• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can someone be a male and be a feminist at the same time?

Alceste

Vagabond
Yesterday I was looking at rape stats in Idaho (don't ask!) and about 70% of the 1700 victims per annum knew the attacker. Until yesterday I thought rapists were strangers....... not so, it seems.....

The sexual assault victims I know personally were almost all assaulted as children by family members. That's the most common form, I think. Depressingly common. The other two were raped by boyfriends who didn't want to wait and wouldn't take no for an answer.

I don't know anyone who has been raped by a stranger.

Kerr

The sexual assault victims I know personally were almost all assaulted as children by family members. That's the most common form, I think. Depressingly common. The other two were raped by boyfriends who didn't want to wait and wouldn't take no for an answer.

I don't know anyone who has been raped by a stranger.

And in the cases I know of, it wasnt even physically violent. The threat of violence is enough. Or they simply take advantage of when the victim is in a weakened emotional state and cannot say no because they arent strong enough at that moment.

Alceste

Vagabond
And in the cases I know of, it wasnt even physically violent. The threat of violence is enough. Or they simply take advantage of when the victim is in a weakened emotional state and cannot say no because they arent strong enough at that moment.

Yeah, domination-motivated rapists usually only use the amount of force necessary to ensure compliance. My two friends were definitely physically forced, but not in such a way that they perceived it as violence at the time. They might have struggled and they were very upset, but it would not have occurred to them to punch, kick, scratch, bite, etc. to defend themselves. It's pretty confusing when someone who is supposed to care about you does something like that. I think these rapes are hugely under-reported. Neither of my friends reported the incident to police (nothing would have come of that anyway), and both stayed with the rapist for quite a while after the rape, trying to find a way to make the relationship work.

I don't understand that, personally. That would be a deal-breaker for me. But my friends were not as independent and intolerant of unauthorized domination as I am. I've broken up with a guy for trying to tell me how to wash dishes, never mind raping me.

Wirey

Fartist
For one, I acknowledge women as having equal rights, prochoice, and whatever else it is that women feel they are being neglected of, but how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?

I don’t see how a man, male, guy, etc. can be considered a feminist when it deals specifically with women and the choices they make; as in a guy claiming to be a feminist. What would a feminist male (as hyperbolic as that may seem) have to do with women rights?

Feminism is just a fancy name for reverse discrimination. Throughout history, great leaps forward in mankind's progress have been made far more frequently by men than by women. In fact, when you get right down to it, the offer of 'Equal Rights" as a thin disguise for forcing women into positions where they frequently fail (and usually pretty egregiously) is one of the things that is dragging our society down. If we don't start giving leadership positions based on merit and not on 'leveling the playing field' the Chinese are going to eat us alive.

And on that note, I'd like to point out that I forgot to come here on April first, and I hope someone was foolish enough to fall for this. If you were, you're probably some uptight feminist who thinks she's too good to go whip me up a sammich! Belated April fools!

uberrobonomicon4000

Feminism is just a fancy name for reverse discrimination. Throughout history, great leaps forward in mankind's progress have been made far more frequently by men than by women. In fact, when you get right down to it, the offer of 'Equal Rights" as a thin disguise for forcing women into positions where they frequently fail (and usually pretty egregiously) is one of the things that is dragging our society down. If we don't start giving leadership positions based on merit and not on 'leveling the playing field' the Chinese are going to eat us alive.

And on that note, I'd like to point out that I forgot to come here on April first, and I hope someone was foolish enough to fall for this. If you were, you're probably some uptight feminist who thinks she's too good to go whip me up a sammich! Belated April fools!
Some women aren’t capable of cooking or making sammiches either. So that could be one the reason why so many turn to feminism.

I don’t blame them either. I know they don’t want to eat half of the stuff they cook, much less have me eat it. I would be better off eating road kill and licking the crap off of my shoes.

Either way you get frubals for making laugh. Actually, I’m going to frubal you from here on out every time my frubal cycle is up.

For one, I acknowledge women as having equal rights, prochoice, and whatever else it is that women feel they are being neglected of, but how can a male or guy consider themselves to be a feminist when feminism is explicitly dealing with women and women’s rights?

I don’t see how a man, male, guy, etc. can be considered a feminist when it deals specifically with women and the choices they make; as in a guy claiming to be a feminist. What would a feminist male (as hyperbolic as that may seem) have to do with women rights?

If you believe that women should be treated equally, then you are a feminist.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

1. I'm straight and I support gay rights. I'm a man and I support women's rights. Neither of these positions are contradictions.

2. I have suffered as a direct result of the expectations of gender roles, not because I am a man, but in spite of it. I do not fit the stereotype of the independent, physically strong, assertive white male that our culture idolizes, and I have been looked down on by many people because of that. So I see the cause of tearing down gender roles as a positive, not a negative.

3. I know who I am. About 99% of men who are intimidated by feminism unconsciously define themselves according to their privilege of being white, straight, Christian males. Myself, I know that all of that (with the difference being that I am not a Christian) is a part of who I am but is not the whole. Hell, even as a kid, when I got "beat by a girl" in PE, it never bothered me. Usually it was the insecure boys who made an issue out of that.

Since I don’t believe and think women should then I guess I don’t qualify to a be feminist. ;)
Then you're not a feminist. It is really simple, and does not depend upon a person's gender. If a man believes that women should be treated equally, than he is a feminist, because that is the definition of feminism. You are confusing feminism with gender roles.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
1. I'm straight and I support gay rights. I'm a man and I support women's rights. Neither of these positions are contradictions.

2. I have suffered as a direct result of the expectations of gender roles, not because I am a man, but in spite of it. I do not fit the stereotype of the independent, physically strong, assertive white male that our culture idolizes, and I have been looked down on by many people because of that. So I see the cause of tearing down gender roles as a positive, not a negative.

3. I know who I am. About 99% of men who are intimidated by feminism unconsciously define themselves according to their privilege of being white, straight, Christian males. Myself, I know that all of that (with the difference being that I am not a Christian) is a part of who I am but is not the whole. Hell, even as a kid, when I got "beat by a girl" in PE, it never bothered me. Usually it was the insecure boys who made an issue out of that.

I'm pretty sure that just because those boys weren't exactly feminists, they were insecure.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
If you believe that women should be treated equally, then you are a feminist.

No, I'm not, but I do believe such.

I don't believe sexism favors one gender over the other, unlike racism or heterosexism. I see class differences as a much larger issue than gender discrimination, too.

uberrobonomicon4000

My idea of gender equality isn’t to allow little girls to beat up little boys on the playground or vice versa.

Maybe you encouraged it or deserved it… ?
Then you're not a feminist. It is really simple, and does not depend upon a person's gender. If a man believes that women should be treated equally, than he is a feminist, because that is the definition of feminism. You are confusing feminism with gender roles.
I know I’m not a feminist. I never claimed to be one. Gender inequality doesn’t exist where I live. Women have the same amount of rights, privileges and freedoms as men and I acknowledge that women have them so it’s not even an issue. It might be for other people who have difficulties accepting gender equality, maybe it’s due to their religion, beliefs, views or opinions. As in people who think gender inequality exists whether it be in their head or where their live (the society they live in, state, country, etc.).

dust1n

Zindīq
I always get the feeling that anti-feminists attach the label to themselves for little more than an edge in the social realm. There really isn't much difference in principle; all the squibbles are over terminology and seemingly unimportant things. And while masculisnsim basically offers nothing new to the table, it is a way to write a book off the coat tails of others' works, appear provocative, and sell books all at the same time.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

My idea of gender equality isn’t to allow little girls to beat up little boys on the playground or vice versa.

Maybe you encouraged it or deserved it… ?

WHOA. :eek: I take serious offense to this "blame the victim" mentality.

Besides, I said "beat," not "beat up." As in a sportsmanlike game, not a fight.

I know I’m not a feminist. I never claimed to be one. Gender inequality doesn’t exist where I live. Women have the same amount of rights, privileges and freedoms as men and I acknowledge that women have them so it’s not even an issue. It might be for other people who have difficulties accepting gender equality, maybe it’s due to their religion, beliefs, views or opinions. As in people who think gender inequality exists whether it be in their head or where their live (the society they live in, state, country, etc.).

Where do you live? Because exactly one of these things is true: (1) you don't live in America, or probably anywhere else on Earth; or (2) you are sorely mistaken. The highlighted statement is simply false.

Uber, I would strongly suggest that you stop making these ignorant comments and read the following. You really have no idea how out of touch your views on this matter are. Here's the reality: The Male Privilege Checklist | Alas, a Blog

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Easily. We advocate gender equality, and this is most lacking in womens' issues.

To exclude men from the discussion altogether would be as segregating as some of the things feminism is trying to do away with.

uberrobonomicon4000

WHOA. :eek: I take serious offense to this "blame the victim" mentality.

Besides, I said "beat," not "beat up." As in a sportsmanlike game, not a fight.
Who cares. Either way you are making an argument out of nothing.

Where do you live? Because exactly one of these things is true: (1) you don't live in America, or probably anywhere else on Earth; or (2) you are sorely mistaken. The highlighted statement is simply false.

Uber, I would strongly suggest that you stop making these ignorant comments and read the following. You really have no idea how out of touch your views on this matter are. Here's the reality: The Male Privilege Checklist | Alas, a Blog
I do live in America. I just find it funny that so many people fall for political theater and the whole war on women political catch phrases.

Go look up the laws in your own state because that is where I live.

Gays can adopt and have children.
We have been pushing for gay marriage and equal rights a lot longer than other states.
Women are allowed to have abortions. There is pro choice.
I know gay couples that adopt. I know women who have had abortions.

Women have equal rights, they have all of the freedoms and privileges men do like I said.