• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How can a Jew reject Jesus as the Messiah?

Skywalker

Then why doesn't the OT describe God as Gods plural? And when it does, it's talking about idol worship?

Examples:

1 Kings 18:24
Jeremiah 2:28
Daniel 3:18

The OT denounces Gods and divine plurality.

The Trinity is one God in three persons, not three gods. Trinity - Wikipedia

The Christian doctrine of the Trinity (Latin: Trinitas, lit. 'triad', from Latin: trinus "threefold")[1] holds that God is one God, but three coeternal and consubstantial persons:[2][3] the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct, yet are one "substance, essence or nature" (homoousios).[4] In this context, a "nature" is what one is, whereas a "person" is who one is.[5]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The Trinity is one God in three persons, not three gods. Trinity - Wikipedia
God in 3 persons is an idol. It's easy to see why.

God, literally, cannot be idolized. As soon as someone idolizes something, that's proof the idol isn't God who created heaven and earth.

Since people idolize the Trinity, it cannot be God who created everything. Idolatry is a moving target. As time goes on and people idolize more and more things, more and more things are proven not to be God.

Skywalker

God, literally, cannot be idolized. As soon as someone idolizes something, that's proof the idol isn't God who created heaven and earth.

Since people idolize the Trinity, it cannot be God who created everything. Idolatry is a moving target. As time goes on and people idolize more and more things, more and more things are proven not to be God.

The Old Testament doesn't use the term yachid to talk about the unity of God. Plurality in the Old Testament

It may be worth noting that a medieval Jewish Rabbi and Scholar named Moses Maimonides substituted the word echad for yachid (a word which can mean unique, solitary, only one etc.) when articulating the Jewish position regarding God’s unity. However, this very change, or the fact that Maimonides felt the need to insert yachid in the place of echad, betrays the fact that the Christians had a strong argument based on the original form. Maimonides seemed to be aware that echad could function as a uniplural, suggesting a plurality-within-unity, and chose another word that he thought would more strongly emphasize that God is a singularity or a solitary existence. Messianic Scholar Dr. Michael Brown writes:

"Actually, ’echad simply means ‘one,’ exactly like our English word ‘one.’ While it can refer to compound unity (just as our English word can, as in one team, one couple, etc.), it does not specifically refer to compound unity. On the other hand, ‘echad certainly does not refer to the concept of absolute unity, an idea expressed most clearly in the twelfth century by Moses Maimonides, who asserted that the Jewish people must believe that God is yachid, an ‘only’ one. There is no doubt that this reaction was due to exaggerated, unbiblical, ‘Christian’ beliefs that gave Jews the impression Christians worshiped three gods. Unfortunately, the view of Maimonides is reactionary and also goes beyond what is stated in the Scriptures. In fact, there is not a single verse anywhere in the Bible that clearly or directly states that God is an absolute unity." (Brown, Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Theological Objections [Baker Books, Grand Rapids MI, 2000], Volume Two, p. 4)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I highly recommend you check out 2 Esdras though. Not just for the allusions of Messiah but also because of the detail of how Scripture came to be after the Yahudah's return from Babylon - including the formation of an early canon.
I gather that the apocryphal Esdras have different names by different churches. If you're referring to the one where Ezra writes the 94 books, then I've read that (in Hebrew it's called Ezra 4 or the External/Apocryphal Ezra). That particular section goes against one of the prime concepts in Judaism, which is the unbroken chain of tradition. Obviously the author wished to praise Ezra, but in doing so he was also undermining all of Jewish tradition.
As I understand it, Susanna may have been deliberately left out due to the controversial depiction of the leaders in the book. It didn't paint them a great light at all, and so may have been "edited" out along with other books that didn't harmonise with the Pharisaic standpoint.
I've heard this. And this is a claim made at least as far back as Origen (Letter to Africanus), but nope. I prefer Jerome's explanation per his discussions with actual Jews of his time, which was very close to the time the Jewish canon was locked:

"The Hebrews say that these men who "committed foolishness in Israel" and "committed adultery with the wives of their fellow citizens" are the elders to whom Daniel spoke...But what is said in the present passage, "whom the king of Babylon roasted in the fire," appears to contradict the historia of Daniel, which asserts that the elders were stoned to death by the people as a result of Daniel's judgement, whereas here it is written that the king of Babylon roasted them in the fire. For this reason, this story is rejected as a mere fable by many of us and by almost all of the Hebrews; nor do they read it in their synagogues. "For how could it be," it is argued, "that captives had the authority to stone their own leaders and prophets?" (Source)
Origen's explanation makes little sense to me, when considering that Tanach is stuffed to the brim with scenes that depict Israelite leaders in controversial positions and actions.

One could assume that, but should they?

Which do you think is wiser? Assessing a book for yourself, using your acute powers of analysis, or assuming someone else has done so adequately before? If we assume real infallible geniuses have gone before us, then what new ground can we ever hope to break? With that assumption, over time wouldn't we slowly and consistently become reductive in our own opinions and experiences?
You have touched upon a point that I'm coming to realize more and more is a key difference between Judaism and Christianity, and was also noted by the guy in that video: in Judaism, the sages of past generations are considered greater, both in knowledge and in holiness. Criticism of these sages is generally based on their spiritual level, not by comparing them to later generations. That dude in the video stated something about either Irenaeus or Justin Martyr - can't remember which one - saying something along the lines of "He took great liberties with scripture, I wish I could meet him just to point out all of his mistakes". Which undermines the term "Church Father". Meaning, being a "Church Father" is merely a title and doesn't mean that you were on a higher spiritual level than modern-day Christians. It seems to me that you're suggesting the same. That's fine, stick to your views if you wish. But that's not our views. Generations long past were greater than us. Not infallible, but certainly greater than us in many aspects.

Thus, my personal analysis will only get me so far. I trust the teachings of our sages. You may appreciate at the very least that these men had access to ancient traditions long since lost to us. Consider that 1500-2000 years ago was much closer to the times of the last prophets (in particular according to the Jewish chronology) than our time.
It's another one worth checking out. Even if it's as approached as a fiction novel. :)
You reminded me now of one particular paragraph in Jubilees that was undermined in the Talmud:

"And in this thirty-ninth jubilee, in the second week in the first year, Terah took to himself a wife, and her name was ’Êdnâ, the daughter of ’Abrâm the daughter of his father's sister. And in the seventh year of this week she bare him a son, and he called his name Abram, by the name of the father of his mother; for he had died before his daughter had conceived a son." (Jubilees 11)
While in the Talmud it says:

"And Rav Hanan bar Rava says that Rav says: The mother of Abraham was called Amatlai bat Karnevo." (Bava Batra 91a)
Few apocryphal works are referenced by name by the sages of the Mishnaic and Talmudic periods, but this may be a hint towards at least one reason why Jubilees was not included in Tanach. As to why this tradition is more trustworthy than Jubilees's, that's an interesting subject in itself, but the short answer is that there's recorded evidence that Rav himself knew many more traditions and had access to ancient texts that we no longer have.

Last edited:

Skywalker

God in 3 persons is not an idol. An idol would be a concept of God that isn't holy and just.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
God in 3 persons is not an idol. An idol would be a concept of God that isn't holy and just.
Not just? You mean like Jesus messing up the booths outside of the Temple without a proper trial? Unjust like that?

Skywalker

Not just? You mean like Jesus messing up the booths outside of the Temple without a proper trial? Unjust like that?

Jesus doing certain things was different because Jesus is God. Did Jesus Sin in Cleansing the Temple?

In the outer court of the Jerusalem Temple, which was open to Gentile pilgrims, merchants sold sacrificial animals and exchanged foreign currency so that Jewish pilgrims could pay the Temple tax. However, the merchants inflated the price of the animals and cheated on currency exchanges, impeding the worship of both Jews and Gentiles, the former because of overpriced animal offerings and unjust exchange rates, and the latter because of the scandal those actions gave them. Recall that Isaiah prophesied that all one would one day gather at the Temple for prayer, including the Gentiles (Isa. 56:3-8).

So Jesus righteously rebukes the money-changers, because the Temple is a sanctuary of worship, not a place for financial profit (Matt. 21:12-17; John 2:13-22; see CC583-84).

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus doing certain things was different because Jesus is God. Did Jesus Sin in Cleansing the Temple?
I recommend watching the following video, in particular from 2:42 to 3:48, to understand what is very problematic with what you are saying, with regards to the fact that Jesus, while he was alive, was "fully human" as you Christians say, and thus must be subject to the same laws as other men. If not, then the term "fully human" is utterly meaningless.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
God in 3 persons is an idol.

Putting God "in" anything is an idol.

If it has a form and people worship it, it's an idol.

Skywalker

I recommend watching the following video, in particular from 2:42 to 3:48, to understand what is very problematic with what you are saying, with regards to the fact that Jesus, while he was alive, was "fully human" as you Christians say, and thus must be subject to the same laws as other men. If not, then the term "fully human" is utterly meaningless.

Jesus being God explains why he was at the temple talking to the rabbis when his parents were looking for him.

Skywalker

Sooo...if you're god you can disrespect your parents, diss the general public, be unjust, and still demand mankind be kind, respectful and just themselves. Well. I'm glad I don't believe in your god.

Jesus didn't diss people. He, as God, spoke out against their corruption.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Let me just briefly mention is that with the Catholic "understanding" of the Trinity, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are of God but not exactly the same as God. Since this is beyond our ability to more fully comprehend, we often refer to it as being the "Mystery of the Trinity".

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus didn't diss people. He, as God, spoke out against their corruption.
Jesus called a non-Jewish woman a dog. If that's not dissing, then I don't know what is. Matthew 15:

21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

25 The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said.

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.​

Skywalker

Jesus called a non-Jewish woman a dog. If that's not dissing, then I don't know what is. Matthew 15:

21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.​

Jesus often spoke in parables. Why did Jesus call the Canaanite woman a dog? | GotQuestions.org

So, according to both the context and language involved, Jesus wasn’t referring to the Canaanite woman as a “dog,” either directly or indirectly. He wasn’t using an epithet or racial slur but making a point about the priorities He’d been given by God. He was also testing the faith of the woman and teaching an important lesson to His disciples.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

This passage always made me feel a bit sick. I think it would be interesting to start a new thread on it asking Christians about it though.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
This passage always made me feel a bit sick. I think it would be interesting to start a new thread on it asking Christians about it though.
While it will likely be "featured" quickly, I doubt it would really get anywhere.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Skywalker

I assume it would have been incredibly easy for Jesus to say: "No, child, you and your kin are not dogs. I simply have other priorities."

To understand what Jesus said one has to understand the context of the Bible verses. Jesus didn't call the Canaanite woman a dog in a derogatory way. Why did Jesus call the Canaanite woman a dog? | GotQuestions.org

At this point, Jesus explained His current ministry in a way that both the woman and the watching disciples could understand. At that time, His duty was to the people of Israel, not to the Gentiles (Matthew 15:24). Recklessly taking His attention from Israel, in violation of His mission, would be like a father taking food from his children in order to throw it to their pets (Matthews 15:26). The exact word Jesus used here, in Greek, was kunarion, meaning “small dog” or “pet dog.” This is a completely different word from the term kuon, used to refer to unspiritual people or to an “unclean” animal.