• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

dust1n

Zindīq
To avoid the rest of this hearsay or whatever you would like to call it, because I’m not avoiding a debate; I would like for you to explain how I have admitted that a man can be feminist other than supporting feminism that deals with women and women’s rights.

I just thought that's what you said when this occurred:

Your original question was how a male can be feminist. My answer: easily, by being a male and in favor of gender equality.

Then we have nothing to disagree with. :sad:

But I guess now that your idea is that men can be feminists for civil rights, but can't be feminists for any other issue. I don't know, I really don't care anymore.

In my OP I said feminism deals explicitly with women's rights. Do you disagree?

Obviously feminism deals explicitly with women's rights. I agree with that.

Are you trying to ask me if feminism deals 'exclusively' with women's right? If so, then my answer is no.

uberrobonomicon4000

But I guess now that your idea is that men can be feminists for civil rights, but can't be feminists for any other issue. I don't know, I really don't care anymore.

Are you trying to ask me if feminism deals 'exclusively' with women's right? If so, then my answer is no.
I know you don't care and you have opt out of this debate several times. I will however give you an accurate response soon as the birds wake me up for cutting down the tree that lived in tomorrow.

uberrobonomicon4000

No!
I don’t disagree with him being in favor of gender equality. That doesn’t mean he is a feminist.
Okay, good. We are starting to make some progress then.
If it doesn't, then (IMO) the rest of whatever feminism deals with is irrelevant to women's rights and only partakes in issues involving women.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To avoid the rest of this hearsay or whatever you would like to call it, because I’m not avoiding a debate; I would like for you to explain how I have admitted that a man can be feminist other than supporting feminism that deals with women and women’s rights.

In my OP I said feminism deals explicitly with women's rights. Do you disagree?
What issues do you consider to be women's issues?

dust1n

Zindīq
No!

I don’t disagree with him being in favor of gender equality. That doesn’t mean he is a feminist.
Misunderstood ya I guess. Oh, well, your prerogative.

If it doesn't, then (IMO) the rest of whatever feminism deals with is irrelevant to women's rights and only partakes in issues involving women.
And obviously women don't agree or else hundreds of women wouldn't write about feminism and Marxism, or feminism and libertarianism, or feminism and Western Art, or feminism and Chinese history, or feminism and how it relates to kyriarchy, or feminism and intersexualism...

So, sorry the world keeps carrying on with things you feel irrelevant.

uberrobonomicon4000

So, you scanned the page as soon as it loaded and took the only pieces which confirmed your views.

How obvious.
That is a very naïve thing to say. Did you take the time to read any of it or did you just want to post a random comment? :facepalm:

“In this wave, as in previous ones, there is no all-encompassing single feminist idea.” Well that says a lot.

uberrobonomicon4000

Misunderstood ya I guess. Oh, well, your prerogative.
NP - Its not the first time. :cool:
And obviously women don't agree or else hundreds of women wouldn't write about feminism and Marxism, or feminism and libertarianism, or feminism and Western Art, or feminism and Chinese history, or feminism and how it relates to kyriarchy, or feminism and intersexualism...

So, sorry the world keeps carrying on with things you feel irrelevant.
Well don't be. This is why I quit having debates with you. Because you post comments like this.

... and for the last time ...

wiki said:
Pro-feminism refers to support of the cause of feminism without implying that the supporter is a member of the feminist movement. The term is most often used in reference to men who are actively supportive of feminism and of efforts to bring about gender equality. A number of pro-feminist men are involved in political activism, most often in the areas of women's rights and violence against women.

As feminist theory found support among a number of men who formed consciousness-raising groups in the 1960s, these groups were differentiated by preferences for particular feminisms and political approaches. However, the inclusion of men's voices as "feminists" presented issues for some. For a number of women and men, the word "feminism" was reserved for women, whom they viewed as the subjects who experienced the inequality and oppression that feminism sought to address. In response to this objection, other terms like antisexism and pro-feminism, were coined and defended by various groups

dust1n

Zindīq
Well don't be. This is why I quit having debates with you. Because you post comments like this.

I really don't considering logical flaw after logical flaw a debate, but feel free to see things how you wish. TBH, all I've learned is I'm not ever going to be able to debate you about anything, because we obviously have very different conceptions of a legitimate argument. Take it easy.

... and for the last time ...

I'm assuming 'last time' was referring to this being your last reply to me (not last time you referenced that article to me or something, since it's kinda the first time you've linked me to the wiki page for pro-feminism).

uberrobonomicon4000

I really don't considering logical flaw after logical flaw a debate, but feel free to see things how you wish. TBH, all I've learned is I'm not ever going to be able to debate you about anything, because we obviously have very different conceptions of a legitimate argument. Take it easy.
That isn’t my problem. You don’t seem to take anything seriously anyways and I question how you could even consider yourself to be a feminist.
I'm assuming 'last time' was referring to this being your last reply to me (not last time you referenced that article to me or something, since it's kinda the first time you've linked me to the wiki page for pro-feminism).
I would ask what you thought we were debating this entire time but I really don’t care now. :sleep:

dust1n

Zindīq
That isn’t my problem. You don’t seem to take anything seriously anyways and I question how you could even consider yourself to be a feminist.

It certainly isn't my problem. I stop taking what you said seriously after it became apparent your idea of debate was ad hominems, dodging questions, failing to understanding what a double standard is, continuously posting irrelevant information in response to me, etc. So if it seems that way, it's because, TBH, any response I get from you will be basically incoherent, so I have no reason to take it seriously any longer. That's the only pattern I can see in any real to attempt to discuss the issue.

I would ask what you thought we were debating this entire time but I really don’t care now. :sleep:
In retrospect, I'm pretty sure we didn't debate anything at all.

uberrobonomicon4000

Maybe he is just supportive and not feminist. Maybe he has nothing against this to be equal to women :)
I am, and there is no doubt about it. I am supportive of feminism, but these people for some reason think they know everything, yet know nothing about anything. Its not possible to have a serious debate with people like this.

If they were not so full of themselves then maybe they would learn something, but as long as they continue to think they know everything they will never learn anything at all.

Either way its not my lost. :D

All I can say is that I tried make them think but it didn't work, because they evidently don't.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Can someone be against racism while not being a Black Panther/black nationalist?

There's more than two genders, last I checked, although two are predominant.

Horrorble

I really don't understand what this has turned into... Can someone with male genitalia be a feminist? Yes, move on people.
Even if feminism is all about women and women's issues, can't a man be all about women? I think they can.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I really don't understand what this has turned into... Can someone with male genitalia be a feminist? Yes, move on people.
Even if feminism is all about women and women's issues, can't a man be all about women? I think they can.

It's a thinly veiled attempt to bash feminism and paint it as an exclusive fringe-club that doesn't believe in egalitarianism, and that males ought to stay away if they know what's best for them. No big deal. Feminism has seen this type of rhetoric for the last.....oh, I don't know....100 years.

Lather, rinse, repeat.