• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Herman Cain dies of COVID

Wandering Monk

Sad. Whether he got it at the Trump rally is really just playing politics with the issue.

It is easily contracted and simple mistakes can be fatal. He could have gotten it a thousand different ways.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sad. Whether he got it at the Trump rally is really just playing politics with the issue.

It is easily contracted and simple mistakes can be fatal. He could have gotten it a thousand different ways.

Some are just playing with politics and some are just playing with fate. If the Trump rally pictures demonstrate anything it is this:

This Trump enabler showed little inclination for the social distancing and the use of masks and, while it's true that we cannot know where he contracted the virus, it is also true that we cannot know how many people he might have infected with it and what their status might be. Let's also be mindful of these likely victims.​

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some are just playing with politics and some are just playing with fate. If the Trump rally pictures demonstrate anything it is this:

This Trump enabler showed little inclination for the social distancing and the use of masks and, while it's true that we cannot know where he contracted the virus, it is also true that we cannot know how many people he might have infected with it and what their status might be. Let's also be mindful of these likely victims.​
Couldnt have said it better. Especially the part about enablers spreading the virus and creating victims.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One person a minute is dying from the virus. I want to remember all no matter if they ever made it into the media or not.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's tragic. I wonder if it might have been avoided by practicing social distancing and wearing masks?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We do not know Cain's personal circumstances, maybe he had an underlying lung condition. My husband who is 78 has severe asthma. He can barely breathe and has to use a nebulizer machine at home constantly. He would probably die if he contracted the virus, thus he has not been in any stores or in contact with anyone but me since this pandemic started. Fortunately, he has me to do the grocery shopping and I only go twice a week as necessary.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting reading the article:

Earlier this month, Cain appeared to support the decision not to require masks for Trump's July 4 celebration event at Mount Rushmore.

"Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!" Cain's Twitter account posted in a tweet that appears to have since been removed.
While it's true they don't specifically know where he got it from, it's very likely due to regarding masks as a political issue, rather than a health issue. It's unfortunate they let politics put theirs, and everyone else's health at risk. Nothing good can come from that.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
We do not know Cain's personal circumstances, maybe he had an underlying lung condition. My husband who is 78 has severe asthma. He can barely breathe and has to use a nebulizer machine at home constantly. He would probably die if he contracted the virus, thus he has not been in any stores or in contact with anyone but me since this pandemic started. Fortunately, he has me to do the grocery shopping and I only go twice a week as necessary.

Yes, Cain was at risk because of a previous fight with cancer, although it was colon cancer.

It’s very sad to see this. My heart goes out to his family and of course everyone who has been impacted.

It’s important not to politicize this issue. That’s why I was frankly infuriated to see Herman Cain going to the Trump Tulsa rally and having pictures of him posted on social media at that rally not social distancing or wearing a mask - despite being in a high risk group. Stadium staff had put stickers on every other seat at that rally, encouraging people to space out. Trump campaign staff removed those stickers and you can see pictures of attendees (including Cain) packed side by side, without masks.

Nine or so days later, at the end of June, it is said he tested positive.

Two days AFTER testing positive, he flouted social distancing in connection with the next Trump event at Mt Rushmore.

He then was in the hospital for three or for weeks “on oxygen”. Even if he had recovered that probably was not a good thing to go through.

So, I don’t want to politicize the death of a human being. I feel terrible for him and his family. But with nearly 150,000 deaths in this country, we simply can’t afford not to notice the fact that Herman Cain politicized social distancing and wearing masks, and this was a predictable (if not guaranteed) result. If we don’t acknowledge that and get past it, there will be more hospitalizations and deaths than there need to be.

I actually remarked to my wife a few days before Herman Cain passed, when he had been hospitalized for a few weeks, that I hoped he would recover. But, his earlier flouting of social distancing and connecting that to loyalty to Trump, and blasting that message to thousands of followers on Twitter, was not just stupid but borderline “suicidal”. I wish I had been wrong.

I can totally understand how reasonable minds can disagree on more difficult issues, like when should schools open and how? When should restaurants open and at what capacity? I get that.

What I don’t get is why Trumpworld has politicized things as innocuous as *wearing a mask*. No business has to shut down or lay off employees because customers wear masks. This should be an easy win, something we can all agree on. But, the orange Leader on a whim just happened to dislike masks while one particular drug, hydroxychloroquine, happened to strike his fancy .... so ... his followers dutifully oppose masks too. Why? Just because. It’s remarkable.

Like the gravity of a bloated orange star, Trump’s capricious stupidity bends and warps the views of everyone in his orbit. To the point that it has become “suicidal” - literally, in Cain’s case.

I have many family members who simply refuse to wear masks or engage in minimal social distancing efforts. Because when people like Cain tweet their nonsense politicizing this ... many are listening.

So I wish I could *only* be saddened by Herman Cain’s passing. But I can’t. I’m also hoping it serves as a wake up call that this is not a joke. This is a virus. The traditional Trumpworld strategy of hurling childish insults and blaming others won’t work this time.

/rant

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It’s very sad to see this. My heart goes out to his family and of course everyone who has been impacted.

It’s important not to politicize this issue. That’s why I was frankly infuriated to see Herman Cain going to the Trump Tulsa rally and having pictures of him posted on social media at that rally not social distancing or wearing a mask - despite being in a high risk group. Stadium staff had put stickers on every other seat at that rally, encouraging people to space out. Trump campaign staff removed those stickers and you can see pictures of attendees (including Cain) packed side by side, without masks.

Nine or so days later, at the end of June, it is said he tested positive.

Two days AFTER testing positive, he flouted social distancing in connection with the next Trump event at Mt Rushmore.

He then was in the hospital for three or for weeks “on oxygen”. Even if he had recovered that probably was not a good thing to go through.

So, I don’t want to politicize the death of a human being. I feel terrible for him and his family. But with nearly 150,000 deaths in this country, we simply can’t afford not to notice the fact that Herman Cain politicized social distancing and wearing masks, and this was a predictable (if not guaranteed) result. If we don’t acknowledge that and get past it, there will be more hospitalizations and deaths than there need to be.

I actually remarked to my wife a few days before Herman Cain passed, when he had been hospitalized for a few weeks, that I hoped he would recover. But, his earlier flouting of social distancing and connecting that to loyalty to Trump, and blasting that message to thousands of followers on Twitter, was not just stupid but borderline “suicidal”. I wish I had been wrong.

I can totally understand how reasonable minds can disagree on more difficult issues, like when should schools open and how? When should restaurants open and at what capacity? I get that.

What I don’t get is why Trumpworld has politicized things as innocuous as *wearing a mask*. No business has to shut down or lay off employees because customers wear masks. This should be an easy win, something we can all agree on. But, the orange Leader on a whim just happened to dislike masks while one particular drug, hydroxychloroquine, happened to strike his fancy .... so ... his followers dutifully oppose masks too. Why? Just because. It’s remarkable.

Like the gravity of a bloated orange star, Trump’s capricious stupidity bends and warps the views of everyone in his orbit. To the point that it has become “suicidal” - literally, in Cain’s case.

I have many family members who simply refuse to wear masks or engage in minimal social distancing efforts. Because when people like Cain tweet their nonsense politicizing this ... many are listening.

So I wish I could *only* be saddened by Herman Cain’s passing. But I can’t. I’m also hoping it serves as a wake up call that this is not a joke. This is a virus. The traditional Trumpworld strategy of hurling childish insults and blaming others won’t work this time.

/rant
Brilliantly written. I wholeheartedly concur. How many deaths will it take, and glaring examples like this, before people realize this is about health, not politics.

I struggle with trying to understand the reasoning of any of that. Do they want to kill themselves and others? Is that the real wish here? They all have an existential death wish, and don't care who they take with them? It's speaks of a mental and spiritual sickness, not political and cultural values. It is a disease of the soul. It's playing Russian Roulette with their own life, their family's lives, and the lives of strangers.

Brilliantly written. I wholeheartedly concur. How many deaths will it take, and glaring examples like this, before people realize this is about health, not politics.

I struggle with trying to understand the reasoning of any of that. Do they want to kill themselves and others? Is that the real wish here? They all have an existential death wish, and don't care who they take with them? It's speaks of a mental and spiritual sickness, not political and cultural values. It is a disease of the soul. It's playing Russian Roulette with their own life, their family's lives, and the lives of strangers.
Thanks.

Why, you ask? Because some people obstinately believe the virus is not that serious. No, really, that’s what they believe. Because those are the messages they are bombarded with from the WH and the RWM. I’ve witnessed this firsthand in my family.

Then the more interesting question becomes: how is it possible, with all that has happened, that a meaningful number of people believe in this alternate reality?

The answer, IMO, as Trump’s critics have been saying for a long time, is essentially this: “the words of the President matter”.

Trumps media echo chamber has dutifully been defending his words for years now. Or where truly indefensible, shrugging them off and refusing to call him out. His defenders have often said: they are just words. They are just Tweets. Who cares?

The sycophants for the orange tyrant said: look at GDP growth. Look at unemployment. As long as his lies and alternate realities weren’t perceptibly damaging the economy ... let Trump be Trump! So what if he altered the course of a hurricane with a sharpie? So what if he lied about the size of his inauguration ... so what if he encourages his followers to “not believe what they’re hearing” from media, government, experts, scientists ... what’s the harm?

Well, there was a great line in that recent series on Chernobyl. It essentially said: every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. And eventually, that debt must be repaid.

That’s a great line (I hope I got it right). Let it sink in.

But Trump’s enablers haven’t seen things this way. Instead, they allowed him to create a segment of the population who believe his words instead of facts and reality.

Now, the embrace of “alternate facts” by 30-40% of Americans was a luxury we could afford, when we did not have a crisis. Now we have a crisis. Now the debt to the truth must be repaid.

Some, like Herman Cain, will pay with their lives.

I’ve been saying for years now that we have been very, very lucky Trump hasn’t caused more damage. Think about it: unemployment has been low. GDP has been growing. We haven’t had a war. Most of the damage he was doing was to marginalized groups (undocumented immigrants, LGBT people, etc) or was long term and could not be felt immediately (low morale in the Dept of Justice due to politicizing their work, etc). All things considered: this was the best possible outcome with this man in charge.

But I’ve been saying for years: I hope we don’t have a major crisis or a true test of this president.

I hope we don’t have to find out the hard way why “the words of the president matter” and why in spite of his tough guy language, this is no Lincoln, or Roosevelt we have here.

Because all along, they weren’t **just words**. They were **a reflection of who he is** and how he would behave in a crisis. His defenders knew this. They chose to take that risk - because that was a risk borne by the entire country. On the other hand, the furtherance of their political agenda was a benefit that accrued entirely to them. The “Never Trumper” wing of the GOP understood this trade off was wrong and put America first. The rest of the GOP did not put America first.

What I think 80% of us have long known, **because of his words**, is that Trump is simply is not a man who can rise to the occasion, make tough decisions based on deep familiarity with facts, and unite a country through crises. What he is good at - with help from his RWM friends - is creating a segment of loyal supporters who will embrace his “alternative facts”.

And now we are *all*, finally, paying the price for it.

Herman Cain’s twitter feed, bizarrely, continues to downplay the deadliness of COVID-19 from the grave.

“It looks like the virus is not as deadly as the mainstream media first made it out to be.”

- Zombie Herman Cain

Source:
Herman Cain Tweets Coronavirus Not That Deadly—Despite Having Died From It

I am more confident than ever that Trump will be re-elected. American stupidity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth and achieved immortality.

Remember those old Loony Tunes, where a cartoon villain would rise as a ghost and then inexplicably carry on the same misbehavior they did in life? This is like that, but horrifying instead of funny.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Herman Cain’s twitter feed, bizarrely, continues to downplay the deadliness of COVID-19 from the grave.

“It looks like the virus is not as deadly as the mainstream media first made it out to be.”

- Zombie Herman Cain

Source:
Herman Cain Tweets Coronavirus Not That Deadly—Despite Having Died From It

I am more confident than ever that Trump will be re-elected. American stupidity has slipped the surly bonds of Earth and achieved immortality.

Remember those old Loony Tunes, where a cartoon villain would rise as a ghost and then inexplicably carry on the same misbehavior they did in life? This is like that, but horrifying instead of funny.
I think people already know that its deadly to those who are vulnerable and susceptible. Still, it doesn't negate the fact that most people will get through it just fine.

Covid is no different than anything else out there that has the potential to kill you in various ways.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think people already know that its deadly to those who are vulnerable and susceptible. Still, it doesn't negate the fact that most people will get through it just fine.

Covid is no different than anything else out there that has the potential to kill you in various ways.
Apparently you're wrong.
Herman Cain said it wasn't as deadly as claimed.
He then died from it.
It's now 100% fatal (+/- 50%).