• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Higher and lower self.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That everything we see in this world (physically) is of the lower self. But the higher self that also exist in this world is hidden from our vision until we let go of ego/lower self.

All is without self, so one could say the difference between the lower and higher self is the realisation of this?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I suppose if someone were truly superior then ego wouldn't be a bad thing. Superior with compassion for instance.

An angel or a God might think themselves vastly superior and yet be of greater love and justice.

A deserved ego.

The higher self must be attained to. The lower self is human error and ignorance.

Skill, or talent does not make one higher. The truth of their justice does or doesn't.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I suppose if someone were truly superior then ego wouldn't be a bad thing. Superior with compassion for instance.

An angel or a God might think themselves vastly superior and yet be of greater love and justice.

A deserved ego.

The higher self must be attained to. The lower self is human error and ignorance.

Skill, or talent does not make one higher. The truth of their justice does or doesn't.
In my understanding higher self is realized
Similar to enlightenment

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... As someone who is a materialist, I guess I'd put the concept of higher and lower self in terms of perspective.

Lower self would be the basic, instinctual, subconscious, and first hand perspective thoughts we have and our immediate concerns. It considers the subjective world we interact with directly.

Higher self would be thoughts that consider things outside of the self and remove the self from the equation. It considers others, it considers greater consequences, and it considers the inner workings for how things function in reality. It considers the objective world we can't interact with directly.

To me, lower doesn't mean lesser, and higher doesn't mean greater. They both have their place and time to be utilized. They are merely a shift in thought from ego centric to ego suspended.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
From your understanding, or from the scripture you follow and believe in.

What is the difference in Higher and Lower self?

I’ll just give a direct quote because I cannot say it any better.

In man there are two natures; his spiritual or higher nature and his material or lower nature. In one he approaches God, in the other he lives for the world alone. Signs of both these natures are to be found in men. In his material aspect he expresses untruth, cruelty and injustice; all these are the outcome of his lower nature. The attributes of his Divine nature are shown forth in love, mercy, kindness, truth and justice, one and all being expressions of his higher nature. Every good habit, every noble quality belongs to man's spiritual nature, whereas all his imperfections and sinful actions are born of his material nature. If a man's Divine nature dominates his human nature, we have a saint. Man has the power both to do good and to do evil; if his power for good predominates and his inclinations to do wrong are conquered, then man in truth may be called a saint. But if, on the contrary, he rejects the things of God and allows his evil passions to conquer him, then he is no better than a mere animal.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Paris Talks, p. 60

PearlSeeker

Human life is complex and multi-faceted. It has physical, mental and spiritual aspects. Each aspect has its power, needs and modes, and the exercise and satisfaction of them. Only when all of our powers are in motion and all of our needs satisfied does a man live. But when only one small portion of his powers is in motion, and only a small number of his needs are satisfied, this life is not life.

This does not mean that when a man is spiritual that the intellectual and physical have no place in him, but only that the spiritual predominates, subordinating to itself and penetrating the intellectual and physical parts.

(St. Theophan The Recluse: Spiritual Life)