• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Guys,

Jake5588

Read the forum rules, and figured I'd say hi and introduce myself. Until my mid teens, I had been a devout, conservative, fundamentalist, Christian. Pretty quickly I then became an Atheist. Now, recent events have encouraged me to look at the supernatural realm, and the belief I have now is that of polytheism. Basically, I believe there's a grain of truth in just about every myth. And while I may not agree (or candidly like) with a god, all gods deserve an appropriate amount of respect. Whether they be Abrahamic, Norse, Hindu, etc.

My morality comes from wanting to please my patron gods and goddesses. However, as Socrates asked "Is it pious because it is loved by the gods, or is it loved by the gods because it is pious?" I believe that while a deity may have its own morality, I ultimately follow my own morality. While I take philosophical inspirations from low hanging fruit (Plato, Socrates, Aristotle), most of my morality is a product of my time. Work hard, golden rule, etc.

Daemon Sophic

Welcome aboard @Jake5588 ! Always keep an open mind.....

....and save room for Nanaimo bars!
20170209_122706_1024x1024.jpg

Jake5588

Hi Jake5588, great to see you are well on your journey to knowing and loving God, it will always give you challenging thoughts to pursue.

The Message of Baha'u'llah for this age is that there is only One God and he has been revealed in all His Names. This is why it appears there are many Gods, as man gets attached to the Name and fails to see the Spirit behind the Name in all other Faiths that are from God.

The Koran has a lot of information on this subject as well; This is from the forward of Ninety-Nine Names of Alláh by Shems Friedlander (Harper & Row, Publishers Inc., 1978):

"He is Alláh, there is no God but Him, Alláh has said ask from Me through mentioning My names. (Hadith Qudsi) Religious scholars have related that Alláh has three thousand Names.

• One thousand are only known by angels,
  • 1,000 known only by prophets,
  • 300 are in the Torah (Old Testament),
  • 300 are in Zabur (Psalms of David),
  • 300 are in the New Testament,
  • and 99 are in the Qur'an.
  • This makes 2,999 Names.
  • One Name which has been hidden by Alláh is called Ism Alláh al–a'zam: The Greatest Name of Alláh."
That Hidden Name is Baha'u'llah (Translated as 'Glory of God', or 'Glory of the Lord')

This is a link to this information and the 99 Names of God as mentioned in the Koran;

The Greatest Name and the 99 Names of God

This is a link of the Names of God taken from the Baha'i Writings

Names of God

Best of luck in life and Faith,

Regards Tony

Thank you for the warm welcome, but I've studied monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Islam. I can safely say I'm well on my way *away* from Islam. Please don't juxtapose me with your religion.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for the warm welcome, but I've studied monotheistic religions such as Christianity and Islam. I can safely say I'm well on my way *away* from Islam. Please don't juxtapose me with your religion.

Have a great life and may you always be well and happy. :)

Regards Tony

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Read the forum rules, and figured I'd say hi and introduce myself. Until my mid teens, I had been a devout, conservative, fundamentalist, Christian. Pretty quickly I then became an Atheist. Now, recent events have encouraged me to look at the supernatural realm, and the belief I have now is that of polytheism. Basically, I believe there's a grain of truth in just about every myth. And while I may not agree (or candidly like) with a god, all gods deserve an appropriate amount of respect. Whether they be Abrahamic, Norse, Hindu, etc.

My morality comes from wanting to please my patron gods and goddesses. However, as Socrates asked "Is it pious because it is loved by the gods, or is it loved by the gods because it is pious?" I believe that while a deity may have its own morality, I ultimately follow my own morality. While I take philosophical inspirations from low hanging fruit (Plato, Socrates, Aristotle), most of my morality is a product of my time. Work hard, golden rule, etc.

Can't say I've ever met a Hellenistic polytheist before. Welcome, and may you walk in the gods' good graces!

Jake5588

Welcome! I have to say, I am pretty ignorant on Hellenism. What called you to that path?

Honestly, that's a long story. The short and simple version though (therefore lacking a lot of important points): Even when I was little, I would talk to this higher power that was nothing like the god of my former, Christian church. The few times I would feel it respond to me (via feeling or thought redirection. I don't hear voices, see things, etc.) It was a stoic, wise, and ultimately compassionate "voice". Fast forward and every year since middle school I took some form of a theology class. I got to study Egyptian, Abrahamic, Norse, etc. deities. It should have been telling that I thought to myself one day "If there was ever a religion I could choose, it would be hellenic."

Fast forward some more. When I took philosophy in high school, I used to appreciate Neitzche (still love Voltaire), but I appreciated Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc. New life circumstances brought me back to the philosophical drawing board, and changed from Nihilist to...well, I'm not quite sure.

Fast forward some more, and I started to talk again to this higher power. I searched for what this being could be based on her personality traits (I say her because it was strong and feminine. The two aren't mutually exclusive.) At which point I made a (humble) offering. Offered it in the name of Athena, and I felt that it was accepted as the small token of gratitude (with no strings attached). And I've worshipped Athena ever since. I'm still new, so my experience with other gods is severely lacking, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Aldrnari

Honestly, that's a long story. The short and simple version though (therefore lacking a lot of important points): Even when I was little, I would talk to this higher power that was nothing like the god of my former, Christian church. The few times I would feel it respond to me (via feeling or thought redirection. I don't hear voices, see things, etc.) It was a stoic, wise, and ultimately compassionate "voice". Fast forward and every year since middle school I took some form of a theology class. I got to study Egyptian, Abrahamic, Norse, etc. deities. It should have been telling that I thought to myself one day "If there was ever a religion I could choose, it would be hellenic."

Fast forward some more. When I took philosophy in high school, I used to appreciate Neitzche (still love Voltaire), but I appreciated Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, etc. New life circumstances brought me back to the philosophical drawing board, and changed from Nihilist to...well, I'm not quite sure.

Fast forward some more, and I started to talk again to this higher power. I searched for what this being could be based on her personality traits (I say her because it was strong and feminine. The two aren't mutually exclusive.) At which point I made a (humble) offering. Offered it in the name of Athena, and I felt that it was accepted as the small token of gratitude (with no strings attached). And I've worshipped Athena ever since. I'm still new, so my experience with other gods is severely lacking, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Interesting. :) since you acknowledge other gods, yet seem to revere Athena over the others, would you consider yourself henotheistic? Do you feel led to the older ways, or are your practices more interpretive/personal? Also, have you sought the Hellenic community, or are your practices solitary at this point?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. :D

Jake5588

Interesting. :) since you acknowledge other gods, yet seem to revere Athena over the others, would you consider yourself henotheistic? Do you feel led to the older ways, or are your practices more interpretive/personal? Also, have you sought the Hellenic community, or are your practices solitary at this point?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. :D

Yes, too many questions. I'm deeply offended. (Intense sarcasm) lol

I don't consider myself henotheistic. I'm just less practiced with the other gods. Though I'm starting to broach communication with Aphrodite. Like I was saying, just a matter of experience.

In terms of worship: I feel lead to the newer ways. Worship is just human's attempts to show reverence/respect to a higher power(s). I don't pour wine or sacrifice animals. Usually I'll burn fat / meat / grain in honor of the gods. Being symbolic: it's not like they're going to eat it, but it's the thought that counts. Otherwise it's me praying / meditating.

My practices are solitary just because where I live; good luck finding a Hellenic community. As far as online forums, I'm non-denominational (oh the irony) so I just can't get behind a website that says I must worship a certain way, think a certain way, etc.

Hope that helped.