• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homosexuality and the U.S. Constitution

PRV357

How am I attempting to quash diversity? By disapporving of intolerance, bigotry, and attempts to legally enforce them? Sorry, but you need to brush up on your definitions.

I disapprove of intolerance & bigotry against Religious opinions & any attempts to legally suppress them...
as per the sentiments of my last response, which also acknowledges the rights of homosexuals... to promote their own cause & cast their own votes, okay?

every time you sling mud at me, you're getting your own prejudicial hands dirty

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I disapprove of intolerance & bigotry against Religious opinions & any attempts to legally suppress them...
as per the sentiments of my last response, which also acknowledges the rights of homosexuals... to promote their own cause & cast their own votes, okay?

You acknowledge a minority's right to be oppressed through the voting system by the majority in cases of rights which should be equal to all?

How kind.

Dingbat

Oh bugger off with the Klansmen defense. Your views are fine when they stay personal once they enter the realm of policy they are no longer religious views but an attempt to force religious doctrine on people. I will and have resisted that and will continue to do so till my last breath. My family didn't fight to establish this Republic so religious zealots could run it into the ground with bigotry and hatred.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

How is anyone trying to "legally suppress" your beliefs and opinions?

You should be free to believe, speak and practice your religion as you wish (as long as it precludes victimizing innocent people).

What you shouldn't be free to do is use your religion as a justification to deny other people their rights, freedoms and equality. There is a HUGE difference there.

PRV357

You acknowledge a minority's right to be oppressed through the voting system by the majority in cases of rights which should be equal to all?

How kind.

:sorry1: but; according to our President, America is no longer a Christian nation... in fact; many of the threads on this forum, adamantly argue that we never really were anyway...

so what group are you guys gonna pick for your new "majority" scape goat to blame, for minority oppression?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
:sorry1: but; according to our President, America is no longer a Christian nation... in fact; many of the threads on this forum, adamantly argue that we never really were anyway...

so what group are you guys gonna pick for your new "majority" scape goat to blame, for minority oppression?
It isn't a Christian nation. It's a nation full of Christians.

The fact that you fail to make the distinction is no surprise.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Sorry to disappoint you... perhaps you've never actually taken an extensive tour of our nation's capital?... in addition to other colonial founding cities...

where there's overwhelming abundance of evidence, that directly contradicts what you're asserting here... indeed... it's literally all over the place; in the architecture, monuments & famous paintings, commissioned by the fledgling U.S. government
All the religiously themed architechture you see in Washington was commissioned during the Great Awakening. A time of religious revival following the Age of Enlightenment period of Americas Founding.

gee? wonder WHAT he meant by "endowed by Our Creator"?

amoebas?
or monkeys? or maybe aliens? LOL!

During the Enlightenment, most learned men followed a deistic philosophy.

OOPS! OF COURSE those "documents" would be deemed as more important
than ANY architecture OR paintings OR monuments commissioned by the government...
especially by those who'd rather exchange the "OF" to have Freedom "FROM" Religion
Since the documents reflected the thinking of our most influential founders, yes, I would say they are more important in showing the influences of those founders than later architectural and artistic paintings.

so does his over-edited "Bible" list what choice he made? as to identifying the "Creator"?
The Jefferson Bible was written by Thomas Jefferson to reflect his admiration for the life and teachings of Jesus minus the miracles and "salvation" that he thought distracted from the lessons that could be learned.
I have a copy myself.

:sorry1: to burst your bubble... but this conspicuously biased source of alleged "historical" information has been quite frequently posted by atheists all over the internet... this particular forum is but one of many, so this comes as :no: surprise whatsoever

although it's always kinda sad :( to read how it depicts Thomas Jefferson to be a such 2 faced phony :facepalm: which is WHY the FFR foundation promotes that persona so heavily... to undermine Religion by ANY means they deem necessary
As the son of an American History Professor, and an avid amateur historian myself, I can attest to the basic historicity you find so biased.

:sorry1: BUT the visual evidence (already listed) that WE ALL SAW with our own eyes made it pretty clear... as it's STILL openly displayed & readily available for anyone & everyone to see for themselves... & certainly NOT just in those extensive DC tours either

b.t.w... it's NOT as if I've ever denied the presence of other Religions... that were either already here or brought over by immigration & grown from there... in addition to all those who are unbelievers... since our Freedom OF Religion rights, allow ALL citizens to embrace or even reject whatever beliefs as they choose, okay?

:sorry1: if I honestly DO find it difficult to respect some of these FFR groups, because of their bigoted intolerance of any reference to Christian heritage... as they seem so hell bent upon either trivializing, outright denying, or erasing ANY evidence of it

If you're done ranting, perhaps you could provide some actual evidence of your accusations.

Well?:shrug:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
And I think there's absolutely no question that the Full Faith and Credit clause applies to same-sex marriages, which means that states are constitutionally required to recognize same-sex marriages from other states, and the provisions of DOMA that say they don't have to are unconstitutional.

I've been saying this for years. :yes:

BTW, wasn't DOMA struck down as unconstitutional about two weeks ago? That seems to be the clearest indication of where the constitution lies on this issue.

Ooh! I hope so! I've not heard about it. I live under a rock. :sad4:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
It isn't a Christian nation. It's a nation full of :fork: :human: :jam:

The fact that you fail to make the distinction is
:no: surprise
"The majority of Americans (73%) identify themselves as Christians and about 20% have no religious affiliation."

You were saying?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

:facepalm:

I think it's time to call the waahmbulance. No one is attempting to legally suppress religious opinions. That's a crap cop-out; religious beliefs and opinions cannot be suppressed legally or otherwise. If there are attempts to suppress religious opinions how is it that WBC gets away with their abominable, reprehensible and repugnant actions in the name of religion? Stop insulting our intelligence. :rolleyes:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
:sorry1: but; according to our President, America is no longer a Christian nation...

It never was. It is a nation of Christians, but is is not a Christian nation. Please show me any legal document that states the state religion of the USA is Christianity. Oh that's right... you can't. Rather, I think you should read the Treaty of Tripoli. Here, I'll help and even highlight the pertinent sentence...

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
according to your statistics, what our President was saying is wrong

Obama, June 28, 2006 (as delivered): Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation – at least, not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.

Quote mining is an ugly habit.
Let's get back on topic.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
according to your statistics, what our President was saying is wrong

No. Just because the majority of the population identify as Christians doesn't mean the government is or should be a theocracy. The government is supposed to represent ALL citizens, regardless of faith.

Also, the fact that you're dodging a lot of questions reveals that your stance is untenable. Don't you think it's time to stop and just be honest with yourself?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

I'm unaware of any attempts to legally suppress "religious opinions." Would you mind citing some more specific examples, rather than accusing me of supporting political movements I've never heard of?

Dingbat

I'm unaware of any attempts to legally suppress "religious opinions." Would you mind citing some more specific examples, rather than accusing me of supporting political movements I've never heard of?

It is called the Gay Mafia they do drivebys and make you look fabulous. Truth.