• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism Book Recommendations

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners by Jack Hawley.....its done in narrative style, in lowdown English with explanations for words not known to westerners....i

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've picked up Autobiography of a Yogi, Swami Yogananda; Eknath Easwaran's Bhagavad Gita (commented and uncommented versions); Eknath's Easwaran's Upanishads; The Parables of Sivananda; A bunch of other translations of the Bhagavad Gita, one by Swami Tapasyananda; Srimad Bhagavatam Canto X; the Ramayana; Ramayana of Tulsidas; Mahabharata; books from Ramana Maharshi; Ramanuja; the biography of Vivekananda; and I can't remember what else. In fact I've been buying books at such an alarming rate that I bought two copies of one, days apart and had to return one. :facepalm: I hope I can read all this in one lifetime.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would rarely enter this type of foray cause I'm a scriptural idiot ... but ... of what use are 1000 books, if you can't comprehend and/or apply the first page of the first book.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would rarely enter this type of foray cause I'm a scriptural idiot ... but ... of what use are 1000 books, if you can't comprehend and/or apply the first page of the first book.

Ah, because some people are like pitbulls, and tenacious; not letting go until they do comprehend. That may take referring to other sources, and having 2 or 3 books open at once, or putting it down and coming back to it later after thinking on it. Other people, however, will give up.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not a question of giving it up at all. Here's the analogy ... I could read 15 textbooks, 25 textbooks, on differential calculus ... it wouldn't help my understanding one iota.

For example, a person who gets angry all the time about whether or not his version of the Gita is the right one ... seems to me he hasn't understood some of the more very basic messages, like detachment, or what ever. So spouting off from memory various verses has done no more for increasing his character than say, going for a long walk in nature every day.

A good scripture is like a lifetime on the planet, and reincarnation, ... you can read it over .. and over ... and over ... each time gaining something new, adding a bit more. So its quality over quantity.

Many teachers simple say "Be still." Nothing more, nothing less. So the wandering mind runs all over the place looking for the right moment or time, or place to be still. There's some irony there, methinks.

Learning how to practise those two words is more than 1000 books.

Wannabe Yogi

For some of us it is just a more healthy activity to read books, then lets say, watching TV. At least those types of books makes you think about God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For some of us it is just a more healthy activity to read books, then lets say, watching TV. At least those types of books makes you think about God.

Very true. I'm not saying don't read. I write for the same reason you state ... healthy, good for the mind ... maybe more.

PJHarmonic

Just to add a couple...

"Living With The Himalayan Masters" by Swami Rama
"Play of Consciousness" by Swami Muktananda
"The Teachings of Ramana Maharshi"
"The Knee of Listening" by Sri Adi Da (Franklin Jones)

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

I would recommend those books
The Supreme Mother Goddess Durga: Amazon.co.uk: Dr. Kishore. B.R.: Books

It's cheap, and a good material for devotees and beginners/intermediary. It may not interest the advanced ones in scriptures, but well, the price worth the curiosity.

I am looking into good and cheap books about general Saiva (siddhanta/pasupata?) and I am also interested to know more about Saktism. Does anyone have good recommendations ?

Aum Namah Shivaya

I have a few Vaishnava sources for anyone interested, absolutely free online, in .epub/.pdf files!

GAUDIYA VAISHNAVISM

* SCS Math, Srila Sridhar Maharaj's books; they've deepened my understandings so much! Try 'Search for Sri Krishna: Reality the Beautiful' and 'Subjective Evolution of Consciousness'

* Tripurari Swami's books are available here. He is very academic and queer-friendly guru and founder of Sri Chaitanya Sangha. You can download his entire 'Bhagavad-gita: Its Feeling and Philosophy' with translation and commentary as well!

* Srila Narayana Maharaja's ebooks in pdf

* ISKCON, Srila Prabhupada Not all his purports are very applicable in today's world, but the commentaries are quite nice, and a very comprehensive site!

vedabase.net

iskcondesiretree has free ebooks too! Try their library for pdf access to Gaudiya Scripture translations and commentaries.

Swami Gaurangapada's book collection, although some are from the other gurus listed above!

Last edited: