• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it time to nominate the stupidest thread ideas of the past year? Because I want to nominate this one for dumbest OP of 2013.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it time to nominate the stupidest thread ideas of the past year? Because I want to nominate this one for dumbest OP of 2013.

If there's an award involved, I could definitely come up with a stupider OP. Like....or...errr....ummm....

Forget it. Give him the award.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
For one, I acknowledge women as having equal rights, prochoice, and whatever else it is that women feel they are being neglected of, but how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?

I don’t see how a man, male, guy, etc. can be considered a feminist when it deals specifically with women and the choices they make; as in a guy claiming to be a feminist. What would a feminist male (as hyperbolic as that may seem) have to do with women rights?

Bah. It was suggested to me that I should offer a serious response to the OP. I struggle to understand why, given that the OP is clearly taking the **** (as we'd say here) but due to my immense respect for the un-named shamer (or, at least, fear of reprisals), I'm going to offer a serious response. Lessee...

Animal rights activists would seem to suggest to me that one can look outside their own small box and both empathise and actively identify with the struggle for rights of a group they don't actually directly belong to.

Or I could take the other angle, of course. I'm a husband, and I have 2 daughters who I'd quite literally step in front of a bus to save. Why should I feel any 'shame' investing in protection and furthering of women's rights?

That's about all I have, in terms of a serious response. It's like taking a handful of dirt and trying to make soup. I at least need the bones of an argument, something the OP was sorely lacking.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bah. It was suggested to me that I should offer a serious response to the OP. I struggle to understand why, given that the OP is clearly taking the **** (as we'd say here) but due to my immense respect for the un-named shamer (or, at least, fear of reprisals), I'm going to offer a serious response. Lessee...

Animal rights activists would seem to suggest to me that one can look outside their own small box and both empathise and actively identify with the struggle for rights of a group they don't actually directly belong to.

Or I could take the other angle, of course. I'm a husband, and I have 2 daughters who I'd quite literally step in front of a bus to save. Why should I feel any 'shame' investing in protection and furthering of women's rights?

That's about all I have, in terms of a serious response. It's like taking a handful of dirt and trying to make soup. I at least need the bones of an argument, something the OP was sorely lacking.

That's pretty good! I'm out of frubals, though. :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, I believe feminism (being females) deals specifically with women rights. It doesn't have anything to do with males or what they believe.

Males exist in the same world as females. They interact with them. Hopefully they also value them and care about their rights and well-being.

Stranger things have been known to happen. ;)

Alceste

Vagabond
This is like the part at the end of the horror movie when everyone thinks the monster is dead and things are getting back to normal, then POW, it's not.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

From discussion in this thread with the original poster, I got the feeling that he conflated feminism with feminity, hence believed only femmes should be feminist. Surprisingly, he pulled a few links that indicate he's not the only one with this twist on it.

But I agree with Alceste that some dead horses should remain in the ground...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From discussion in this thread with the original poster, I got the feeling that he conflated feminism with feminity, hence believed only femmes should be feminist. Surprisingly, he pulled a few links that indicate he's not the only one with this twist on it.
Many years ago, "feminism" did mean to make a person more feminine.
(I had to argue a friend out of using this archaic definition from a big
ancient dictionary. He believes that words should never change meaning.
He ends up being very confusing.)
But still...we all know that real men aren't feminists. (Mystic told me so.)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Many years ago, "feminism" did mean to make a person more feminine.
(I had to argue a friend out of using this archaic definition from a big
ancient dictionary. He believes that words should never change meaning.
He ends up being very confusing.)
But still...we all know that real men aren't feminists. (Mystic told me so.)

Was the dictionary so old that it's as old as you?

Now that's ancient.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hang on, hang on. Make up your mind.
Is it older than you, or is it from the 30s?
The dictionary was the subject of her question, so you should infer that it is from the 30s.
(And by "it", I'm referring to the dictionary in the subject of my sentence.)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The dictionary was the subject of her question, so you should infer that it is from the 30s.
(And by "it", I'm referring to the dictionary in the subject of my sentence.)

*chuckles*

Was just jerking your chain, Rev. I know you're not from the 30's. You type too fast.