• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home-grown or convert?

When did you become a liberal?

• I have pretty much always been a liberal.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I became a liberal later in life.

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • I'm not a liberal.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I really wasn't raised into politics, but I was raised to have conservative values. But sometime after I ditched Christianity, I began to acquire more liberal views on life.

KatNotKathy

My parents have always been pretty liberal, but I was an uptight ********* pseudo-libertarian racist until I actually started paying attention to the world outside my own head. Now I make my parents look like fascists.

ZooGirl02

Well, I grew up Southern Baptist and so I was pretty much a conservative until later in life when I chose to become more liberal.

Smoke

Done here.
My family was staunchly Republican on both sides. My mother's older sister became a Democrat in the 1960s, my mother's uncle was a Democrat, and my grandmother steadfastly refused to say whom she voted for. But by and large, the Republican Party was identified with all that was patriotic and all that was good and right about America. People talked about my aunt as if she were insane, and my grandfather used to say "they oughta take all the Democrats out behind the barn and shoot 'em." (He must have been thinking of a big barn.) You didn't question the war, but it was agreed that Nixon would handle it better than Johnson, and those Nixon girls were nice, respectable girls, not running around with movie stars like the Johnson girls. I remember my Uncle Zack saying that "Nixon might have been a crook, but he was my kind of crook."

All that crap was drilled into me early. I was born and bred Republican. I remember running through my Aunt Nellie's yard in 1964 with my stuffed bunny in my hand yelling "Goldwater for President!" By the time I was twenty, though, I had joined the Libertarian Party, and within a couple years I was out of there and farther to the left. I probably wasn't a full-fledged liberal till I was in my late twenties, but since then I've been getting progressively more and more liberal. Now I'm so liberal that nobody I like seems to have a chance of being elected to major office.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, asking this of an Australian is a bit tricky because the conservative party is actually called Liberal Party.
But I am a liberal person who does not like the Liberal Party because it is so conservative :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hmm, asking this of an Australian is a bit tricky because the conservative party is actually called Liberal Party.
But I am a liberal person who does not like the Liberal Party because it is so conservative :D

Odd. Why would they go with such a misleading name?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

My family was staunchly Republican on both sides. My mother's older sister became a Democrat in the 1960s, my mother's uncle was a Democrat, and my grandmother steadfastly refused to say whom she voted for. But by and large, the Republican Party was identified with all that was patriotic and all that was good and right about America. People talked about my aunt as if she were insane, and my grandfather used to say "they oughta take all the Democrats out behind the barn and shoot 'em." (He must have been thinking of a big barn.) You didn't question the war, but it was agreed that Nixon would handle it better than Johnson, and those Nixon girls were nice, respectable girls, not running around with movie stars like the Johnson girls. I remember my Uncle Zack saying that "Nixon might have been a crook, but he was my kind of crook."

All that crap was drilled into me early. I was born and bred Republican. I remember running through my Aunt Nellie's yard in 1964 with my stuffed bunny in my hand yelling "Goldwater for President!" By the time I was twenty, though, I had joined the Libertarian Party, and within a couple years I was out of there and farther to the left. I probably wasn't a full-fledged liberal till I was in my late twenties, but since then I've been getting progressively more and more liberal. Now I'm so liberal that nobody I like seems to have a chance of being elected to major office.

Yep, that sounds like 20th-century conservatives. Glad you got to taste some fresh air.

RedNeill

Politically Charged
Im 22 & ever since I became aware of politics etc at around 15 I have been Liberal, although like other members I tend to lean further to the left the older I get. Im always rather un-ammused at how close to the centre our "Liberal" parties have got in the UK though, which leaves my full support behind the Lib Dems unfortunately they are not likely to get sole power for a long time I reckon.

poseur

Well, my mom was a major Clinton fan and I followed until late in high school when I realized that Clinton was a right wing neo-facist (and his wife is even more of one). I could probably be described as statist until close to adulthood. I was pro-life, anti-gay, and pro-religious indoctrination. But I was an environmentalist and a liberal in most of the economic issues I understood.

Once I started moving left socially Free Speech TV and Amy Goodman were the main forces behind my shift to the extreme left.

Ordeet

I see the transition to rigid conformism to a liberal mindset as a sign of maturity. People who conform are usually not thinkers and their minds are generally uneducated or immature.

I was rather apolitical until I got into college. Then seeing the way that some religious conservatives on my campus acted, I began to move more and more away from that.

Midnight Pete

I have both conservative and liberal values. As fas I know, this is the result of my natural temperament and how I was molded by my parents. I am generally apolitcal.

AuroraWillow

Druid of the Olive
Being liberal is one area where I've retained the "beliefs" I was raised with. I wasn't necessarily raised strong political values, but the values I was taught coincide with liberal ones.

I did, however marry into a fiscally conservative family. Luckily they have the same ideas about social justice as I do.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I get to sneak into your thread & vote cuz I'm a Classical Liberal.
Always have been....even before I knew my taxonomic label.

poseur

Well, by modern standards Daddy Bush would be viewed as too liberal to be a Republican. The Republicans already booted out Chafee and most other New Englanders from their party. And they are gunning for Snowe and Collins who they consider too liberal to represent their party.