• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Homeopathy is bunk!

Panda

42?
Premium Member
But what I'm getting at is that because THC is an umbrella term for several isomers, when TurkeyOnRye says that Marinol (one isomer of THC) isn't as effective as the THC in marijuana (a mixture of several isomers), it's entirely possible that he's correct, because different isomers can react in different ways.

I agree but they did't say they are the same, people just seem to think because they come under the same umbrella term they are the same.

Yeah, it bugs me when people interpret "natural" as "necessarily better", but what I was getting at is that oftentimes, a synthetic version of some substance isn't actually identical to the natural version. Sometimes, when a synthetic and a natural version of some substance are called "the same", it really only means something like "members of the same class of chemicals" or "functionally equivalent for the intended purpose".

True but that is more a marketing ploy playing on people lack of knowledge.

anant

I have not read the posts here. I have been one of those who got cured from homeopathy. To start with being a rationalist I never trusted homeopathy. My case is an interesting one the reason for this is that I have never met my doctor personally. I have only been speaking to him over phone and buying medicines from the local homeopath store.

This is my story:

I had an attack of Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 24 years old. I started consulting allopathic doctors and this lasted for nearly 8 months. The pain started from my knee joint and spread to all my joints and made me completely immobile. Within this span of 8 months I consulted 3 set of expert allopathic doctors (internal medicine, neurologist etc.) from the best hospitals in India with my condition deteriorating continuously. I had lost nearly 25 Kgs of weight 44kgs (5'10''), at one point of time I was consuming 30 tablets a day including very strong painkillers and steroids. During my last consultation with allopathic doctor I was adviced to move to some cancer medicines (nearly after 8 months of allopathic care). I had a feeling that this was going no where since the swelling and pain had now reached my ribs.

This is when my uncle suggested an Homeopathic doctor who had helped his brother get rid of a blood clot in brain. His brother had a clot and was in ICU. The MRI had shown that there was a big clot. The homeopath advised arsenic iod 1M which was administered to the patient inside ICU. Another MRI was done next morning before operation, and to everybody's surprise there was no clot. When I heard this story I had my own doubts and did not believe it to be true.

In my case I consulted the homeopath on telephone. I had extreme pain and needed support for even going for nature calls and hence I could not visit him (we were in different cities nearly 1500 KM apart).

On my first call he said that I had an attack of Rheumatoid Arthritis and he informed me that I must be having mild fever nearly 99.3 (a fact no allopathic doctor paid attention to and I never realized). He also asked me if I had stools of black color when this problem started and I said yes, since I had a stool sample tested when it began. He prescribed me some medicines and I asked him to give me the signs of improval. He said within 4 days the swelling on your middle finger will reduce and your temperature will become normal. He also asked me to discontinue allopathic medicine to which I disagreed and told him that I will only do this once I see progress from homeopathic treatment.

To my surprise my fever was gone and swelling on my middle finger reduced in four days. It was the first time that I had seen any improvement in my condition. This is when I stopped all allopathic medicines except pain-killers since I was in deep pain and homeopathy does not have a good alternative to pain-killers.

I stopped taking pain-killers after two months and it took my body nearly 2 years to fully recover.

I had another attack of arthritis after 4 years and this time I went straight to homeopathy. I got cured in two moths. The pain was only limited to my both knee joints and jaw joint.

I do not know if homeopathy has an empirical proof and I do not care if it is placebo (why did the allopathic medicine not work as placebo, with my full faith on them). It has brought me back to life from certain death.

anant

Mestemia: I had two medicines for around 1 year

Kalium Muriaticum 3x
Ferrum Phosphoricum 6x

Along with these medicines I was prescribed a variety of other medicines at an interval of 15 days. Instead of giving me pills he would ask me to take doses (2 to 3 drops) of various homeopathic liquids. Some of them I do remember, not necessarily in the order in which they were prescribed:

a) Arseinc Alb.
b) Thuja
c) Mag Phos
d) Rhus tox
e) Arsenic Iod

ldo not remember the rest.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm going to take a small hiatus from my usual practice of going around the ring with religionists to take on a more secular box of hooey, in my opinion, homeopathy. IMO homeopathy is quakery, bunkum, at best harmless and at worst dangerous.
Anyone interested in defending it?
I will.
Its practice is defended under the First Amendment

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did not realize that fraud is considered protected speech.
If by "fraud" you mean religion, then it's protected under the 1st Amendment.
You wacky Canuckistanians just don't know our Constitution.
(But then, neither do most Americans.)

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If by "fraud" you mean religion, then it's protected under the 1st Amendment.
You wacky Canuckistanians just don't know our Constitution.
(But then, neither do most Americans.)
No, I mean homeopathy: selling water to someone and calling it medicine. Financial gain from the misrepresentation of a product being sold.

Marble

Rolling Marble
My mother always tries to cure every influenza of hers with self-prescribed homeopathical pills or tinctures.
She also uses Bach flower extracts and Aura Soma.
I wished I could get her to see a doctor, but she doesn't trust doctors. :shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
He said within 4 days the swelling on your middle finger will reduce and your temperature will become normal. He also asked me to discontinue allopathic medicine to which I disagreed and told him that I will only do this once I see progress from homeopathic treatment.

To my surprise my fever was gone and swelling on my middle finger reduced in four days. It was the first time that I had seen any improvement in my condition. This is when I stopped all allopathic medicines except pain-killers since I was in deep pain and homeopathy does not have a good alternative to pain-killers.
Wait... let me get this straight:

During this period, you were receiving homeopathic treatment, treatment from your real doctor, and your body's natural healing mechanisms were at work. When you have three things (at least) that could be potential reasons for why your your fever and swelling went away. Why assume that it was necessarily the homeopathy that helped you, and your recovery didn't have anything to do with the other factors?

I had another attack of arthritis after 4 years and this time I went straight to homeopathy. I got cured in two moths. The pain was only limited to my both knee joints and jaw joint.
You "got cured" in two months? In your experience, how long does it take for an arthritis attack to subside on its own?

I do not know if homeopathy has an empirical proof and I do not care if it is placebo (why did the allopathic medicine not work as placebo, with my full faith on them). It has brought me back to life from certain death.
How do you know the "allopathic" medicine didn't work?

anant

Wait... let me get this straight:

During this period, you were receiving homeopathic treatment, treatment from your real doctor, and your body's natural healing mechanisms were at work. When you have three things (at least) that could be potential reasons for why your your fever and swelling went away. Why assume that it was necessarily the homeopathy that helped you, and your recovery didn't have anything to do with the other factors?

You "got cured" in two months? In your experience, how long does it take for an arthritis attack to subside on its own?

How do you know the "allopathic" medicine didn't work?

I was taking allopathic since 8 months before I moved to homeopathic medicine and I guess my healing process was always there to help me along with allopathic. I did not have any reason to believe that allopathic helped me when my condition continuously deteriorated for 8 months when I was consuming those medicines.

The kind of arthritis that I had (rheumatoid arthritis) does not subside on its
own. In some cases it is fatal and is some the patient is bedridden for life with major deformation of limbs.

Other forms of arthritis (osteo-arthritis etc.) generally associated with age are a little different, some of them are something you have to live with.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Everyone is aware that there often isn't any of the so-called "active ingredient" left in significantly distilled homeopathic "remedies" at all, right?

And that you have to reject basically everything known about chemistry in order to assert that homeopathic "remedies" do anything because of this, right?

Robert L. Park said:
...since the least amount of a substance in a solution is one molecule, a 30C solution would have to have at least one molecule of the original substance dissolved in a minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 [or 1060] molecules of water. This would require a container more than 30,000,000,000 times the size of the Earth.

Robert L. Park said:
...to expect to get even one molecule of the 'medicinal' substance allegedly present in 30X pills, it would be necessary to take some two billion of them, which would total about a thousand tons of lactose plus whatever impurities the lactose contained.

Homeopathic "remedies" are nothing but water. This is because it was invented before the chemical effects of dilution were understood. To make up for this, modern homeopathic quacks assert that everything we know about chemistry is actually wrong and that water has a magical "memory" that "remembers" the active ingredient that's already long gone by that point of dilution.

Anyone who believes that nonsense has worse problems than anything they'd be taking homeopathic bunk for.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was taking allopathic since 8 months before I moved to homeopathic medicine and I guess my healing process was always there to help me along with allopathic. I did not have any reason to believe that allopathic helped me when my condition continuously deteriorated for 8 months when I was consuming those medicines.
Was your conventional doctor varying your treatments at all over this time? Sometimes one medication/dosage/approach doesn't work but another does. He or she didn't keep your treatment exactly the same over that whole 8 months, right?

The kind of arthritis that I had (rheumatoid arthritis) does not subside on its
own. In some cases it is fatal and is some the patient is bedridden for life with major deformation of limbs.

Other forms of arthritis (osteo-arthritis etc.) generally associated with age are a little different, some of them are something you have to live with.
But you called it "another attack". This implies that there was at least one previous attack, and that your symptoms had subsided at least somewhat between one attack and the next, right?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Homeopathic "remedies" are nothing but water. This is because it was invented before the chemical effects of dilution were understood. To make up for this, modern homeopathic quacks assert that everything we know about chemistry is actually wrong and that water has a magical "memory" that "remembers" the active ingredient that's already long gone by that point of dilution.
Not only that, but the water only "remembers" the things that are put in it deliberately and not trace impurities in the water or that leach out of the container, etc.

Even if we assume that water has "memory", the active ingredient in every homeopathic preparation should be whatever they clean the containers with - and ironically, since potency is supposed to go up as concentration goes down, the more they try to get rid of those cleaning agents, the greater the effect any trace remnants would have on the final product.

... if homeopathy was valid, of course.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone is aware that there often isn't any of the so-called "active ingredient" left in significantly distilled homeopathic "remedies" at all, right?

And that you have to reject basically everything known about chemistry in order to assert that homeopathic "remedies" do anything because of this, right?

Robert L. Park said:
...since the least amount of a substance in a solution is one molecule, a 30C solution would have to have at least one molecule of the original substance dissolved in a minimum of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 [or 1060] molecules of water. This would require a container more than 30,000,000,000 times the size of the Earth.
Well, it works! Time to pay a visit to the Jupiter springs. :p

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Not only that, but the water only "remembers" the things that are put in it deliberately and not trace impurities in the water or that leach out of the container, etc.

Even if we assume that water has "memory", the active ingredient in every homeopathic preparation should be whatever they clean the containers with - and ironically, since potency is supposed to go up as concentration goes down, the more they try to get rid of those cleaning agents, the greater the effect any trace remnants would have on the final product.

... if homeopathy was valid, of course.

That's a good point. It's a good bet that most water has been involved with sewage at some point.

If that's true, and homeopathy is somehow magically correct that water has a magical special "memory," then... ew.

anant

Was your conventional doctor varying your treatments at all over this time? Sometimes one medication/dosage/approach doesn't work but another does. He or she didn't keep your treatment exactly the same over that whole 8 months, right?

But you called it "another attack". This implies that there was at least one previous attack, and that your symptoms had subsided at least somewhat between one attack and the next, right?

Yes my treatment varied in those 8 months. The doctors prescribed various medicines with varying doses including steroids and cancer medicines. When I started taking homeopathy, I have been taking steroids since a month. If you do a little careful study (Google) of auto-immune diseases you will find that in most case the allpopathic medicines do not have a cure. Not just this but multiple factors makes me believe that it was homeopathic medicine:

a) Observation of the homeopatic doctor about mild fever that I have been carrying.
b) Color of my stools when I was attacked with the disease.
c) His accurate prediction bout my recovery and pin-pointing that the swelling in my middle finger will reduce in 4 days. (I had swelling and sever pain in all my joints)
d) After 4 days I stopped taking all allopathic medicines (except painkillers) and I recovered completely.

I had two attacks:
The first one was when I was 24 years of age and this is where I took allopathic medicine for 8 months and then moved to homeopathy.
Recovery took nearly 4 months and for my body to gain strength (to run) two years.

The second attack was after 5 years and I directly went to homeopathy
medicine and got cured in two months.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes my treatment varied in those 8 months. The doctors prescribed various medicines with varying doses including steroids and cancer medicines. When I started taking homeopathy, I have been taking steroids since a month.
This raises a flag for me. I've been on (am on right now, actually) steroids for my asthma. At least in my case, I was told by the doctors that the steroids would take time to work; that I wouldn't notice any improvement until I had been on them for a while. Did your doctor tell you something similar?

So what it turns out actually happened is that after months of trying other treatments, in a fairly short span of time, you started a new form of treatment AND started homeopathy. IOW, you were trying two new treatments at the same time, yet you assume that when you got better, it was because of one and had nothing to do with the other.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

All *pathy* works and so they are there.
All *pathys* require proper diagnosis and prescriptions which depends on the expert.
Experts too have limitations but that does not negate the *pathy*.

Love & rgds