• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinduism Book Recommendations

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Im nervous to go to a temple since Im so new to it, but I suppose youre right that it is the best way to learn. I found one that isnt too far from me, so I may go there soon.

Just curious - What happens at temples? Is it a service where a priest talks, or...? Sorry for such amateur questions.

Going to a temple will cut to the chase, so to speak. Many Hindus could care less about scripture. In the west, religions are often scripture based, and often newcomers have generalised that idea to include other faiths. Hinduism has scripture, but it is more action and devotion based. We do ritual, perform selfless service, work on ourselves to be harmonious with family, and much more. How important scripture is varies from person to person.

Temples vary too. In North Indian style temples, often a pundit will give a speech in the language that the temple founders are. It could be Hindu for Gujarati for example. It could also be English, but that is rare. In South Indian style temples, no speaker will talk. It will just be ritual, with the implicit assumption that everyone who comes will know what's going on.

If you are in my city, I would gladly guide you to several temples here, so you could have a first hand 'feel' for it. Good chance if you feel quite uncomfortable at a Hindu temple, than it may not be for you. Nobody is going to try to convince you of anything. You're on your own.

The primary purpose of a temple is that it is God's home. The priest's main concern is to beckon God and get His?Her presence there, so the devotees in attendance can receive the blessings, supplicate with prayer, and otherwise commune with God. There is no intermediary priest. it's just you and God, in a direct call.

stillwood

I guess youre right, I do tend to think other religions are scripture based like western religions. Thanks for clearing that up.

Im only nervous about going because I dont really know anything at this point about ritual. I would like to however.

So, from your point of view, what would it be like for me as a beginner? Would I be completely lost? I like the way you describe the activities and would like to take part, but....I dont know how, or what to do.

Any advice? Sorry, I just dont want to insult anyone there because I wont know what to do.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
what do you suggest for beginners who know absolutely nothing about Hinduism?
My suggestion always is BBC-Hinduism, About.com-Hinduism, and Wikipedia.
Hello - Im new to learning about Hinduism. Is there a particular text that would be good for an almost complete beginner to start with? I know the basics of Hinduism (the VERY basics), but I would like to start studying and learning the texts. Theres so many that Im overwhelmed and dont know where to start. Can anyone help?
Have you read Ramayana or SrimadBhagawat Purana. Read them like stories so that you could get the context. Later you may study the Principal Upanishads (Mukhya, the older ones) and then BhagawadGita. Other books will come later.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just curious - What happens at temples? Is it a service where a priest talks, or...? Sorry for such amateur questions.
Vinayaka is the best person to explain that and you have seen his explanation. It is just the presence of Hinduism and Hindu Gods and the visitor. Perhaps you have a Hindu friend (you can even ask any Hindu in the neighborhood or at the temple) to help you overcome the initial hesitation. They would be happy to guide you.

There are other threads in the forum on books for beginners in Hinduism and bout visits to temples. Just see the threads mentioned towards the end of the page. They will be helpful.

La_Sonadora

Ooh, maybe this is second tier stuff, but has anyone suggested..

"The Living Goddess" by Linda Jonsen
and
"Dancing with Siva" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami?

The first is sort of Shakta 101 and the second is a fairly simple book written from a Shavite perspective..

Sharmaji

I really liked “Being Different” by Rajiv Malhotra. It helped me to gain deeper knowledge on certain nuances of Vedanta, plus it truly highlights the difference between dharmic and abrahamic philosophies/religions. I also have “Essence of the Upanishads“ by Eknath Easwaran. I still haven’t finished reading it as the writing style is kind of tiresome to be honest. Recently I purchased a small booklet on Devi Maa translated as “Goddess Durga”. Somewhere at my parents’ place is a very basic translation of the Gita. Considering to get me a new one.

Sharmaji

As for Novels I really liked “Palace of illusions” by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni it’s fictional and tells the Mahabharata from the viewpoint of Draupadi. Very interesting read. If anyone is interested in meditation, “The Book of secrets” by Osho details the 112 meditation techniques as narrated by Lord Shiva to Parvati. I’ve just begun reading it as it’s a massive book it’s going to be extremely time consuming but I’m interested to find out which way works best for me.

Sharmaji

Osho had 224 techniques of sex also. Osho was a jain - Nemi Chand. He was fooling Hindus.
I’ve never read his book on sex, he was a very controversial figure in particular for comparing Hitler and Gandhi. I’m well aware of the fact that he had no Hindu background yet he constantly commented on religious Hindu figures and scriptures. However I’ve always been very open minded and I want to form my own view based on his texts. I don’t regard him as a religious figure leave alone Guru. I’m in no way supportive of the current hype surrounding certain so-called Gurus. I’m sure you’ve heard the names Nithyananda, Sadhguru among others. I merely suggested the book in case someone wants to learn about meditation, it’s obviously no sacred scripture neither are novels.

Last edited:

Sharmaji

I agree with you on modern gurus. There are many other sources to learn about meditation.
I don’t know where this whole need to obsessively find a Guru derives from. Sometimes I attribute it to laziness or naivety. I even bought this book by Sadhguru and stopped reading it halfway through as it didn’t enchant me in any way, his yoga tools are okay but I’m not sure if it’s safe for people to practice yoga without someone directly correcting your postures.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don’t know where this whole need to obsessively find a Guru derives from. Sometimes I attribute it to laziness or naivety. I even bought this book by Sadhguru and stopped reading it halfway through as it didn’t enchant me in any way, his yoga tools are okay but I’m not sure if it’s safe for people to practice yoga without someone directly correcting your postures.
Yoga, in the classical sense, is far more than postures. That's just one small aspect. In Patanjalis book, the Yoga Sutras, the truer meaning of yoga is captured. But yes, these days yoga has come to mean little more than stretching exercises with some breathing thrown in.
The first two rungs in Patanjali's classical system are the yamas and niyamas. They both stretch the will, not the body.

As for a Guru, he/she will appear when the aspirant is ready. Yes, it's necessary, but only at deeper levels, and it is a personal relationship, not one with videos or books.

Sharmaji

Yoga, in the classical sense, is far more than postures. That's just one small aspect. In Patanjalis book, the Yoga Sutras, the truer meaning of yoga is captured. But yes, these days yoga has come to mean little more than stretching exercises with some breathing thrown in.
The first two rungs in Patanjali's classical system are the yamas and niyamas. They both stretch the will, not the body.

As for a Guru, he/she will appear when the aspirant is ready. Yes, it's necessary, but only at deeper levels, and it is a personal relationship, not one with videos or books.
Thank you. Your input is greatly appreciated, I would like to learn/explore yoga and meditation more but yoga classes are expensive and the focus is mostly set on achieving a certain level of fitness. I approached some minor teachers but they never replied me back either. I ended up trying Sadhguru stuff but I didn’t really know how to feel about it as I don’t view him as Guru or as others say “enlightened”.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you. Your input is greatly appreciated, I would like to learn/explore yoga and meditation more but yoga classes are expensive and the focus is mostly set on achieving a certain level of fitness. I approached some minor teachers but they never replied me back either. I ended up trying Sadhguru stuff but I didn’t really know how to feel about it as I don’t view him as Guru or as others say “enlightened”.

Not sure if anyone really teaches that well. Arsha Vidya Gurukkulam in Pennsylvania comes to mind. Personally, I'm a Saiva Siddhantin. Our view is slightly different than most, as we see the 'yogas' as progressive stages, starting with good conduct, 9what others term karma yoga)and then to bhakti. That said, all of my sampradaya's teaching are free. As per traditional understanding, it should all be free. (dakshina excluded)