• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can you tell the difference between a Prophet and false Prophet

Just_me_Mike

doppelgänger;2405564 said:
There is a sense (thought perhaps on a slight one) in which both Newton and Einstein considered themselves prophets conveying revelations from "God."
Yeah I can see that.
My only quibble would be, that once the bible was a done book (arguably I know), but once it was done, any prophecy must not be in contradiction to anything the bible teaches. Usually there is plenty of conflict with what people claim, and what the bible says.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Dopp it is a simple formula for me. There are those that will become saved. However, to become saved, you have to hear the word of God and it has to be applied to your heart from God. Thus the mandate to warn people. Out of all the effort warning people, maybe only one will become saved, but that is not my concern, because God does the saving.
The bible asks us to take up our cross and walk with Jesus, knowing we will be ridiculed, suffer and mocked for doing so, but those that do will be comforted.

Who are you saving then, if they are destined to be saved? It sounds like the only "saving" going on is for you (or more likely, "God").

Cessation of life? So what's the big deal? Those that don't go to heaven simply cease to exist. To be honest it isn't a big deal. I only preach so that those that are destined to become saved will become saved.
Do you think it's healthy to have a need to imagine your immortality? What do such thoughts do for your ability to find peace, joy, moderation, compassion and bliss today?

doppelganger

Yeah I can see that.
My only quibble would be, that once the bible was a done book (arguably I know), but once it was done, any prophecy must not be in contradiction to anything the bible teaches. Usually there is plenty of conflict with what people claim, and what the bible says.
Why not some other book? Why should any claim be beyond questioning or investigation? Doesn't that set off alarms to recognize that you cannot approach such a large part of your self-identity?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Honestly Mike,
the thought that the "world might end" on May 21st,
or May 22nd, or June 17th,
doesn't phase me in the least.

It just doesn't.
What happens happens.

**** happens.
:shrug:

The world ends?
It ends.

I have learned to live one day at a time.
Don't worry too much about tomorrow.
A Life Well Lived
is always lived in the Present moment.

Now. Today.
Tomorrow brings what it brings.
Word.

Just_me_Mike

doppelgänger;2405570 said:
Who are you saving then, if they are destined to be saved? It sounds like the only "saving" going on is for you (or more likely, "God").
Well in a sense, it is for God. His plan can't be frustrated in the sense, that all predestined will become saved.
You have to understand, when you become a child of God, the evidence of that is you want to be as obedient to the word of God as possible. Part of that obedience is warning people. I don't warn, cause I think I have some power. I do it because I know it is how the last remaining people that need to hear the message will hear it.

Do you think it's healthy to have a need to imagine your immortality? What do such thoughts do for your ability to find peace, joy, moderation, compassion and bliss today?
Well again, if you are a child of God, one of the things that happens, is you are given a new spirit literally, you are reborn. Once that happens, every time you are aware of a sin in your life you want nothing to do with it anymore.
The joy and peace and compassion comes from walking with Jesus, being ridiculed and so forth as we are told would happen. Because just as Jesus did his service, and died, he rose and went on.
So sure, there are things I love here, my sons, my wife, the beach etc... Though once you are saved you realize those things are simply aspects of God's love, and if we really enjoy those things, then we will really enjoy being with God for eternity.

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

doppelgänger;2405572 said:
Why not some other book? Why should any claim be beyond questioning or investigation? Doesn't that set off alarms to recognize that you cannot approach such a large part of your self-identity?
Whoa big fella, I have investigated myself and books til my eyes dripped blood. What gave you the idea I haven't?

doppelganger

Well again, if you are a child of God, one of the things that happens, is you are given a new spirit literally, you are reborn.
I don't think you actually mean "literally" reborn. So what is this rebirth? Might it be understood in more than one way, by different people? Might YOU understand it differently a year from now than you do today and wonder "what was I thinking, this new understanding makes so much more sense to me?" Or is the inquiry a closed matter for you?

chinu

chinu
So how can you tell the difference between a Prophet and a false Prophet,the problem as i see it is proof which neither a Prophet or false Prophet can provide.

False prophet always say him/her-self as prophet and always try to proove so.
Prophet never say him/her-self as prophet or never try to proove so.

_/\_
Chinu

Just_me_Mike

doppelgänger;2405582 said:
You don't think you have some unhealthy obsessions?

doppelgänger;2405586 said:
I don't think you actually mean "literally" reborn. So what is this rebirth? Might it be understood in more than one way, by different people? Might YOU understand it differently a year from now than you do today and wonder "what was I thinking, this new understanding makes so much more sense to me?" Or is the inquiry a closed matter for you?
Oh I am sure I am certifiable.
If I truly believe there is less than 60 days left, what concern would I have for next year?

Anyway, this is off topic for the thread.

EDIT:Oh and I do mean quite literal. You observe it as an obsession that drives this inner feeling. I totally understand where you are coming from.

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Warn the world of WHAT?
Of the conclusion of the bible, that on May 21st Judgment day will begin, and there is still time today to ask God for mercy.
Otherwise those that remain after May 21st will either die that day, or at some point over the next 5 months following May 21st. Some will actually last until October 21st, but at that day the Earth will be no more.
As to those that are here from May 21st to October 21st, when they do ultimately die, they will simply cease to exist.
Many are just fine with that, yet many will be very bitter about it, because they will perhaps feel in their heart they were "good enough" and won't understand God's judgment.
It is my duty to explain this to people, and occasionally it will speak to someone's heart if in fact it is God's will to apply it to that person's heart.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Only just noticed your responses locked up in Wombat quote-

“Actually it is not recognised either as a branch or anything else of Islam by Muslims”

Frankly...So what?...There are lots of Christian sects/splinters that are not “recognised” by other or major Christian denominations...and? You don’t need someone else’s recognition/authority to identify as Christian/Moslem... the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.... is A sect, branch or offshoot of Islam by self identification.

Muhammed was meant to be the final messenger,"the seal of the Prophets" therefore just as Ahmadiyya Baihai is an unrecognised religion,sure you can call yourself a Muslim because you submit to one God but followers of Islam would not regard you as such,perhaps a follower of Islam will clarify that, i don't think though i need to tell you about the persecution of the Baihai

“So does that mean Ahmad is a true messenger/Prophet,”

What?...No...it just means that if the movement has followers it is ‘alive’...not dead/no followers.

Context-
No, in determining "the source of the message" "numbers of followers means" a great deal....If there are some/any followers the thing is alive...if there are "zilch" followers the thing is dead and has been cast on the fire.

This is where it all goes Pete Tong,numbers of followers does not make the message true,if it does then the Mormon and just about any religion with a significant following would also be from a bonifide divine source,IMO its the source of the message thats important not the messenger because they are Human and Humans aren't liberal with the truth.

“Not in realty it doesn't,Ahmadiyya and Ba'hai's are dismissed by Islam so the amount of followers means zilch,Joseph Smith and the Mormon religion are dismissed by Christians and Muslims.”

1/ No Christian or Moslem Organization has the power or authority (legal or scriptural)to decide if a self identifying group is ‘Christian’ or ‘Moslem’. This notion of being “dismissed” by other branches is a complete Red Herring irrelevance

How irrelevant is it to the Baihai in Iran

2/ I am not saying “the amount of followers”-or comparative size of movementsis a matter of significance...I’m saying, for the third time- If there are some/any followers the thing is alive...if there are "zilch" followers the thing is dead.

That is the only point of significance I have raised re numbers.

Good,like i said numbers do not prove a devine message to be a divine message

BruceDLimber

[T]heres an excess of bad fruit in the world.

Ah, but while quoting the negative verse to you, what he omitted to quote is the POSITIVE verse:

First John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

And the Divine Messenger I endeavor to follow does indeed do this!

Peace, :)

Bruce

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Of the conclusion of the bible, that on May 21st Judgment day will begin, and there is still time today to ask God for mercy.
Otherwise those that remain after May 21st will either die that day, or at some point over the next 5 months following May 21st. Some will actually last until October 21st, but at that day the Earth will be no more.
As to those that are here from May 21st to October 21st, when they do ultimately die, they will simply cease to exist.
Many are just fine with that, yet many will be very bitter about it, because they will perhaps feel in their heart they were "good enough" and won't understand God's judgment.
It is my duty to explain this to people, and occasionally it will speak to someone's heart if in fact it is God's will to apply it to that person's heart.

Mike,how can you feel bitter if you don't exist

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Ah, but while quoting the negative verse to you, what he omitted to quote is the POSITIVE verse:

First John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

And the Divine Messenger I endeavor to follow does indeed do this!

Peace, :)

Problem there Bruce is we don't have any evidence other than the NT that Jesus existed

ellenjanuary

Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, Leibniz, Rutherford, Einstein, Bohr, Feynman, Sagan. Millions, if not billions of people still follow their ideas, despite the vast amount of time since their lives.

Isn't it rather odd that they're not considered prophets, considering that they possibly had more influence all the "real" ones put together?

All prophets, far as I'm concerned. Forgot my man Cantor. ;)