• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can we know "God" exists?

Tiberius

And are you going to respond to any of my points?

ANd since your sense of reality is based on abstractions, as you freely admit, it would seem that your grasp of reality is not a very solid one.

How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?

Is there any evidence for God? Scientific, anecdotal, philosophical or otherwise?

Consciousness

adi2d

The man with the funny hat in an insane asylum KNOWS that he is Napoleon. He needs no evidence

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
The man with the funny hat in an insane asylum KNOWS that he is Napoleon. He needs no evidence
I can also say 'I am God' and they will put me in an 'insane asylum' until I point to all my scriptures which all tell me 'I am God' and go...see? I am not crazy!

I am not really at the point of 'knowing' I am God - I have been tip-toe-ing around that, because I still like to believe and worship....I still like to love.

Napoleon was a figure in history, who lived, did stuff and died...so, for a person to claim he is Napoleon is crazy...but if he was a 'new ager' and said 'hey, in my past life, I know I was Napoleon'...people will look at him a bit strangely, but because he said 'past life', they won't lock him up.

God is still 'alive' in the hearts of followers. God is an eternal concept...He is not born...he is not dead...so it's okay to say 'yeah, I am God'.

To say 'I am Jesus'....that's a different matter (refer Napoleon).

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I can also say 'I am God' and they will put me in an 'insane asylum' until I point to all my scriptures which all tell me 'I am God' and go...see? I am not crazy!

I am not really at the point of 'knowing' I am God - I have been tip-toe-ing around that, because I still like to believe and worship....I still like to love.
You can. The concept of God is multifaceted, and I'm realizing that it's not simply a matter of putting the definition of God in one box and be done with it, but rather the image is very multidimensional. God is both there, here, and this and that. You are God. Nature is God. Your best friend is God. Everything is God. God is separated and united. All one and all individual.

Napoleon was a figure in history, who lived, did stuff and died...so, for a person to claim he is Napoleon is crazy...but if he was a 'new ager' and said 'hey, in my past life, I know I was Napoleon'...people will look at him a bit strangely, but because he said 'past life', they won't lock him up.
It all based on our preconceived notions about how this particular reality must behave. We know from experience that the person who died can't be the same person who much later live. Unless spirits/souls could be reborn or transferred... ;)

God is still 'alive' in the hearts of followers. God is an eternal concept...He is not born...he is not dead...so it's okay to say 'yeah, I am God'.

To say 'I am Jesus'....that's a different matter (refer Napoleon).

Maybe not.

My thought of Jesus is that it's not about a physical person in history that did some parlor tricks and then claimed he was messiah and died and was resurrected, etc. But rather, the story of Jesus is the template of the story of your own journey. You become Jesus by traveling with the Jesus in the story. You are the one who has to die (metaphorically) and be resurrected into a new understanding, and by doing so, you forgive people and can find harmony. You are born again by becoming Jesus inside. You then are Jesus.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
You can. The concept of God is multifaceted, and I'm realizing that it's not simply a matter of putting the definition of God in one box and be done with it, but rather the image is very multidimensional. God is both there, here, and this and that. You are God. Nature is God. Your best friend is God. Everything is God. God is separated and united. All one and all individual.

It all based on our preconceived notions about how this particular reality must behave. We know from experience that the person who died can't be the same person who much later live. Unless spirits/souls could be reborn or transferred... ;)

Maybe not.

My thought of Jesus is that it's not about a physical person in history that did some parlor tricks and then claimed he was messiah and died and was resurrected, etc. But rather, the story of Jesus is the template of the story of your own journey. You become Jesus by traveling with the Jesus in the story. You are the one who has to die (metaphorically) and be resurrected into a new understanding, and by doing so, you forgive people and can find harmony. You are born again by becoming Jesus inside. You then are Jesus.
I understand you, but I guess I am a 'reductionist', because I find it hard to accept that everything is God and yet nothing is simultaneously.

Here is my conundrum, so maybe you can help.

According to Yoga (Patanjali) there are two forms of consciousness or awareness...

Saguna Brahman - This happens when the 'Third Eye' is open and Kundalini Shakti (Divine Force) resides in that Chakra, leading the Yogi to an awareness of God in the state of a 'God with attributes' - like Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and the realisation of the dual nature of the existence of Self in relation to the Divine.

Nirguna Brahman - This happens when the Shakti leaves that centre and merges with Shiva in the Sahasrara Chakra leading to the direct realisation of a 'formless God' - Maha Rudra, Lord Narayana etc.

Now, everybody is telling me that both aspects are the same...exactly the same according to scripture.

My problem is, if they are the same, then why are they different?

I don't know if 'everything is God' or 'nothing is God' and I can't decide...so I went with the latter: 'not this...not that...'

So, that is why it's difficult for me to see God everywhere, because I see illusion everywhere.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I understand you, but I guess I am a 'reductionist', because I find it hard to accept that everything is God and yet nothing is simultaneously.

Here is my conundrum, so maybe you can help.

According to Yoga (Patanjali) there are two forms of consciousness or awareness...

Saguna Brahman - This happens when the 'Third Eye' is open and Kundalini Shakti (Divine Force) resides in that Chakra, leading the Yogi to an awareness of God in the state of a 'God with attributes' - like Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu and the realisation of the dual nature of the existence of Self in relation to the Divine.

Nirguna Brahman - This happens when the Shakti leaves that centre and merges with Shiva in the Sahasrara Chakra leading to the direct realisation of a 'formless God' - Maha Rudra, Lord Narayana etc.

Now, everybody is telling me that both aspects are the same...exactly the same according to scripture.

My problem is, if they are the same, then why are they different?
I might be wrong here, but I'd say they're different in experience but not in essence. It's like having a coin and realize it has two sides but it's the same coin. You experience of looking at one or the other side or looking at it as a whole are just different because of you, not because of the coin.

I don't know if 'everything is God' or 'nothing is God' and I can't decide...so I went with the latter: 'not this...not that...'
Something I do understand though from thinking about all these concepts is that we all are at different stages. And when we've reached one realization, we go to the next, and at some point we revisit our old and first ones in a new light.

So, that is why it's difficult for me to see God everywhere, because I see illusion everywhere.
Right. But the illusion has a source, it's you and God. Nothing is realized without you being there. You're the pinnacle of time and space, the here and now, infinite and eternity meets at one point, that's you and your experience. You're the one creating the illusion. :) But don't take my words for it, I'm merely a rookie in these thoughts.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. and no wonder Atheists don't believe there's such a thing .. but then, there's that word again...'believe'.
Atheists know that there is nothing such as God. Or agree that there is a Cthulhu, Pink Unicorn, Flying Spaghetti Monster, and a tea-pot revolving around the world.

idea

Question Everything
How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?

Is there any evidence for God? Scientific, anecdotal, philosophical or otherwise?

I think that the possibility of God is great, considering how organized and precise the universe is; but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I believe in God.

As a literally real, corporeal personage in whose image we are created. As our Father, who speaks to us through our conscience, and comforts us through the Spirit. As the greatest of the eternal intelligences, a being filled with love and light - the only one who truly knows us and can see us for who we all really are, and who we all can become.

idea

Question Everything
God hides himself

He speaks quietly.

1 Kings 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Benoni

He speaks quietly.
1 Kings 19:11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
Amen

Pro. 25: 2

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter

God hides His deepness in spiritual symbolism, parables, types, examples as well as mysteries; the word mystery was used 20 times in the NT and means sacred secret.

1 Corin 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world (age) are come. example

Example: NT:5178 a : Strong’s: tupikos (toop-ee-kos'); an adverb related to NT:5179; found only in 1 Cor 10:11: as a warning, by way of example, typologically (i.e. figuratively, as a prophetic type, a typological interpretation of Scripture)

Matthew 13
13:13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

13:14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: 'Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, And seeing you will see and not perceive;

13:15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them.'

13:16 "But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear;

idea

Question Everything

...the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their eyes they have closed, ..​

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me...To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me... He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith

Benoni

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me...To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me... He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith
Amen but they cannot hear unless He calls them