• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

uberrobonomicon4000

For one, I acknowledge women as having equal rights, prochoice, and whatever else it is that women feel they are being neglected of, but how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?

I don’t see how a man, male, guy, etc. can be considered a feminist when it deals specifically with women and the choices they make; as in a guy claiming to be a feminist. What would a feminist male (as hyperbolic as that may seem) have to do with women rights?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I didn't say that. If you would have actually read what I posted instead of scanning over it you might have realized what I was trying say. And since you didn't ask, I guess you just made illogical assumptions.

You said "how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?"

Obviously, if a male cares about women and their rights, they can be labeled feminists. Nowhere in the definition of feminism is there a "must be female" requirement.

uberrobonomicon4000

You said "how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?"

Obviously, if a male cares about women and their rights, they can be labeled feminists. Nowhere in the definition of feminism is there a "must be female" requirement.
No, I believe feminism (being females) deals specifically with women rights. It doesn't have anything to do with males or what they believe.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
No, I believe feminism (being females) deals specifically with women rights. It doesn't have anything to do with males or what they believe.

You seem to believe feminism if involving men involves men dictating what rights women have instead of supporting the rights women desire.

You are mistaken.

uberrobonomicon4000

You seem to believe feminism if involving men involves men dictating what rights women have instead of supporting the rights women desire.

You are mistaken.
No that is totally besides the point!

Since when did women (much less men) have any authority to dictate women’s rights?

outis

This is strictly speaking a semantics issue.
You are however not approaching it as a semantics issue. I think you should calm down and reconsider.
Words can have several meanings at the same time.

Some males decide to call themselves feminists and some males do not. I do not.
There are a variety of valid reasons to choose either option.

No that is totally besides the point!
It's kind of part of the reason I don't call myself a feminist actually.

I do support men who call themselves feminists though (but not all of them of course). Let's not be close-minded about this, OK?

I don't think it's right to associate "feminist" with "female" without qualifications by the way. The words are obviously related but according to some definitions there's a difference between being male or female and one's gender.

Last edited:

uberrobonomicon4000

Since they existed?

Where do rights come from?
I agree. However, no one has ever mentioned in any piece of legislation or referendum for females (women as) having equal rights, besides being able to vote.

If a female can vote then she automatically gets all other rights granted to her in the United States of America, but not in other countries that blows girls brains out for speaking out against unequal rights to education, freedom of choice, and do what they wish with their life (lives) and not be subject to manipulation, rape, and being treating like trash.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I agree. However, no one has ever mentioned in any piece of legislation or referendum for females (women as) having equal rights, besides being able to vote.

If a female can vote then she automatically gets all other rights granted to her in the United States of America, but not in other countries that blows girls brains out for speaking out against unequal rights to education, freedom of choice, and do what they wish with their life (lives) and not be subject to manipulation, rape, and being treating like trash.

...I don't understand your point. Do you believe women are treated equal simply because they can vote?

uberrobonomicon4000

This is strictly speaking a semantics issue.
You are however not approaching it as a semantics issue. I think you should calm down and reconsider.
Words can have several meanings at the same time.

Some males decide to call themselves feminists and some males do not. I do not.
There are a variety of valid reasons to choose either option.

It's kind of part of the reason I don't call myself a feminist actually.

I do support men who call themselves feminists though (but not all of them of course). Let's not be close-minded about this, OK?

I don't think it's right to associate "feminist" with "female" without qualifications by the way. The words are obviously related but according to some definitions there's a difference between being male or female and one's gender.
No, I don't believe feminism involves males, that doesn't mean males are not capable of agreeing with feminist and their rights.