• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homophobia Makes Me Sick!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Or how about these? -

"I'm not homophobic. I even know quite a few gays and lesbians, and I think they're really cool. You wouldn't even KNOW they were gay because they don't ACT like it."

"I'm not racist. One of my family members is even married to a black man. He's a NICE black man, you know."

:sarcastic

Peace,
Mystic

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:
Do you think I'm a sinner because I'm human, or because I'm gay?

I think the act of homosexual intercorse is a sin, but that makes you no worse a sinner than anyone else, in my view all sins are the same in Gods eyes. Your homosexuality is no worse to God than when I get drunk, or do not treat my wife right, or when I had premarital sex in the day, or when i have bad thoughts, or lose my temper, etc, etc, etc

kevmicsmi

MysticSang'ha said:
Or how about these? -

"I'm not racist. One of my family members is even married to a black man. He's a NICE black man, you know."

:sarcastic

Peace,
Mystic

I have heard alot of these type of comments before too, i agree

Smoke

Done here.
kevmicsmi said:
I think the act of homosexual intercorse is a sin,
Then I think you're a homophobe.

I'm not supposed to say that, I know. I'm supposed to be all tolerant of your irrational beliefs about homosexuality. But why?

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:

I'm not supposed to say that, I know. I'm supposed to be all tolerant of your irrational beliefs about homosexuality. But why?

I assume you are liberal. If you are, do you condone and support me sending money to James Dobsons Focus on the Family? Or would that action be against your moral code?

Smoke

Done here.
kevmicsmi said:
I assume you are liberal. If you are, do you condone and support me sending money to James Dobsons Focus on the Family? Or would that action be against your moral code?
Focus on the Family, Aryan Nation, the Klan, whatever hate group you want to support, I believe you should have the legal right to support them, but no, I don't believe it's morally acceptable to support them.

So what's the difference between your moral code and mine? My moral code condemns people for harming other people; yours condemns people who don't conform to arbitrary, irrational and superstitious rules.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
kev, you using your standards, your beliefs to judge others, to say what is right and wrong. It might be wrong for YOU to be gay, but by making a blanket statement,.. God created ALL men/women and to say what God created was aor is wrong is 2nd guessing God himself.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
MidnightBlue said:

So, any person who views homosexuality as a sin from a religious perspective is a homophobe?

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:
Focus on the Family, Aryan Nation, the Klan, whatever hate group you want to support, I believe you should have the legal right to support them, but no, I don't believe it's morally acceptable to support them.

So what's the difference between your moral code and mine? My moral code condemns people for harming other people; yours condemns people who don't conform to arbitrary, irrational and superstitious rules.

I actually dont support FoF. I am sure there are things I do that are against your moral code though. That being the case, should I therefore come up with a clinical term that conotates you are simply not rational because you dont agree with my views? I think not. What makes you think that because I feel same gender sex is a sin, I have an irrational fear of homosexuals? Now if we were sitting at a bar for instance, and once I found out you were gay, I moved away, or I changed my attitude toward you, you might be able to argue I could be bigoted. Aside from that, I contend it is extremely condescending to blow me off as clinically deranged.

kevmicsmi

jeffrey said:
kev, you using your standards, your beliefs to judge others, to say what is right and wrong. It might be wrong for YOU to be gay, but by making a blanket statement,.. God created ALL men/women and to say what God created was aor is wrong is 2nd guessing God himself.

I dont believe so Jeffrey. I believe after sin entered the world, everybody has propensities to different sins. I might have been born with a temper, etc. Thats not Gods fault, its generations of sin piling up on each other. I dont believe anyone was created "wrong".

Smoke

Done here.
dawny0826 said:
So, any person who views homosexuality as a sin from a religious perspective is a homophobe?
I think so. Because that's just a cop-out, really. The same people who make such a point of homosexuality being a sin have no problem when their friend from church, who has been divorced three times, gets married in the church, they have no problem with their Christian president starting wars, basically, they pick and choose what's a sin, and then use the Bible as their excuse.

You never hear anybody say, "The Bible says we shouldn't wear gold, and people shouldn't be allowed to marry if they're going to exchange gold bands. But I have friends who wear gold wedding rings, and I'm still friends with them even though I don't approve of their lifestyle."

But aside from the blatant hypocrisy, what's the big deal about "a religious perspective," anyway? Nobody is forced to belong to a particular religion. People choose their own religions. Even if you belong to the religion you were brought up in, you choose to stay. "That's my religious belief" is just another way of saying, "That's my opinion, for which I have no rational evidence." Why do people think they should get a free pass because it's religious?

My grandfather thought Mexicans were stupid, lazy, dirty and violent. That was his sincere belief. Everybody knew he was a bigot. But if his church taught those kinds of things, would it have been different? Would that have given him a legitimate excuse for his beliefs? Why?

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:
I think so. Because that's just a cop-out, really. The same people who make such a point of homosexuality being a sin have no problem when their friend from church, who has been divorced three times, gets married in the church, they have no problem with their Christian president starting wars, basically, they pick and choose what's a sin, and then use the Bible as their excuse.

You never hear anybody say, "The Bible says we shouldn't wear gold, and people shouldn't be allowed to marry if they're going to exchange gold bands. But I have friends who wear gold wedding rings, and I'm still friends with them even though I don't approve of their lifestyle."

But aside from the blatant hypocrisy, what's the big deal about "a religious perspective," anyway? Nobody is forced to belong to a particular religion. People choose their own religions. Even if you belong to the religion you were brought up in, you choose to stay. "That's my religious belief" is just another way of saying, "That's my opinion, for which I have no rational evidence." Why do people think they should get a free pass because it's religious?

My grandfather thought Mexicans were stupid, lazy, dirty and violent. That was his sincere belief. Everybody knew he was a bigot. But if his church taught those kinds of things, would it have been different? Would that have given him a legitimate excuse for his beliefs? Why?

You are mixing law set up in the OT just for the Isrealites, with NT law. But whoever said divorce is not a sin? Im sorry, I have never said I would only vote for a perfect President, although certain wars are just.

Smoke

Done here.
kevmicsmi said:
What makes you think that because I feel same gender sex is a sin, I have an irrational fear of homosexuals?
The suffix "-phobia" denotes loathing as well as fear.

If you think same-sex relationships are sinful by nature, then you have irrational negative feelings about homosexuals. You might not want to call it fear, and you might not want to call it loathing, but it really doesn't matter what you call it; it's still bigotry.

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:
The suffix "-phobia" denotes loathing as well as fear.

If you think same-sex relationships are sinful by nature, then you have irrational negative feelings about homosexuals. You might not want to call it fear, and you might not want to call it loathing, but it really doesn't matter what you call it; it's still bigotry.

Why dont you respond to my whole post? It seems to me you are being awfully judgemental to anyone who disagrees with you on anything.

Smoke

Done here.
kevmicsmi said:
Why dont you respond to my whole post?
The rest of your post was just an attempt to mitigate what I saw as the central point: that you can be prejudiced against homosexuals without being a bigot.

kevmicsmi said:
It seems to me you are being awfully judgemental to anyone who disagrees with you on anything.
Yeah. For instance, it seems to you that "it is extremely condescending to blow me off as clinically deranged." But I never did that at all, did I? I didn't blow you off, and I certainly never said you were clinically deranged.

And of course, what I said doesn't apply to anyone who disagrees with me about anything; it applies to people who have irrational, negative feelings about homosexuality.

kevmicsmi

MidnightBlue said:
The rest of your post was just an attempt to mitigate what I saw as the central point: that you can be prejudiced against homosexuals without being a bigot.

No, you saw the rest of my post as exposing that just because your moral compass would not approve of certain things I do, I dont create dismissive terms that connotate you have a clinical problem.
Yeah. For instance, it seems to you that "it is extremely condescending to blow me off as clinically deranged." But I never did that at all, did I? I didn't blow you off, and I certainly never said you were clinically deranged.

Calling me a homophobe does just that

Smoke

Done here.
kevmicsmi said:
No, you saw the rest of my post as exposing that just because your moral compass would not approve of certain things I do, I dont create dismissive terms that connotate you have a clinical problem.

Calling me a homophobe does just that
I don't believe fear and contempt for certain groups of people is necessarily a clinical problem. It's more of a moral problem. And you can certainly have irrational opinions without being deranged.