• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we teach open mindness?

InvestigateTruth

Is there a way to open a closed mind? Is this just the nature of humans.

I think the root cause of having a closed mind, is selfishness. It's all about proving we are right. What we know is true. We are better than others, it's all about the 'ME'.
If instead of seeking our own, we seek the reality and go after reality, then the mind would be open.

Another cause of having a closed mind is imitation from what parents believe, and not be willing to look anywhere outside.
Fanaticism is also another reason.

Good subject!

Midnight Pete

Parents and teachers should teach critical thinking from an early age. Explain various methods of analyzing things, make students aware of the various logical fallacies, have students debate each other, the teachers, their parents, etc.

Critical Thinking =/= Open-Mindedness

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend bobhikes,

How can we teach open mindness?

By understanding the mind!
Mind itself is limited by the inputs it has or gets and unless those limits are removed it will not be called an open-mind.
We must also understand that a truly open-mind is a no-mind.
Teachings are always about ways to reach to that state of mind which is totally open and that is what all religion as ways and paths have been and still are trying to teach.
One can follow his own path too.

Love & rgds

Midnight Pete

Of course not, but the former leads to the latter.

"Critical thinking" can still be achieved by a profoundly closeminded person. Which is to say, a bigot or fanatic or zealot is capable of performing what they consider to be critical thought. But even an open-minded person (such as myself) can still be closeminded to certain ideas. I can think of myself as open-minded if I can point out the closemindedness of another person. And to compound the problem, different people have different ideas of what "open-minded" really means.

no-body

By teaching people how to think instead of what to think. If you can objectively process information and realize your biases are biases understanding can flourish.

Slightly off topic but I love it when close minded people say "dosen't that mean you have to be open minded towards close minded people or you're being close minded yourself?" like it's the height of genius instead of the incredibly retarded comment it is.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Critical Thinking =/= Open-Mindedness
Critical thinking helps lead to open mindedness. It's a better way of teaching it then suggesting it can't be taught.

If children are taught to think for themselves, made aware of logical fallacies, taught various logical arguments, and allowed to practice debate in class, then they'll almost certainly turn out better when it comes to being open minded than if they are just force-fed information or even worse, fed propaganda. It gives them tools to work through various viewpoints and problems.

"Critical thinking" can still be achieved by a profoundly closeminded person. Which is to say, a bigot or fanatic or zealot is capable of performing what they consider to be critical thought. But even an open-minded person (such as myself) can still be closeminded to certain ideas. I can think of myself as open-minded if I can point out the closemindedness of another person. And to compound the problem, different people have different ideas of what "open-minded" really means.
Just because bigots, fanatics, and zealots are capable of performing what they consider to be critical thought doesn't mean that it's actually critical thought.

.lava

Veteran Member
Getting frustrated again but then it hit me.

Look at all the tyrants and evil humans have done from a view that excludes religion, country, money etc what do they have in common. One thing stands out. They were all closed minded. There view was the only view. Followers will always follow leaders. Is there a way to teach open mindness in schools to insure it in adults? Is there a way to open a closed mind? Is this just the nature of humans and we are stuck with it?

Any suggestions, also do you see anything else in common with the tyrants you know.

i am unsure if it is possible. even if it is, i think those who change are rare. anyways, IMO you could not teach anything to anyone that you don't practice. people either copy acts or words and words are easy

Midnight Pete

By teaching people how to think instead of what to think. If you can objectively process information and realize your biases are biases understanding can flourish.

Slightly off topic but I love it when close minded people say "dosen't that mean you have to be open minded towards close minded people or you're being close minded yourself?" like it's the height of genius instead of the incredibly retarded comment it is.

If the law cannot make a man good, why should it be possible to teach open-mindedness?

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Getting frustrated again but then it hit me.

Look at all the tyrants and evil humans have done from a view that excludes religion, country, money etc what do they have in common. One thing stands out. They were all closed minded. There view was the only view. Followers will always follow leaders. Is there a way to teach open mindness in schools to insure it in adults? Is there a way to open a closed mind? Is this just the nature of humans and we are stuck with it?

Any suggestions, also do you see anything else in common with the tyrants you know.

I agree open mindedness is vitally important, teach one how to think rather than what to think. At the same time one must have confidence of mind to withstand the real world, and not get coerced into bad or false ways of thinking. Like William Blakes poetry, the balance of innocence vs experience, we need placticity of mind, willingness to change and learn. but enough experience and conviction not to get walked all over.

I think in teaching children one must support them to discover answers themselvs, opening the doors of the world to them, but letting them walk through on their own. Encouraging their passions, interests and ambitions, and continue them onwards by delivering the teaching in apropriate ways for the individuals.

as we grow our brains become much more hard wired in certain ways compared to how we were as children, invariably leading to a certain stubborness and a less of an ability to easily adapt and learn new things. By helping to properly educate children during these crucial year of life, we can put them in the best position for adulthood.

Midnight Pete

I said we teach people how to think, not teach open mindedness specifically which would be impossible as it's such a vague concept.

Close-minded is usually a function of the aging process. Old people are set in their ways because their formative years are far behind them, whereas young people currently in their formative years have minds that are much more malleable and "open."

no-body

Close-minded is usually a function of the aging process. Old people are set in their ways because their formative years are far behind them, whereas young people currently in their formative years have minds that are much more malleable and "open."

This seems like a self defeating philosophy.

Since we already make school mandatory, even if it where true that old people are all "stuck" we could be more productive and teach people how to think instead of useless facts so future generations will keep improving.

blackout

Violet.
Open-minded'ness
is not in the (best) interest
of the schools (themselves).
(as government entities)

The schools themselves
are certainly rigid and enforced.
There are no openminded options
to their structures and approaches.

The schools want "good" obedient workers.
This is what they teach for.
I spend much of my energies as a parent
undoing what they are busy "doing" all day.
(to my children's life outlook)

If I had the money,
I would hire tutors,
get standard academia done in half the time,
and allow them to grow up
in a Creative enviornment
with hours of available time
to develop and explore THEIR OWN interests and talents.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Open-minded'ness
is not in the (best) interest
of the schools (themselves).
(as government entities)

The schools themselves
are certainly rigid and enforced.
There are no openminded options
to their structures and approaches.

The schools want "good" obedient workers.
This is what they teach for.
I spend much of my energies as a parent
undoing what they are busy "doing" all day.
(to my children's life outlook)

If I had the money,
I would hire tutors,
get standard academia done in half the time,
and allow them to grow up
in a Creative enviornment
with hours of available time
to develop and explore THEIR OWN interests and talents.

This is a very good argument. Governments are not sponsoring openminded idea's because they want control. It would be a very much different world if even most of the people were open minded.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Well, what if we teach children about all the different religions of the world in grammar school? We could teach: Greek and Egyptian religions, Monotheistic religion etc.