• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Can Theology Really Study the "Nature of God?" An AI answer.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I recently asked ChatGPT this question: "How can theology study the nature of God? Is it not constrained to only studying what humans think about God?" Here is it's response:

Theology, as an academic discipline, indeed explores the nature of God, but it does so through various methods and approaches. While it is true that theology is primarily concerned with human interpretations and understandings of God, it goes beyond merely studying what humans think about God. Let me explain further:

1. Scripture and Revelation: Many theological traditions consider religious scriptures or sacred texts as sources of divine revelation. Theology often engages in the critical analysis and interpretation of these texts to understand what they reveal about the nature of God. It examines the narratives, teachings, and principles contained within these texts to derive theological insights.
  2. Reason and Philosophy: Theology employs rational and philosophical methods to explore the nature of God. It draws on logical reasoning, metaphysics, and philosophical arguments to analyze and articulate concepts related to God's existence, attributes, and nature. Philosophical traditions, such as classical theism or process theology, offer frameworks for theological reflection.
  3. Tradition and Historical Analysis: Theology also examines the historical development of religious traditions and the various ways in which people have understood and experienced God throughout history. It considers the beliefs, practices, and theological formulations of different religious communities, and analyzes how these have shaped theological thought.
  4. Mystical and Religious Experience: Theology recognizes that human experiences of the divine, often described as mystical or religious experiences, can provide insights into the nature of God. These experiences, reported by individuals or within religious communities, are examined and evaluated within theological frameworks.
  5. Comparative Theology: This approach involves comparing and contrasting different religious traditions to gain a broader understanding of the nature of God. By studying diverse perspectives, theologians can explore commonalities, differences, and unique insights about God from different cultural, philosophical, and religious contexts.
While theology is inherently influenced by human perspectives and interpretations, it strives to move beyond individual biases and cultural limitations. Scholars engage in critical reflection, dialogue, and debate to refine theological concepts and arrive at nuanced understandings of the nature of God. Theology seeks to integrate intellectual rigor, faith, and spiritual insights to grapple with profound questions about the divine.

At the end of the day, I don't think it answered my question -- even seeming (and this would be surprising!) to ignore the last part. For example, the last 5 words "profound questions about the divine" seems to assume that "the divine" actually exists, in a way that isn't in question. So, I asked a followup question: "But doesn't theology assume first that both God and the divine are realities?" Here is the response:

In many theological traditions, the study of theology does indeed start from the assumption that God and the divine are realities. Theology often operates within a specific religious framework or worldview that accepts the existence of a transcendent or immanent divine being. However, it's important to note that not all theological approaches or perspectives share this assumption.

There are theological traditions, such as atheistic or secular theology, that approach the study of religion and religious concepts from a non-believing or non-theistic perspective. These approaches may focus on the analysis of religious phenomena, symbols, rituals, and their social or psychological implications without presupposing the existence of a divine reality.

Moreover, theological inquiry is not limited to proving or disproving the existence of God. While theological study may assume the existence of God as a starting point, it also encompasses the exploration of God's nature, attributes, roles, and relationships with the world and humanity. Theological discourse often involves critical examination, interpretation, and analysis of religious texts, traditions, experiences, and philosophical arguments to deepen understanding and develop theological frameworks.

Ultimately, theology is a broad and diverse field that accommodates a range of perspectives, assumptions, and methodologies. Whether one starts from the premise of God's existence or not, theology strives to explore and elucidate the nature of the divine and its significance in human experience and understanding.
I'd be interested in members' thoughts.

(My own thought, for better or worse, is that theology is actually the study of what humans think about divinity, and not very much more. The study of what might have been wrought by divinity, in my view, winds up in the sciences -- the study of what is, not necessarily why it is.)

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I recently asked ChatGPT this question: "How can theology study the nature of God? Is it not constrained to only studying what humans think about God?" Here is it's response:
ChatGPT is limited to predicting what an internet poster would say about it, however I have hopes that in future there will be AI capable of high level analysis of scripture and of human questions about it. I think, however, that such AI is currently impossible without androids that can relate with the human condition.

DNB

Christian

At the end of the day, I don't think it answered my question -- even seeming (and this would be surprising!) to ignore the last part. For example, the last 5 words "profound questions about the divine" seems to assume that "the divine" actually exists, in a way that isn't in question. So, I asked a followup question: "But doesn't theology assume first that both God and the divine are realities?" Here is the response:

(My own thought, for better or worse, is that theology is actually the study of what humans think about divinity, and not very much more. The study of what might have been wrought by divinity, in my view, winds up in the sciences -- the study of what is, not necessarily why it is.)
There is enough evidence around us to draw accurate conclusions about the unseen.
Who or what created the universe? Atheism can only regress so far, but never to the origins.
Why does man appear to behave in a manner unlike all other creatures on the planet - his pride and arrogance will override his sensibilities.
Why is only man capable of loving others as himself? In the animal kingdom it's the survival of the fittest - eg: none of them eulogize their deceased.

There are phenomenon on this planet that indicate that a non secular entity exists in the transcendent realms.
Theology is not entire speculation or conjecture, but based on axiomatic evidence that science and secularism cannot explain.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
A large part of theology is the study of theological concepts that already exist, true. But why does that matter? These theological concepts have originated by observations about the world around.

wellwisher

Thinking is only part of the religious affect. It is also connected to feelings and intuitions. Faith, for example, may not even use deep thought or analysis, but senses something that may not be tangible to the senses. You cannot exactly describe God, but have to more like inner sense him.

If you look at great art, so much of it connected to the world's religions; Pyramids. This creative part of humans appears to be close to the source of religious feelings and faith. The artist may not know exactly what will form but has this sense of faith that something will appear, with religion often the inspiration for great art. Religion allow one to access parts of the brain, that may be less conscious to Atheist; beyond fives senses.

AI can only deal with the output phenomena of religion, books and statues. It cannot understand the inner sensory journey that got people to write that output. The affect of the journey is similar to going to a museum and looking at world class art. There is certain awe and mystery; spirit of the art, that also appears with faith.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is enough evidence around us to draw accurate conclusions about the unseen.
There is some evidence around us to draw a picture about the unseen, but none of it is any evidence of existence of God.
There is certain awe and mystery; spirit of the art, that also appears with faith.
And to fill the gaps in our knowledge, there is God.

DNB

Christian
There is some evidence around us to draw a picture about the unseen, but none of it is any evidence of existence of God.
And to fill the gaps in our knowledge, there is God.
Man's spirit longs for justice, love, peace and joy - these are not attributes that were derived from material composition - they must've had a spiritual source to endow them with such traits.
Obviously!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean, to get technical about it, all fields of human "knowledge" are the study of what humans think about whatever some thing is that they experience to be a thing... complete with the axiomatic assumption that the thing is a thing to begin with. How can humans really study and know anything, period?

Welcome to epistemology and ontology, yeah?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Man's spirit longs for justice, love, peace and joy - these are not attributes that were derived from material composition - they must've had a spiritual source to endow them with such traits.
Whatever we think or desire originates from the neurons of the brain, which is a material composition.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ai chatbots are quite fascinating.

I think a machine learning ai over time might get quite profound as it learns, or will become quite disturbing.

Heyo

Veteran Member

"What a depressingly stupid machine." - Marvin

• Tradition and Historical Analysis:
  • Mystical and Religious Experience:
  • Comparative Theology:
Studies about human interpretation of god, so failure to answer.
  • Scripture and Revelation:
Begs the question.
  • Reason and Philosophy: Theology employs rational and philosophical methods to explore the nature of God.
... and finds that it can't.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To add to the mix: bard.google.com's answer to the same question which I find too western centric because it only lists the Bible of all the major scriptures.

Theology is the study of the nature of God, but it is not constrained to only studying what humans think about God. Theology also draws on other sources of knowledge, such as the Bible, religious experience, and philosophical reasoning.
The Bible is a primary source of information about God. It contains stories, poems, and prophecies that offer insights into God's character, attributes, and actions. Religious experience is another important source of theological knowledge. When people have personal encounters with God, they gain a deeper understanding of God's nature and presence. Finally, philosophical reasoning can also be used to study the nature of God. By using logic and reason, theologians can explore questions about God's existence, omnipotence, omniscience, and other attributes.
Of course, no one source of knowledge can give us complete knowledge of God. God is ultimately a mystery, and our understanding of God will always be limited. However, theology can help us to gain a better understanding of God's nature and to live our lives in accordance with God's will.
Here are some of the ways that theology can study the nature of God:

• Biblical theology: This branch of theology studies the Bible to understand how it reveals God's nature.
  • Systematic theology: This branch of theology organizes and systematizes the beliefs of a particular religion.
  • Historical theology: This branch of theology studies the development of religious beliefs over time.
  • Philosophical theology: This branch of theology uses philosophy to explore questions about God's existence, nature, and attributes.
  • Natural theology: This branch of theology uses reason and observation of the natural world to argue for the existence of God.
Theology is a complex and ever-evolving field of study. There is no one right way to study the nature of God, and different theologians will use different methods and sources of knowledge. However, all theologians are united in their desire to understand God and to live their lives in accordance with God's will.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Glad to know that. What, then, is your view? ;)
That the nature of Divinity can't be expressed in words but the closest I can think of is with paradoxes: God is manifest and unmanifest, everything and nothing, everywhere and beyond everywhere. And also with the concept of Non-dual, advaita. But even better is this Hafiz poem rendered by Dan Ladinsky

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

How are you?

I have a thousand brilliant lies
For the question:

What is God?

If you think that the Truth can be known
From words,

If you think that the Sun and the Ocean

Can pass through that tiny opening Called the mouth,

O someone should start laughing!
Someone should start wildly Laughing ‘Now!

Last edited: