• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homophobia Makes Me Sick!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I hate it when people use "like" for every other word in a sentence. I broke my niece of doing that by calling her a dumb blonde everytime she did that.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Shadow Wolf said:
I hate it when people use "like" for every other word in a sentence. I broke my niece of doing that by calling her a dumb blonde everytime she did that.

really, but like, thats like, really like, cruel :D

A

angellous_evangellous

kevmicsmi said:
If they would stop doing it, i would stop saying it:D

But they can't and they aren't. It's not possible. :verymad:

(EDIT: Jeez, that sure is a wicked smiley, isn't it? )

kev

standing_alone

I agree I hate the word Homophobia. I was labled homophobia earlier for suggesting that someone liked men in tights.
I have friends who are gay and as I dont agree with man on man love I am still friends with them. I am comfetable with my sexuality and regulaly have relations with women. For someone to call me homophobic for 1 comment is silly.

Oooh, this post reminded me of something I really hate. It's when people say they can't be prejudice against a certain group of people because some of their best friends are of that group - it's funny because usually they're the ones who say the most prejudice or ignorant things, but maybe having some friends of that group makes it okay and them not ignorant. So two examples of this:

I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black

I'm not a homophobe, some of my best friends are homosexual.

I hate it because just because your friends are of a certain group doesn't mean you're automatically not prejudice against that group.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Y'all need to learn to love homophobia as much as I have! A good start to learning to love homophobia is to recognize that it solves all of societie's problems, because all of societie's problems can be blamed on just one root problem: homosexuals. Neat, huh? No more worrying about the federal deficit, crime rates, environmental degradation, declining results in public education, the high divorce rate, families in poverty, etc. Those are all problems that are caused by the simple fact that homosexuals are out of the closet. And we can solve 'em all if we just ban gay marriage. I sleep better at nights now that I've come to love homophobia.

d.

_______
standing_alone said:
I hate it because just because your friends are of a certain group doesn't mean you're automatically not prejudice against that group.

not to mention the fact that on the internet, nobody can check whether your friends are gay or not...conveniently, many of the most blatant homophobes on the net has gay friends. which begs the question, how did you get those friends in the first place?

kevmicsmi

standing_alone said:
Oooh, this post reminded me of something I really hate. It's when people say they can't be prejudice against a certain group of people because some of their best friends are of that group - it's funny because usually they're the ones who say the most prejudice or ignorant things, but maybe having some friends of that group makes it okay and them not ignorant. So two examples of this:

I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black

I'm not a homophobe, some of my best friends are homosexual.

Thats a good one standing alone, but , clinically can you be homophobic ie irrational afraid of them, and be friends with them as well? I dont think so. But, i know what you mean

standing_alone

Thats a good one standing alone, but , clinically can you be homophobic ie irrational afraid of them, and be friends with them as well?

I didn't mean the term homophobic as in a fear of homosexuals (maybe I should have used a word like heterosexist), I meant it as being prejudice or ignorant about homosexuals. I think you can be prejudice or ignorant about a group of people, but still communicate with them in their daily life - and apparantly enough to claim they are your friends.

A

angellous_evangellous

kevmicsmi said:
Thats a good one standing alone, but , clinically can you be homophobic ie irrational afraid of them, and be friends with them as well? I dont think so. But, i know what you mean

Homophobia is not resticted to its clinical meaning. One can certainly have friends who are homosexuals and be a homophobe in the poplular sense. For example, arguing against civil rights for homosexuals can be seen as homophobic behavior. Bush argued against the right for homosexuals to adobt while governor, and told homosexual friends not to take it personally. :(

EDIT:
Definitions of homophobia on the Web:

kevmicsmi

standing_alone said:
I didn't mean the term homophobic as in a fear of homosexuals, I meant it as being prejudice or ignorant about homosexuals. I think you can be prejudice or ignorant about a group of people, but still communicate with them in their daily life - and apparantly enough to claim they are your friends.
I agree, But the term homophobe really bothers me for some reason. I think I have a phobia of homophobia. would that make me a homophobeaphobe, or a homophobe^2? Ok im really confused now.......

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
I hate how the term 'liberal' is used like such a dirty word. "OMGZ? YOU A LIBRAAL?!"

What I dislike is how any young adult/child can easily get influenced by such a comment to immediatly associate liberals with so called 'bad' people.

We aren't that bad... too often.

kevmicsmi

Ardhanariswar said:
I hate how the term 'liberal' is used like such a dirty word. "OMGZ? YOU A LIBRAAL?!"

What I dislike is how any young adult/child can easily get influenced by such a comment to immediatly associate liberals with so called 'bad' people.

We aren't that bad... too often.

Stinking liberals:D I actually consider a liberal to be a person with left leaning views, but still in spitting distance of main stream. I would call the Dan Rather a Liberal. I would call Michael Moore a Leftist.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
kevmicsmi said:
...What are some of the phrases/words you hate to hear in discussions?...
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Homophobe, racist, bigot, misogynist, Jesus freak, blindly following your faith, and neo-con. to name a few Most of the time I see people throw these terms around they use them in a condescending and belittling manner. Instead of relying on the facts to sway opinions, they are stooping to name-calling. Not only is it rude on a personal level when people do this but it's an intellectually bankrupt way to debate.

kevmicsmi

CaptainXeroid said:
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Homophobe, racist, bigot, misogynist, Jesus freak, blindly following your faith, and neo-con. to name a few Most of the time I see people throw these terms around they use them in a condescending and belittling manner. Instead of relying on the facts to sway opinions, they are stooping to name-calling. Not only is it rude on a personal level when people do this but it's an intellectually bankrupt way to debate.

OOOOOOOOOh you brought up a good one, neo-con. I dont even think most people who use the word know what it is supposed to connotate.