• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can any true Christian accept an Appointing of a gay bishop ?

Duck

Yes, Jesus did fulfill the law and we are no longer under the Law of Moses today. However, the Law that Jesus was under and obeyed was the Law of Moses. And the Mosaic Law certainly helps us to see Jehovah's view relating to morality. The injunction against practicing homosexuality is also a law Christians must follow. (1 Corinthians 6:9,10) The apostle Paul was inspired to describe homosexual acts as expressions of “disgraceful sexual appetites” and as “contrary to nature.” He writes: “That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error. And just as they did not approve of holding God in accurate knowledge, God gave them up to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting.”—Romans 1:26-28.
The Scriptures offer no apologies, no concessions, no ambiguity; homosexual practices, adultery, fornication, are all repulsive in God’s sight.

Seems that the quote here from Romans fits more with the interpretation that these peoples were being punished by having sex in a way that was un-natural to them. Dunno, kind of like punitive rape or something. But I know that taking that tack just doesn't work with fundamentalists.

rusra02

Premium Member
I've often wondered why your posts start out in large font, and then shrink to a smaller font. I've wanted to ask why, but never did.

I took the time to do a little web search, and guess what I found? Take a look at this site: In Leviticus 19:27 it says you can't cut your hair or shave? Why not? - Yahoo! Answers
Notice the font type and size - oh - and the exact wording - of the second paragraph of the "best answer":
Israelite men of old wore beards of moderate length, and they used a razor to keep them well trimmed. So, what did God’s Law mean when it commanded Israelite men not to ‘cut their sidelocks short around’ or “destroy the extremity” of their beards? This was not a command against trimming one’s hair or beard. Rather, it discouraged Israelite men from imitating the extreme religious practices of neighboring pagan nations.—Leviticus 19:27; Jeremiah 9:25, 26; 25:23; 49:32.

Do you know what plagiarism is? I could be wrong, but I thought that stealing was a no no for a man of your religious bent.

If you don't have the courtesy to compose your own answers, at least do the right thing when you lift an entire paragraph from someone else's work. At the very least, give the author credit, and provide a link.

Absolutely pathetic.

The quote is attributed to C&P from W04 5/15p24,g001/22p22 according to the link. These are publications of Jehovah's witnesses. As one of Jehovah's witnesses, the quote represents my belief and understanding. If I should have attributed the quote to the Watchtower, that is my mistake. However, I do not directly speak for the publishers of those magazines. Their official website is www.watchtower.org. In the future, I will refrain from directly quoting material from our Christian publications, even though it represents what I believe. If I do make a direct quote, I will include the applicable publication. All of my posts reflects my personal belief and convictions as one of Jehovah's witnesses in what the Bible teaches, which is the ultimate authority for all true Christians.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
To the OP- I always find it funny how your types love to read Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6 out of context to justify your hate of gay people. Then you dress it up and attempt to justify the hate as "hate the sin" BS. Romans 1 is not talking about gay people, it's talking about people born straight who then choose to go against their inclination. How can someone born gay go against their nature? 1 Corinthians 6 in most modern Bible versions, but I'm sure you conviniently use the KJV as most fundies do, render the verse more closely to the Greek, which puts forth that Paul was disagreeing with the prostitution of young boys and sex with minors done in Roman temples.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
All of my posts reflects my personal belief and convictions as one of Jehovah's witnesses in what the Bible teaches, which is the ultimate authority for all true Christians.
I've observed that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is the ultimate authority for Jehovah's Witnesses. It's not for nothing that Witnesses who join here are always quoting Watchtower publications; independent thought and reason are not strongly discouraged among them.

rusra02

Premium Member
To the OP- I always find it funny how your types love to read Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6 out of context to justify your hate of gay people. Then you dress it up and attempt to justify the hate as "hate the sin" BS. Romans 1 is not talking about gay people, it's talking about people born straight who then choose to go against their inclination. How can someone born gay go against their nature? 1 Corinthians 6 in most modern Bible versions, but I'm sure you conviniently use the KJV as most fundies do, render the verse more closely to the Greek, which puts forth that Paul was disagreeing with the prostitution of young boys and sex with minors done in Roman temples.

These scriptures are talking about homosexual conduct, whether between men or women. God's word condemns such conduct as well as adultery, reviling, drunkenness and other sins. It is not hate for a person committing these sins to express God's viewpoint, as written in the Bible. Neither is it hate for homosexuals to express God's clearly stated disapproval for such conduct.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Even assuming the Bible to be literally true, that still wouldn't make much of a case for homosexuality being against God's will.

rusra02

Premium Member
I've observed that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is the ultimate authority for Jehovah's Witnesses. It's not for nothing that Witnesses who join here are always quoting Watchtower publications; independent thought and reason are not strongly discouraged among them.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 states: "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."
1 Timothy 3:15 calls the Christian congregation " a pillar and support of the truth."
Jehovah's witnesses believe and follow the Bible. Having made a careful and personal examination, using their power of reason, each Christian witness has been convinced of the truthfulness of Bible teaching. Thus we are united in our beliefs and teaching, as were the early Christians. If by independent thought you mean believing anything you choose to believe, 2 Corinthians 10:5 applies "For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God; and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ". Satan's appeal to Eve was to decide for herself what is good or bad. Today, appeals to independent thought are similarly appeals to decide for ourselves what is good and bad. The disastrous state of affairs in the world shows the results of such a course.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
1 Thessalonians 5:21 states: "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."
1 Timothy 3:15 calls the Christian congregation " a pillar and support of the truth."
Jehovah's witnesses believe and follow the Bible. Having made a careful and personal examination, using their power of reason, each Christian witness has been convinced of the truthfulness of Bible teaching. Thus we are united in our beliefs and teaching, as were the early Christians. If by independent thought you mean believing anything you choose to believe, 2 Corinthians 10:5 applies "For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God; and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ". Satan's appeal to Eve was to decide for herself what is good or bad. Today, appeals to independent thought are similarly appeals to decide for ourselves what is good and bad. The disastrous state of affairs in the world shows the results of such a course.
Nice cookie cutter answer!

And way to prove the point you tried to refute.

Smoke

Done here.

I have family who are Witnesses, and I've been talking to Witnesses about their beliefs for as long as I can remember. Reason has nothing to do with it. And as Mestemia points out, your post is a good example of that.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think its odd how people quote Paul about saying that Jesus fulfilled the law and thus no one has to follow it anymore when Jesus HIMSELF, the man who actually matters here, said that not one jot or tittle will be removed from the law.

Personally I imagine that being 'Christian' implys following the teachings OF Christ, not someone else talking about Christ.

So then I come to the question, what is a TRUE Christian? I have no idea, people these days just confuse me, they tend to be very stupid, but id say that maybe someone who follows Jesus' teachings would be relatively true in their claim of beings "Christian"

Also, might I add a little teaching of Christ here:

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.​
- Matthew 7:15-20

Id say that honestly I see alot of bad fruits coming in the name of "Christianity" and judging others and condemning others, but frankly, they represent nothing Christian in my opinion.

So I ask everyone, who do you honestly with your heart, see as a bad fruit here?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
... In the future, I will refrain from directly quoting material from our Christian publications, even though it represents what I believe. If I do make a direct quote, I will include the applicable publication...
Followed in your very next post by:

You were saying something about giving credit to the people that you lift this crap from, weren't you?

Or is it to be expected that you will just continue to plagiarize?

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
These scriptures are talking about homosexual conduct, whether between men or women. God's word condemns such conduct as well as adultery, reviling, drunkenness and other sins. It is not hate for a person committing these sins to express God's viewpoint, as written in the Bible. Neither is it hate for homosexuals to express God's clearly stated disapproval for such conduct.
You understand, of course, that it's not God's viewpoint that's being stated, but the author's?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You understand, of course, that it's not God's viewpoint that's being stated, but the author's?
But, did not god take physical control of the authors and write what HE wanted?
Or is that just the King James Version?

Damn, I keep getting that mixed up. :yes: