of others? It is just ego-tripping. I feel for Christians too, for me most are simply victim of a brainwash that serves a unjust system. I do not hate them, but I feel more for the bigger victims. just like I feel for all those poor Germans being led to destruction by an megalomaniac, who also was inspired by the mangod idea and only wanted to bring his own people to greatness, but even more for those that ended in their horror camps.

The reason for writing about Christianity is to make clear the difference between cultural traditions of a people and universal ideological cults like Christianity. They are completely different entities. One seeks harmony the other seeks domination. We both call themselves religion, but Pagans would not talk about their "religion", for them it was simply their way of life, and they often did not even have a word for it. The never fully understood what happened to them when Christianity entered their territories. They never understood why they became the enemy. Would it not be great if Christians could actually heighten their consciousness.

Last edited:

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Will not even bother responding to your smearing of Christianity or bizarre reading of the Bible. But your hatred of "God-men" is interesting to me, coming from such an apparently proud Pagan. Such beliefs began in ancient Egypt at the latest, not the late Roman empire. Do you reject all forms of theurgy? Do you hate the names of Cu Chulaind and Perseus? Is the "Drawing Down the Moon" ritual anathema to you? I have never seen apotheosis or theurgy as an expressly Christian concept, it is something we have in common with the rest of the Pagan world. From the oracles of Greece to the horse cults of the north, a blurred line between human and divine has always been a part of the European religious culture. I bore the Young God briefly this Ostara past, and it was a deeply moving and very, very Paganexperience.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Cassandra My post was my opinion and beliefs; saying "I think" gives that away. I don't know and I don't care what your diatribe is about, but given its tone and incoherence vis-á-vis my comments, it's not worthy of further response.

EverChanging

More than once I've seen a claim that Christianity teaches that humans are inherently bad. What sect is that exactly? In the Episcopal Church I've always been taught that humans are made in the divine image, and people do not seem afraid of God. In Catholicism in particular it is emphasized that human nature is good. Quakerism, too.

I am on the edge of Christianity and there are some things that bother me (as with any religion I've come across) but my experience of the Episcopal Church is completely different than what people are describing here, and so is my experience of the Methodist Church. It's more accurate to speak of Christianities than Christianity. There is not just one Christianity -- there have always been diverse groups and theologies in Christianity since the Jesus movements that would originally give rise to Christianity. Different groups don't even have the same scriptural canon always. Not even all Lutherans agree on that.

I would also observe that while it is certainly wrong to discriminate against or insult neo-pagan people it can be offensive to indigenous or native peoples when neo-pagans claim that their suffering is the same as their own or claim the suffering of bygone pagan peoples as their own. Those were different people with very different cultures and religions than us. It can be especially offensive when these claims are being made by first world white people who have little or no connection to the suffering of said cultures, groups, or religions.

Baladas

An Págánach
More than once I've seen a claim that Christianity teaches that humans are inherently bad. What sect is that exactly?

It's the doctrine of Original Sin running amok, and being interpreted and used in different ways.
I was taught it in my Christian walk (mainly Nondenominational), and it is central to the faith of those who believe it (at least in my experience).

I'm sure you are familiar with original sin, but the way I have known it basically it goes like this: Human nature was originally good, before the original sin.
The original sin tainted us all with sin, and the only way to be cleansed was through Jesus Christ.
Without being cleansed by Jesus Christ, God the Father will view you as impure at the final judgment, and will be forced (by His nature) to cast you from His pure presence.

More often than not, this includes eternal damnation in hell.

I am certainly glad not to be chained by those frightening beliefs anymore!

EverChanging

It's the doctrine of Original Sin running amok, and being interpreted and used in different ways.
I was taught it in my Christian walk (mainly Nondenominational), and it is central to the faith of those who believe it (at least in my experience).

I'm sure you are familiar with original sin, but the way I have known it basically it goes like this: Human nature was originally good, before the original sin.
The original sin tainted us all with sin, and the only way to be cleansed was through Jesus Christ.
Without being cleansed by Jesus Christ, God the Father will view you as impure at the final judgment, and will be forced (by His nature) to cast you from His pure presence.

More often than not, this includes eternal damnation in hell.

I am certainly glad not to be chained by those frightening beliefs anymore!

Original sin as taught in Catholicism does not entail the notion that human nature is bad. Of course sects differ. The Eastern Christians have no concept of original sin. My point here is there isn't just one Christianity.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Original sin as taught in Catholicism does not entail the notion that human nature is bad. Of course sects differ. The Eastern Christians have no concept of original sin. My point here is there isn't just one Christianity.

The terminology and juicy details can vary but the idea that human nature is sinful/"all fall short of the Glory of God" is foundational...bringing in the need for redemption and salvation. That combined with Jesus' sacrifice as the redemption and salvation is Christianity in a nutshell.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
The terminology and juicy details can vary but the idea that human nature is sinful/"all fall short of the Glory of God" is foundational...bringing in the need for redemption and salvation. That combined with Jesus' sacrifice as the redemption and salvation is Christianity in a nutshell.
No, Everchanging is right; Augustine never caught on in the Eastern church the way he did in the West.