• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I classify my beliefs?

ConradDaniel

Hello, I have recently joined these forums to try and classify my beliefs, as the title suggests.

This is how I’ve always felt about where I stand religiously and I want to know if and what term is for this.

I believe in a higher power. I believe at some point some thing or moment or event of extreme importance and greatness happened such that the possibility for something and nothing was possible. I don’t, however, believe in a “God”— atleast not one I’m aware of.

I believe the “answers” to “who?”, “what?”, “where? , and “when?” Are so abstract and far beyond our understanding that we’ll never understand the true mechanisms of our universe. All we have is each other, and there’s something amazing about that.

Is there a term for this? Does this make me agnostic? Anyone else feel this way?

Thank you for taking you for reading.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hello, I have recently joined these forums to try and classify my beliefs, as the title suggests.

This is how I’ve always felt about where I stand religiously and I want to know if and what term is for this.

I believe in a higher power. I believe at some point some thing or moment or event of extreme importance and greatness happened such that the possibility for something and nothing was possible. I don’t, however, believe in a “God”— atleast not one I’m aware of.

I believe the “answers” to “who?”, “what?”, “where? , and “when?” Are so abstract and far beyond our understanding that we’ll never understand the true mechanisms of our universe. All we have is each other, and there’s something amazing about that.

Is there a term for this? Does this make me agnostic? Anyone else feel this way?

Sounds like a form of deism to me.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Do you believe in God as the universe itself? or God as something separate that is in all of the universe? (that may or may not interact with sentient beings, not in a theistic sense though)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@QuestioningMind

My point: when looking for accuracy, we address what the feelings are based on: our conclusions. If our conclusions are correct, some people say their feelings are correct. If their conclusions are incorrect, some say it was their feelings.

Its a language preference.

Feelings cannot be true or false only our conclusions based on our feelings.

Night.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Maybe this can help...

Religion+flow+chart_f0f84a_5424006.jpg

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would go with "spiritual but not religious". And yes, plenty of others feel the ways you describe, and likewise find the traditional image of God as some anthropomorphic projection, the "guy in the sky" deity, to fall a bit flat in the face of the experience of Reality. I see God more in terms of Brahman, the Source of everything in and through everything and not some separate "entity". It is Love that gives rise to everything that is.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Deism, if you don't believe that this higher power intervenes in our lives. So no miracles, no prophets, no sacred text, no prayer wishes coming true, etc. Basically just a higher power that started it all, that some people chose to label as "god". There's some variation of it, but that's the one most often mentioned from my experience. You didn't indicate anything beyond this higher power, so if you don't have a position on it other than it created the universe, it would seem fitting to call you a Deist.

Otherwise, maybe you're just your own thing, maybe spiritual but not religious (SBNR). Or if you want to call yourself agnostic while thinking that there might be a higher power, then that's your label. Usually though, agnostic indicates an uncertainty. So one could be agnostic Deist, for example. Not certain of there being a higher power, but leaning that way. If you believe that higher power to be part of the creation, whether there's interaction or not, you could be a pantheist, panentheist, pandeist, etc. Pan- just means all, meaning the higher power is part of all. If you need clarification, a Google search on these terms can help, or you can ask here, I'll try my best to answer.

You don't need to have a specific word to call yourself. It helps with explaining things to others, but you'll need to elaborate most of the time anyway. Most people have little theological knowledge, I find myself explaining a lot of things to others, even if it's not part of my beliefs.

Phantasman

You're possibly a seeker to me. Which led you to join this forum.

A healthy way to be. Open minded to that which will reveal itself. (I say that from your "at least not one I'm aware of" comment).

PureX

Veteran Member

Sure, the term you're looking for is "agnostic theist". You choose to believe in "God", but God defined as, 'the great mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is, has been, and will ever be'. Which is pretty much the same definition as everyone else has before they let their fantasies fill their heads with all manner of religious mythical artifice.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd take a step back and first ask why it's even important to classify your beliefs. It can be comical at times when you realize it's not important, but yet so important to others that they spend more time insisting you are x or y or z, and the time they spend far exceeds the time you spend doing this for yourself.

ConradDaniel

Thank you, a learned from this so thank you again.

As to why I want to classify my beliefs, it’s not so much that I want to have a label, it’s just I’ve wondered “what’s this called?” for so long I feel like it’s foolish to not eventually figure it out. Curiosity.

Deism, if you don't believe that this higher power intervenes in our lives. So no miracles, no prophets, no sacred text, no prayer wishes coming true, etc. Basically just a higher power that started it all, that some people chose to label as "god". There's some variation of it, but that's the one most often mentioned from my experience. You didn't indicate anything beyond this higher power, so if you don't have a position on it other than it created the universe, it would seem fitting to call you a Deist.

Otherwise, maybe you're just your own thing, maybe spiritual but not religious (SBNR). Or if you want to call yourself agnostic while thinking that there might be a higher power, then that's your label. Usually though, agnostic indicates an uncertainty. So one could be agnostic Deist, for example. Not certain of there being a higher power, but leaning that way. If you believe that higher power to be part of the creation, whether there's interaction or not, you could be a pantheist, panentheist, pandeist, etc. Pan- just means all, meaning the higher power is part of all. If you need clarification, a Google search on these terms can help, or you can ask here, I'll try my best to answer.

You don't need to have a specific word to call yourself. It helps with explaining things to others, but you'll need to elaborate most of the time anyway. Most people have little theological knowledge, I find myself explaining a lot of things to others, even if it's not part of my beliefs.

ConradDaniel

Do you believe in God as the universe itself? or God as something separate that is in all of the universe? (that may or may not interact with sentient beings, not in a theistic sense though)

I would lean towards saying that God is the universe itself, which would point me greatly towards Deism.

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers

I associate uncertainty about anything like a higher power with the term "agnostic". So you sound over that hurdle. I started mine when I started to read Comparative Religion scholar Huston Smith´s book and liked his description of the Tao in Taoism. I also came across Unitarian Universalism, which supports every individual member´s spiritual journey. They also lay out principles and sources that provide a clear assessment of a sound starting point, intellectually, first of all. Participating in the Recovery Movement, I entered in a powerful and intelligent spiritual therapeutic process, and the term Higher Power also made a lot of sense to me. In fact, I don´t actually "believe" so much as recognize and have an awareness of my relationship to that Higher Power, which I now can comfortably call "God." Carl Jung, the spiritual Therapeutic Psychologist, referred to his perception of God as "knowing".

I hear about Theistic humanism, but I consider myself a humanistic theist. It´s a fine point at that level. Let me know what you think.

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers
I would lean towards saying that God is the universe itself, which would point me greatly towards Deism.
That belief is called "pantheism." "Deism" is God as Newton´s "Blind clockmaker", outside the Universe and watching. "Panentheism" is more of a combination of the two, which pretty much works for me, an interfaith humanist theist.

QuestioningMind

@QuestioningMind

My point: when looking for accuracy, we address what the feelings are based on: our conclusions. If our conclusions are correct, some people say their feelings are correct. If their conclusions are incorrect, some say it was their feelings.

Its a language preference.

Feelings cannot be true or false only our conclusions based on our feelings.

Night.

So the evidence in court can't be true or false, ONLY the conclusions reached by that evidence. How silly. And I notice that originally you claimed all feelings are TRUE... but NOW it's that feeling can't be true or false. At least you've finally agreed that all feelings aren't true. It's a step in the right direction.