• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are these Great Beings explained?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wonder if the idea of death is an abrahamic idea but not shared by many traditions not just Dharmic and eastern in nature.

Could be. Certainly there is a great fear of it there, in some people absolutely. I liked when Paramacharya said, 'We're all doing it." Death denial is a problem.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the idea of death is an abrahamic idea but not shared by many traditions not just Dharmic and eastern in nature.

What death do you consider Christ taught?

Did not Christ show how to overcome physical death by being alive in Spirit?

Regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Not the way I see it, but sure. Hindus believe the soul would exist independently. Even a person with nobody to remember him/her still is a soul. according to Hindu belief. On a more ultimate inner level.

The swami in the video I linked, (but since deleted since it seemed too much like proselytizing my belief) compared it to the myth of the sun coming up every day. We totally speak about, think of the sun rising to the east, yet if we look deeper we know it's the earth spinning that causes that illusion. So there is no death, just as the leaves of a tree falling off every year doesn't mean the tree is dead. Just taking a break. So the soul is taking a break.

Please feel free to post that video to me personally, or not if you feel uncomfortable. I looked for it yesterday but found it had been deleted.

Interesting conversation about the nature of the soul and what happens after death. Three different perspectives on the afterlife. (1) There is no afterlife. (2) There is an afterlife and we progress through the worlds of God beyond this one. (3) The soul transmigrates to another life in this world until perfection is reached and moksha is achieved. We are freed from the cycle of life and death eventually in all three paradigms though in Hinduism it takes a little longer. Perhaps a lot longer.

What does it mean for our short lives here? We better make the best of it, because we only get one shot at it? If we make the best of it we move closer to Moksha. If we fluff around or make a complete hash of it by hurting others and being horrible then there's always another life?

How can we know for certain? You have your lineage of gurus to guide you on the right path and ensure you have the truth.@Carlita has the Buddha's teachings which could be confidently interpreted by some to mean there is no afterlife. I have my long line of "I'm right and your wrong prophets" that go back to Adam 6000 years ago.

Can any of us know from experience? Some have NDE and claim to have seen a light, relatives or a glimpse of the next world. Others claim memories of past lives. Some have mystical experiences that confirm us in our faith and then we are back to the same paradox as above.

They are all true to each of us. Can all three be literally true or do they contradict each other?

If one is the best truth, which one and why?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Regards Tony

Christ taught death as permanent and only flesh-the sinful nature. Once a Christian dies in sacrifice/christ to the creator, they go to be with the father with christ for eternity. Death is sacrifice of the physical self in christianity.

In Buddhism, death is a transition not an end to the physical self. It means nothing. Instead, we are reborn-in a cycle-in this life like all parts of life and relieve suffering through our birth until we reach liberation by death not by resurrection and the we actually die. There is no resurrection. So death means nothing in Buddhism. It's an illusion.

I wonder if death, like the fear of death and the "end" concept, is an abrahamic viewpoint. Spiritualist see death as a transition so it's not at all eastern. I wonder if other faiths view death as a transition as well.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
:pensive:

Regards Tony

I don't think Jesus (Yeshua) made much ado about death, but early Christianity most certainly offered a wonderful afterlife to any who would be humbled, pacified and controlled.

Hmmmm.....:pensive:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Can any of us know from experience? Some have NDE and claim to have seen a light, relatives or a glimpse of the next world. Others claim memories of past lives. Some have mystical experiences that confirm us in our faith and then we are back to the same paradox as above.

They are all true to each of us. Can all three be literally true or do they contradict each other?

I was dead for countless billions of years; and it was alright.
I can be dead for countless billions of years yet again; and it will be alright.

Into this Universe, and 'why' not knowing,
Nor 'whence', like Water willy-nilly flowing,
And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
I know not 'whither', willy-nilly blowing.
Rubaiyat
Omar Khayyam

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well...

I've had out of body experiences when I was younger. Later own, I thought it was a spiritual phenomena. Then I learned every experiences is interpreted by the mind. It reflected my experiences with seizures and depression-neuro conditions. Then I learned that training my mental state affects my health and spiritual well being. The Buddha so happens to make that more personal, spiritual, and devotional. Now, I know I have these experiences and I'm not crazy. I just have to admit they are my experiences and be me.

They contradict. Moska, going off this thread, is union with god to put it simply. Buddhism has no union. I guess some would define liberation as a mystical experience of The Buddha. In the beginning of this thread, that was how Bahai liked The Buddha pointing to god by seeing his enlightenment as an experience of god of some sort. Other Buddhists from the Dhamma talks I'm listening to see it simple. No suffering. Death. Freedom. If Vinayaka gives you that video, it's a good one. I honestly would not compare it to Bahai faith.

Why one truth? Why the best?

*Smells Abrahamic nearby* :p

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was dead for countless billions of years; and it was alright.
I can be dead for countless billions of years yet again; and it will be alright.

Into this Universe, and 'why' not knowing,
Nor 'whence', like Water willy-nilly flowing,
And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
I know not 'whither', willy-nilly blowing.
Rubaiyat
Omar Khayyam

That is beautiful. I was thinking that life is a mystery to be enjoyed rather than a problem to be solved.

The clash and cacophony of differing world views is music to my hears today.

Tomorrow is a different day and I'll be back to debating the pros and cons as we all do:cool:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
That's an excellent article thanks Carlita.

Here is another excerpt I wanted to share, which I think is very relevant to this thread and completely resonated for me.

The value of interreligious dialogue
What, then, is the value of interreligious dialogue? How should it be conducted? The purpose is to benefit people, not to debate and arise victorious. When we approach dialogue with an open mind, respect and willingness to learn, we benefit others and are benefited in return. However, if we or the other party lack this attitude, then it is better not to discuss religion. For communication to occur, there has to be a sincere wish to listen, not simply to speak. If this is missing, it is best to excuse ourselves from the conversation. Were it to continue, the discussion would degenerate into an issue of power, not spirituality, with one party trying to dominate or convert the other. Genuine interreligious dialogue occurs in an atmosphere of mutual respect and genuine interest. It is a sharing of spirituality that inspires all parties. Someone once observed, “When philosophers and theologians meet, they argue. When spiritual practitioners and mystics meet, they smile.”

Of course, like many religious adherents I don't come close to living up to the high ideals of my faith. However like the mystics, some of these discussions make me smile, perhaps for different reasons, but its genuinely a pleasure and privilege to be here. :)

I have attended two Dalai Lama talks btw on occasions he has visited my town.
Hey Adrian, I'm so far behind, I don't know if I'll ever catch up. But I checked on what was going on today and found the Dalai Lama was part of the conversation. Since they believe he was reincarnated and they teach reincarnation as true, how do Baha'is deal with that?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Adrian, I'm so far behind, I don't know if I'll ever catch up. But I checked on what was going on today and found the Dalai Lama was part of the conversation. Since they believe he was reincarnated and they teach reincarnation as true, how do Baha'is deal with that?

Welcome back again. It does not matter if you read a couple of posts to catch up or a hundred. It's good to have you here. Only some Buddhists believe in reincarnation, like the Tibetans (I think), while many don't. So what did the Buddha really teach? The answer to that question may depend on who you believe as it's probably near impossible to objectively say with certainty.

For a better answer you could talk to the many Baha'is from Buddhist backgrounds in Asia. The'll have their sutra and suttas figured out better than I ever will. Too bad we have none on this thread:)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It’s very clear. John had two visions. One of the Lion and another of the Lamb - two Manifestations of God. The Bab and Baha’u’llah. The Lamb was not Christ as Christ was crucified not slain. And the word used for Lamb in Revelation ‘arnion’ appears nowhere in the Gospels clearly indicating it wasn’t Jesus. Jesus was always referred to as the ‘pascall’ Lamb.

The vision goes on to say that only one new song was sung by Two Figures again indicating They both brought one Faith.

This is what we believe and others are free to disagree.
From Revelation 5:
“Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” 3 But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. 4 I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. 5 Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

6 Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. 7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne.
One being is worthy, not two. The Lion and the Lamb are the same being.

From Rev 7:
...before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”

“These in white robes... are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb... the Lamb at the center of the throne
will be their shepherd..."
The Lamb is the dominant figure in the Revelation. The symbolism of robes washed white in the blood is so very Christian and alludes to Jesus. The Bab doesn't fit the descriptions. God is the one on the throne, not Baha'u'llah. So still unclear to me.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Welcome back again. It does not matter if you read a couple of posts to catch up or a hundred. It's good to have you here. Only some Buddhists believe in reincarnation, like the Tibetans (I think), while many don't. So what did the Buddha really teach? The answer to that question may depend on who you believe as it's probably near impossible to objectively say with certainty.

For a better answer you could talk to the many Baha'is from Buddhist backgrounds in Asia. The'll have their sutra and suttas figured out better than I ever will. Too bad we have none on this thread:)
Only some? Or only some don't believe in reincarnation? But the Dalai Lama does. Is he wrong and misinformed?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
You need the New Testament to understand all religions prior to Christ, then we need the Koran, thus now the Writings of Baha'u'llah clearly contain the Keys.

Then there are other lines of Truth to follow as well

The most Important Key is One God.

Read scriptures with this key, you will look for that Oneness and it is found.

I have finished.

Regards Tony
"You need the New Testament to understand all religions prior to Christ"? Yes, for the Christian view of Judaism. But what about the other religions? How do Christians view Hindu and Buddhism?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I had to laugh at this, as it's a western interpretation of a rare school or thought within Hinduism, that just happens to be the closest to any Christian concept of a trinity. Hardly even Hinduism at all any more. You wouldn't likely encounter it outside of western encyclopedias written by non-Hindus.
But the Gods do have wives don't they? But more seriously, "schools" of thought within religions is an important thing to look at. It shows the progression and reworking of a religion from the inside, by the believers themselves. Some prominent Baha'is commented on the way the Baha'i Faith was doing things and got in big trouble. The main one I remember was an article in a magazine run by Baha'is.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Only some? Or only some don't believe in reincarnation? But the Dalai Lama does. Is he wrong and misinformed?
I really like the Dalai Lama and what he has to say, though haven't heard him speak on reincarnation. I suspect he draws heavily on the religious traditions of his faith as most religious adherents do.

Is reincarnation a true belief? How about Jesus, God incarnate resurrecting from the dead? Or perhaps Muhammad being the seal of the prophets? There are a constellation of contradictory beliefs both between faiths and within faiths. Are they all true? If not who has the best truth?