• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I get started?

KeeraBaby

Okay so I've researched almost every religion like a year ago because I was searching for one, but then I stopped because I couldn't decide on just one. Now I'm searching for my true religion again I have a few that pull on my heart that make my head say "pick me I'm the religion you want and need!" Haha but foreal I'm between like four without going into the different sects of each of the four. The four that really have stuck with me is Paganism, Wiccan, Hinduism, and Buddhism. I also am in love with Taoism but I feel its more of a philosophy than a religion. I guess what I'm asking here is how can I do more research on these four individual religions like its really hard finding reliable information online, but I don't have a library or anywhere where I could get books to read about them. So what would be the easiest way for me to do more research on these religions? Maybe if anyone here could give me a brief description of the four it'd be great and all their different sects and divisions like how there's many different sects in paganism such as asatru, etc. Thank you!

Treks

Hi Keera..

You can easily start with wikipedia and branch out from there - it will give you somewhere to start from. You could also ask about each religion in those religions DIRs.

And just to clarify, Wicca is a "sect" of Paganism, but "sect" is probably not the right term.

So there you go, your list is already down to 3 ;)

HonestJoe

Why do you feel the need to pick a specific religion? What do you expect to be different were you to choose one compared to how life is for you now? Couldn’t it be that the reason you’ve not been able to settle on a single religion is that there isn’t one that suits you?

I’m certainly not discouraging you from learning more about these faiths (and others) but why not look in to them not on the basis of identifying one entire package of beliefs and practices which you can say “I’ll take all of that” but with a wider view of the principles, ideas and reasoning to feed your own and reach a unique set of conclusions that suit you personally?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Lots of forum searches and Googling, bookmarking websites that look promising. If you go for the easiest, simplified summaries - you won't get much in return.

Samples of books for Kindle or similar are pretty good too...and Wikipedia as Treks said, mainly as a starting point.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, my main suggestion is to stop researching and start practicing. One's religion is a way of life. You aren't going to figure this out by sticking to book learning. You need to do the things. Paganisms (including Hinduisms) in particular emphasize practice over creeds. As @Rick O'Shez said, finding others who practice and joining in on the rituals and celebrations would be one approach, but you can also do things on your own.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Okay so I've researched almost every religion like a year ago because I was searching for one, but then I stopped because I couldn't decide on just one. Now I'm searching for my true religion again I have a few that pull on my heart that make my head say "pick me I'm the religion you want and need!" Haha but foreal I'm between like four without going into the different sects of each of the four. The four that really have stuck with me is Paganism, Wiccan, Hinduism, and Buddhism. I also am in love with Taoism but I feel its more of a philosophy than a religion. I guess what I'm asking here is how can I do more research on these four individual religions like its really hard finding reliable information online, but I don't have a library or anywhere where I could get books to read about them. So what would be the easiest way for me to do more research on these religions? Maybe if anyone here could give me a brief description of the four it'd be great and all their different sects and divisions like how there's many different sects in paganism such as asatru, etc. Thank you!
I think your choices of Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism are all on the right track (I am not as familiar with the broader categories of Wiccan and Paganism). But find one that grabs your heart the strongest and just dig into that. My favorite spiritual teacher says it is better to dig one deep hole than a few shallow holes. All intelligent paths will lead you to the same place in the end. The key is detachment from material events and a true feeling of brotherly love with all.

Treks

In my own seeking for religion (and I use that term here deliberately), I've found that it's easier to go with something more familiar to your own culture than a foreign one. Easier to learn, more relatable, and little language barrier.

What may have been the religion of your ancestors?

Milton Platt

Why don't you start with examining reality and then just discard religions one by one if they do not correctly and truthfully reflect reality?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Honestly, my main suggestion is to stop researching and start practicing. One's religion is a way of life. You aren't going to figure this out by sticking to book learning. You need to do the things. Paganisms (including Hinduisms) in particular emphasize practice over creeds. As @Rick O'Shez said, finding others who practice and joining in on the rituals and celebrations would be one approach, but you can also do things on your own.

Totally concur ... its not in books.

KeeraBaby

In my own seeking for religion (and I use that term here deliberately), I've found that it's easier to go with something more familiar to your own culture than a foreign one. Easier to learn, more relatable, and little language barrier.

What may have been the religion of your ancestors?

I'm not sure about my ancestors I know basically nothing about my heritage and where I come from.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is interesting. Tell us about your parents (if I am not infringing on your privacy). If I go by what is presumed here, I can definitely trace a cousin in 1,000 BC. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not sure about my ancestors I know basically nothing about my heritage and where I come from.
That's fairly common these days, with about the 3rd generation of agnosticism. Trying to practice with people who follow a faint you're interested in is quite dependent on where you live. Only large urban areas have most stuff.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Paganism, Wiccan, Hinduism, and Buddhism, all interesting and likely natural to your self seeking path.

I would say, with full disclosure that while I am a bit of a "magician" in my own, but not a Wiccan and so cannot speak on their behalf, this way is more of an instructional method, a program if you will, and less opportunity to gather with devotees in a temple, church or institution.

But for the other three, one way to "get a communion" if you will, where association DOES have a big role to play, is to VISIT A TEMPLE of these three. And if there is by chance a temple of Wiccans, go there as well.

I invite you to visit a Hindu temple. That would be a great way to see about how you a part of something in a natural way.

If you live in the United States, I think a Hindu temple could be within driving distance. And since Buddhism has had a 100 year "head start" over Hinduism in America, there are just as many if not more Buddhist temples.

I would add one more suggestion.

Deeply explore the ART of each. That is a "book" that is a magic mirror that may, likely can, unlock a door into the next step.

arthra

Baha'i
how can I do more research on these four individual religions like its really hard finding reliable information online, but I don't have a library or anywhere where I could get books to read about them. So what would be the easiest way for me to do more research on these religions?

Keera,

What I'd recommend is visiting the religions you're interested in around where you live... In my area we have a Hindu temple, Buddhist temples, Sikh temple and such. Until you actually see how people conduct themselves in that given religion you won't have a clue as to how the adherents are living and acting... You'll learn a great deal by meeting people ..whjo are adherents.

Next you could check out inter-faith groups nearby where you live that will give you a good way to appraise the religions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I want to share a little of what I learned. I will try and be brief. A lot of religions pull at my heart and brain. However, I found that learning about religions I like only reinforces that belief, practice, and study are separate. I've only studied three religions out of my life; because, I knew there was something more than study.

In my humble opinion, religion should be your life. It should be your morals, beliefs, your practice (even if you don't practice all the time), and worldview. It should shape your decisions and how you live your life. That's a religion.

So, when you are searching for a religion, be mindful it isn't like finding the best clothes to wear for an evening event. It's your life.

With that said, I think maybe write down the morals and beliefs you already have. Take a sheet(s) of paper and draw two vertical lines to create three columns. Your first column is your beliefs/morals/values and what you do (interest/career/etc) on an everyday basis and what things you avoid.

The third column is your notes and the middle is the religions that match with your morals. So, instead of matching your morals with a religion, you match your religion with your morals. I say this because if we hold something of high priority, say family, and you find a religion that says "disregard your family" which will you choose?

In your notes, you can write what you learned about the beliefs you researched so far. I'd start off with your goals/morals/values/and priorities on the first column. Don't research anything until you got most your priorities written. Then you know if your ancestors are most important to you, you don't need to go through the thousand Christian denominations that don't put their ancestors at high grounds as other religions whose foundations are grounded on ancestral veneration.

Another way to cut down on your research is do you believe in the supernatural? How do you define it? What is your view of god(s)? How do you define The Buddha? and so forth.

Get a journal and throughout the day just think of things that you care most about. Are you spontaneous? Disciplined? These make the difference in if you want to say follow Buddhism which is based on discipline and practice or some monotheism (not just Christianity) that are focused on beliefs and tenants.

Then, since you love studying, are you more pulled to the ideas from religion or from the practice? If you are intrigued by ideas, maybe going into mystical religions, Gnostic, or some parts of Mahayana Buddhism (I'm not familiar with Hinduism and "politically correct" views on Paganism).

How do you define worship? Do you value looking up, looking down, or looking at the same level of your idea, god(s), or person of your given faith?

That, and why do you need to pick only one faith? For me personally, I don't care for multiple faiths. Do you have a former faith? If so, what beliefs do you still hold on to and want to keep?

A lot of questions but they are mostly reflective and for your personal interest.

:leafwind:

My advice is to write down your morals/values/priorities.
Do you value ideas over action? (For example, many new age beliefs value ideas while Paganism, Buddhism, and Hinduism focus on practice)
Do you believe in the supernatural? If so, how do you define it?
Do you believe in god(s)? How you define god(s)?

Put the books away for a minute and just meditate or reflect on what you already believe.

That, my last thought.

In my humble opinion, the religious beliefs that you read that in your head you hear "but that's common sense" are the ones you may keep in mind not the ones that say "I like this. This is good". I love a lot of things about Catholicism but majority of it makes no common sense to me whatsoever. It's not my reality.

On the other hand, a lot of things in Buddhism is odd but I still find it common sense when I delve deeper beyond book level.

Also, how do you define religion? Do you want the religion to be your life or is it separate? That will also decern which religion that you may be comfortable with. Most are "this is our live" religions-the community ones. If you're a loner, the ballgame is yours.