• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homophobia Makes Me Sick!

kevmicsmi

The word that is! I dont want this to become a hatefest, But I HATE the term "homophobic"! Why if someone thinks homosexuality is a sin do they have a clinical phsycosis?
Just because I dont want to see Brokeback Mountain because it doesnt appeal to my intersts, doesnt mean I am scared of homosexuality!I feel it is a word without a purpose. If i am for stripping rights from gays and lesbians, I am a Bigot! It almost seems like the word homophobe hurts the gay agenda because People get labeled this for the silliest reasons, so when real injustice is present, some folks wont listen!

What are some of the phrases/words you hate to hear in discussions?

Please dont tell me Im wrong for hating that term, just give me some that are like hearing a rusty nail on a chalkboard to you!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
The whole "bigot" deal doesn't go over well with me either.

I admit that I'm super conservative on many issues but I'm not a right wing conservative. I hate being labeled as a ring winger.

kevmicsmi

dawny0826 said:
The whole "bigot" deal doesn't go over well with me either.

I admit that I'm super conservative on many issues but I'm not a right wing conservative. I hate being labeled as a ring winger.

agreed!

robtex

Veteran Member
kevmicsmi said:
The word that is! I dont want this to become a hatefest, But I HATE the term "homophobic"! Why if someone thinks homosexuality is a sin do they have a clinical phsycosis?

Phobia is an unrational fear that exists with a large shift in emotion. Most of the arguements against the orientation of homosexuality are derived from books centuries old and completely devoid of information on the areas of genetics and biology, which to someone with an ernest interest in education, would seem the reasonable fields to examine homosexuality with. Qouting the book of Matthew or any other scipture in the Bible or the Koran for that matter, as an reason for a political or ethical evaluation of sexual orientation makes about as much sense as qouting from a honda accord service manual or book on middle eastern cooking. It is a non-sequitur.

Having said that understand most if not all protest against homosexuality come from such books which again, have no relevance, signifgance or useful insight on the matters of organic science or sexual behavior it seems natural to look to the reasons why one would be against homosexuality while qouting from books with no useful or relevant information about it. Ad far as the term homophobia when I read a anti-homosexual pitch and the only information, which is almost always the case, is a holy book I recongize that at least in the context of the pitch they have no information on human sexuality and thus phobia, though it may be more appropriate xeno-homophobia may be applicable depending on the emotional content of the infromation provided.

If you are unaware there are some that are proponets of the legal use of homophobia but don't use that phrase. Instead it is called the "gay panic defense" where they feel they could become emotionally overwhelmed in the presense of a homosexual lash out of them in fear of them (aka a phobia) and be legally exonerated do to their fear. That one is pretty recent and the legalities are still under examination but I bring it up to you because even some legal defendants have suggested they are homophobic in a court of law. Here are two links on that:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/1999/11/02/shepard/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

kevmicsmi

Robtex, just because there are cases of actuall homophobia in the clinical sense only proves my point that it is way overused.Many times It is used as a dismissive term by "tolerant" people who are intollerant of supposed "intollerant" people.

robtex

Veteran Member
kevmicsmi said:
back on topic though, Robtex, what is a discussion phrase or buzzword you hate and why?

Kevin, I am not much a qoute collector but more of a context analyzer. If I can't find merit in a qoute due to context I tend to admittly glaze over it. The affect of my doing that though is a high tolerance of buzzword due to apathy when inadequate supportive information is provided. Maybe in that repect I would be inclinded towards the same apathy if I saw a one sentence retort or "counter-arguement" with the word homophobia in it.

As far as stereotypical views of and their relation to buzzwords I see that as a "information filler" and filter expounding on position even when a motive or validation is not in accompaniment. I think as a species, were are inclinded to be evaluative and look for patterns which makes sterotyping a by-product of our biological disposition. Though that may be a sterotype inandofitself. But because of my inclination to view sterotyping in this manner I would confess that if nothing esle I see buzzwords as a propogation of our pattern searching tendancies and an insight as to the posters frame of mind even if, in the absense of evaluative supporting propositions, on topics as opposed to a nusiance or literary inconvience.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
the term "gay agenda" annoys the hell out of me when people casually use it in a discussion, or when they fire it at you in a debate. it annoys me because i do not know what they are refering to! :149:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
kevmicsmi said:
Robtex, just because there are cases of actuall homophobia in the clinical sense only proves my point that it is way overused.Many times It is used as a dismissive term by "tolerant" people who are intollerant of supposed "intollerant" people.

i understand what you say about the words "homophobic", "bigot" and "intolerant" being thrown endlessly around any homosexual debate thread, but have you conciderd the posibility that these super-loud homosexuals are not intolerant, just frustrated?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Mike182 said:
the term "gay agenda" annoys the hell out of me when people casually use it in a discussion, or when they fire it at you in a debate. it annoys me because i do not know what they are refering to! :149:
Debates are all about who's better at insulting the other person and their POV Mike. You're such a nice guy that ya just need to ignore that sort of stuff. Most people are stupid, the stupider people are the ones who like to talk politics and the ignoramuses are the ones who get elected....

Live your life guys... don't let what other people say and do effect ya like this.

w00t

It is sad that anyone's sexuality should be cause for debate. In my opinion being homosexual is as normal as being left-handed. There is something very wrong with any religion that condemns someone just because they happen to be gay!

kevmicsmi

Mike182 said:
i understand what you say about the words "homophobic", "bigot" and "intolerant" being thrown endlessly around any homosexual debate thread, but have you conciderd the posibility that these super-loud homosexuals are not intolerant, just frustrated?

No generally you are probably right, I just like to see if I can used tollerant 3 times in a sentence:D

To suggest that someone is a lesser person as they bat for the other team (to coin a phrase commonly bound about) does strike as ridiculous.

I am sure many religions allow people with other lifestyle choices in - clearly some have a strict door policy based on outdated values

kevmicsmi

rogue_believer said:
To suggest that someone is a lesser person as they bat for the other team (to coin a phrase commonly bound about) does strike as ridiculous.

I am sure many religions allow people with other lifestyle choices in - clearly some have a strict door policy based on outdated values

But this isnt what the thread is about. TO EVERYONE WHO READ THE OP......SEE WHAT I MEAN:banghead3 :bonk: :149:

Jesus4Ever

kevmicsmi said:
!
I agree I hate the word Homophobia. I was labled homophobia earlier for suggesting that someone liked men in tights.
I have friends who are gay and as I dont agree with man on man love I am still friends with them. I am comfetable with my sexuality and regulaly have relations with women. For someone to call me homophobic for 1 comment is silly.

I bracket the buzzword homophobe and racist in the same bracket. Thrown around like a dwarf in Australia and hence lost its point.

I am genuinely left handed and I am glad I was born where I was and when I was or you lot would not have the benefit of my wisdom.

Or at best I would be typing one handed.

kevmicsmi said:
But this isnt what the thread is about. TO EVERYONE WHO READ THE OP......SEE WHAT I MEAN:banghead3 :bonk: :149:

Ref post #11

Calm down flower.

Many words get banded about in society today used in and out of context as is is society that dictates how we use speech in our common world.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I dislike euphemisms, because they tend to distort the truth. I especially dislike the euphemisms that arise from the politically-correct police.

d.

_______
hm, i actually like 'homophobia' - hits the proverbial nail on the head, i reckon.

maybe there's a reason you hear it a lot?