• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can any true Christian accept an Appointing of a gay bishop ?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Thus we are united in our beliefs and teaching, as were the early Christians
No, they really weren't. There was wide diversity in the early church.
Satan's appeal to Eve was to decide for herself what is good or bad.
How can we be loved if we aren't ... us? How can we be us if our thoughts are dictated?

sojourner

But, did not god take physical control of the authors and write what HE wanted?
Or is that just the King James Version?

Damn, I keep getting that mixed up. :yes:
I hope not, because, if that's the case, God is awfully confused.:shrug:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I hope not, because, if that's the case, God is awfully confused.:shrug:
It is something I hear from my Brother and his fellow KJO friends.
That God physically took over the translators and wrote the Bible the exact way he wanted it written.

I mean, they believe it to the point that they even claim that if it disagrees with the KJV, throw it out in favour of the KJV.

Duck

How can we be loved if we aren't ... us? How can we be us if our thoughts are dictated?

But god gave us free will. As long as we do exactly what he wants (which of course is dictated by a bunch of bigots, but hey, we are totally exercising free will). If we don't do exactly what he wants us to do with our free will, well then we can just burn.

sojourner

That God physically took over the translators and wrote the Bible the exact way he wanted it written.

I mean, they believe it to the point that they even claim that if it disagrees with the KJV, throw it out in favour of the KJV.
Oh, yes. The old "the KJV fell out of the sky with red letters intact" myth.
How sad.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

Thats just upsetting :sad4:

sojourner

But god gave us free will. As long as we do exactly what he wants (which of course is dictated by a bunch of bigots, but hey, we are totally exercising free will). If we don't do exactly what he wants us to do with our free will, well then we can just burn.
A good parent doesn't give matches to a small child, then tell him not to light them.:facepalm:

Why do they think that God, who parents us better than the best parents, would do virtually the same thing? Remember the passage about serpents and bread?

rusra02

Premium Member
Followed in your very next post by:

You were saying something about giving credit to the people that you lift this crap from, weren't you?

Or is it to be expected that you will just continue to plagiarize?

Those are my words, except for the scripture quotations, as noted.

rusra02

Premium Member
You understand, of course, that it's not God's viewpoint that's being stated, but the author's?

The Bible claims to be the word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 says "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness."
Jesus quoted from the scriptures and said that God's Word is the truth. (John 17:17).
The writers of the Bible wrote under inspiration, so the Bible reflects God's viewpoint, not mans.

rusra02

Premium Member

There was not wide diversity in the first century Christian congregation. Only after the death of the apostles did widespread disunity and false teachings develop.

We should not be surprised that we need to adjust our thinking and conduct in order to be pleasing to God. We are greatly benefited by doing as instructed at Romans 12:1,2 "Consequently I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

McBell

The Bible claims to be the word of God.
No it does not.
The Bible mentions the Scriptures but never once does the Bible refer to itself.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17 says "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness."

You forgot the verse that mentions the Bible.
Of course, if you do not know or understand the difference between the Bible and Scriptures...

Hint:
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Jesus quoted from the scriptures and said that God's Word is the truth. (John 17:17).
Again, not one mention of the Bible.

The writers of the Bible wrote under inspiration, so the Bible reflects God's viewpoint, not mans.
So is it your claim that the same said inspiration extends to the translations?
What about passages like the Comma johanneum?
Where they also "inspired" by God?
What of the mistranslations concerning the word Easter?
Did they strain at the gnat, or strain it out?

rusra02

Premium Member
No it does not.
The Bible mentions the Scriptures but never once does the Bible refer to itself.

You forgot the verse that mentions the Bible.
Of course, if you do not know or understand the difference between the Bible and Scriptures...

Hint:
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Again, not one mention of the Bible.

So is it your claim that the same said inspiration extends to the translations?
What about passages like the Comma johanneum?
Where they also "inspired" by God?
What of the mistranslations concerning the word Easter?
Did they strain at the gnat, or strain it out?

I think you are straining out the gnat. Of course when we refer to the Bible, we are referring to the Scriptures. This is the common word used today and is easily recognized as referring to the Holy Scriptures. Certainly Jesus quoted from and followed the inspired Hebrew scriptures. The letters of the apostles, written under inspiration from God, were considered part of the sacred scriptures by first century Christians (2 Peter 3:15,16). The fact that some translators of the Bible make translation mistakes does not negate the fact the Bible is inspired by God. Translators are not inspired, and translation mistakes are caught and known, as are apocryphal writings.

sojourner

The Bible claims to be the word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 says "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness."

That's quite naive. "The Bible is the word of God because the Bible says so" is circular logic. Further, "inspired by" and "word of" are completely different things. Writing under inspiration only means that one's POV is in the same ballpark with God's POV, not exactly the same thoughts and words. In the end, God uses us as we are, which means that the Bible is a human document, written from a human POV.

McBell

I think you are straining out the gnat. Of course when we refer to the Bible, we are referring to the Scriptures. This is the common word used today and is easily recognized as referring to the Holy Scriptures. Certainly Jesus quoted from and followed the inspired Hebrew scriptures. The letters of the apostles, written under inspiration from God, were considered part of the sacred scriptures by first century Christians (2 Peter 3:15,16). The fact that some translators of the Bible make translation mistakes does not negate the fact the Bible is inspired by God. Translators are not inspired, and translation mistakes are caught and known, as are apocryphal writings.
The problem is that the Bible does not contain all the Scriptures.

You have not established that your claim "the Bible is inspired by God" is a fact.

Your appeals to popularity are just flat out amusing.

You failed to address the fact that there have been additions to your Bible.

So, how long have you been able to read the original Biblical languages?

sojourner

There was not wide diversity in the first century Christian congregation. Only after the death of the apostles did widespread disunity and false teachings develop.

We should not be surprised that we need to adjust our thinking and conduct in order to be pleasing to God. We are greatly benefited by doing as instructed at Romans 12:1,2 "Consequently I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers, to present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."
There absolutely was diversity in the first-century church. Read your history (as well as the Bible). Paul talks about it a lot. The ostracism of uncircumcised Xians wasn't a "false teaching???"

Adjusting our thinking is not the same thing as being an automaton.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Do you see any problem with this argument:
"We know the Bible is the word of God because it claims to be?"
Any problem at all?
(hint
images
9k=
)

Actually, that passage doesn't even claim to be the word of God, does it? It merely claims that scripture (not the Bible, but scripture) is inspired of God. Surely you can see those are two very different things.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
These scriptures are talking about homosexual conduct, whether between men or women. God's word condemns such conduct as well as adultery, reviling, drunkenness and other sins. It is not hate for a person committing these sins to express God's viewpoint, as written in the Bible. Neither is it hate for homosexuals to express God's clearly stated disapproval for such conduct.

Sorry but you've yet to disprove my rendering of those verses. You don't know what context is do you? Prove that how I view those verses is wrong. I will wait :)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think many protestants dont realize that their bible doesnt have the same books as the older catholic bible. So whos bible is holy scripture inspired by God? Even the old testament of the protestant bible doesnt contain all the books that are in the Jewish scriptures. So who was inspired by God to say "hey, these books arent actually inspired by God! We need to take them out and use only these!"

:shrug: