• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy crap, Oklahoma!!! Making it legal to lie to patients?!

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
Opinion Piece here on

"As a reproductive rights advocate and a proud mother of two, my blood ran cold as I read about Oklahoma's new abortion legislation (HB 2656). The state of Oklahoma just decided, and by an appallingly high margin I might add, that a doctor is protected from being sued if he or she chooses not to tell a woman that the baby she is carrying has a birth defect.

State legislators made this decision Tuesday, voting 36-12 in the Senate and 84-12 in the House to override Gov. Brad Henry's veto of this law. (The Legislature also overrode the governor's veto of a second egregious law, HB 2780, which forces women to view an ultrasound before having an abortion.)"

I honestly can't believe this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Opinion Piece here on

"As a reproductive rights advocate and a proud mother of two, my blood ran cold as I read about Oklahoma's new abortion legislation (HB 2656). The state of Oklahoma just decided, and by an appallingly high margin I might add, that a doctor is protected from being sued if he or she chooses not to tell a woman that the baby she is carrying has a birth defect.

State legislators made this decision Tuesday, voting 36-12 in the Senate and 84-12 in the House to override Gov. Brad Henry's veto of this law. (The Legislature also overrode the governor's veto of a second egregious law, HB 2780, which forces women to view an ultrasound before having an abortion.)"

I honestly can't believe this.
This is a surprise. There will be some rancor over it.
The tort aspect will not be so simple as to be waived by a state law.
Unanticipated consequences.....the bane of legislators.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I guess it's a good thing OK isn't an excessively large state. Can we say "road trip"?

How much you wanna bet that we'll eventually see OK boasting a steep decline in abortion numbers? And how much you wanna bet you'll see a rise in the neighboring states?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
What kind of ramifications will this law have in general? Will women visiting their obstetricians be able to fully trust the information that's given to them? Will they be able to walk away after a routine ultrasound with complete peace of mind? No.

That lawmakers would go this far to chip away at a woman's reproductive rights is appalling.

I don't care if someone is pro-choice or not ~ you just can't justify a law that encourages physicians to lie to their patients.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What kind of ramifications will this law have in general? Will women visiting their obstetricians be able to fully trust the information that's given to them? Will they be able to walk away after a routine ultrasound with complete peace of mind? No.

That lawmakers would go this far to chip away at a woman's reproductive rights is appalling.

I don't care if someone is pro-choice or not ~ you just can't justify a law that encourages physicians to lie to their patients.
You'd be surprised what people can justify.
Obviously, you've never been a landlord.
It is a window into people's souls.
The view is terrible at times.

Some day......ask me about some of the more interesting people who've worked for & rented from me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ethical behavior and common decency are not compatible with conservative Christianity.

A few years ago, I would have thoughtlessly and reflexively disagreed with you, but since then I have seen conservative Christianity time and again advocate unethical and indecent behavior. I don't know why they are so often wrong, but they are.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You'd be surprised what people can justify.
Obviously, you've never been a landlord.
It is a window into people's souls.
The view is terrible at times.

Some day......ask me about some of the more interesting people who've worked for & rented from me.

I certainly hope you are not like most landlords I've come across. You know, the ones who won't fix crap. Hole in your roof? Leaking into your livingroom and causing damage to your belongings? Oh well. Rent with appliances...can cook things in your freezer? Oh well. Range leaking gas and have to shut it off at the valve behind it when not in use? Make do. Roof falling in over back porch? Well, just don't stand there then.

I've had some awful experiences with landlords too. Just shows the type of people they are as well. some couldn't care less if you choke to death from a gas leak or the roof caves in on your head...as long as the rent check is in their pocket.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I guess it's a good thing OK isn't an excessively large state. Can we say "road trip"?

How much you wanna bet that we'll eventually see OK boasting a steep decline in abortion numbers? And how much you wanna bet you'll see a rise in the neighboring states?

There are only three or four abortion providers left in Oklahoma. So, it is probably already the case that many or even most women who want abortions go out of state to get them. But this new law might drive women out of state to get prenatal treatment.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't know how you get more stupid than the legislators who voted for those laws. But if anyone can crawl under them, it will be Arizona's legislators.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I certainly hope you are not like most landlords I've come across. You know, the ones who won't fix crap. Hole in your roof? Leaking into your livingroom and causing damage to your belongings? Oh well. Rent with appliances...can cook things in your freezer? Oh well. Range leaking gas and have to shut it off at the valve behind it when not in use? Make do. Roof falling in over back porch? Well, just don't stand there then.

I've had some awful experiences with landlords too. Just shows the type of people they are as well. some couldn't care less if you choke to death from a gas leak or the roof caves in on your head...as long as the rent check is in their pocket.
It has been my experience that stuff gets fixed really quick when landlords do not get their rent checks.
Especially when a court orders it held from them till they get the stuff fixed.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It has been my experience that stuff gets fixed really quick when landlords do not get their rent checks.
Especially when a court orders it held from them till they get the stuff fixed.

I rented a house with range and fridge once. The bit I said about cooking in the freezer and gas leaking were true. I found calling the city on her for the fridge that finally blew to be effective in getting another fridge. When she came to check that the new fridge was delivered she pitched a fit about the old one being hauled away (It was blown beyond repair) because she said she didn't want to pay for the new one and she was just going to have the old one rigged to work so she could return the new one. She also said she was ticked about having the city called on her. I told her that if she had fixed the problem when the fridge was overheating a month ago then I wouldn't have had to break down and call the city. I also said that unless she did something about the stove that leaked gas I'd call the city again. A couple days later we had a new range. However the wench was so ****** that she actually had to pay to fix something that she refused to accept our rent check and then turned around and served us with an eviction notice for non-payment of rent. :sarcastic

Smoke

Done here.
Painting with a broad brush are we? :yes:

Sometimes that's the right brush for the job.

Everybody can be decent to the folks close to him. My dear old Christian Granny was as sweet to me as anybody I've ever known. But she also celebrated our pointless wars, admired Christian terrorists, and firmly supported institutionalized intolerance. Nothing would have made her happier than for Eric Rudolph to step out of the woods behind her house. She'd have fed him biscuits and gravy and told him how she wished more young people were just like him.

I'm sure Oklahoma legislators are warm and loving with their grandchildren. But they see it as their Christian duty to encourage doctors to lie to their patients. That's really ****** up, Rick. But we get this kind of thing time and time again from conservative Christians. I'm not even surprised. Are you?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Sometimes that's the right brush for the job.

Everybody can be decent to the folks close to him. My dear old Christian Granny was as sweet to me as anybody I've ever known. But she also celebrated our pointless wars, admired Christian terrorists, and firmly supported institutionalized intolerance. Nothing would have made her happier than for Eric Rudolph to step out of the woods behind her house. She'd have fed him biscuits and gravy and told him how she wished more young people were just like him.

I'm sure Oklahoma legislators are warm and loving with their grandchildren. But they see it as their Christian duty to encourage doctors to lie to their patients. That's really ****** up, Rick. But we get this kind of thing time and time again from conservative Christians. I'm not even surprised. Are you?

What you say is very true of many members of the Christian Right. My point is, not all of us feel that way. Doctors that omit information to their patients should have their license revoked IMHO.

MSizer

MSizer
It almost makes me sick to my stomach. It is a horrific example of just how barbarric humanity is, and how our journey toward moral society still has so far to go IMO.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oklahoma's governor vetoed this bill so it's NOT Oklahoma law.

When the pendulum swings so horrifically in one direction, don't be surprised when it swings back in a horrible direction.

When it's legal to force the premature delivery of a near-term baby, and then, with no anesthesia, pierce the baby's skull and suck it's brains out to intentionally kill it - for no mandated reasons other than the wish of the mother - don't be surprised when you see a knee jerk reaction from those who are appalled.

That being said, it should never be legal to lie to a patient. So though I am opposed to abortion for convenience, I am glad the bill was vetoed.