• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

help me find a community

Hi Karolina. I'm new to this forum and have been going around reading threads and trying to get the "feel" of things here before jumping in too much. There is so much going on that I don't think I would ever be able to keep up with all of it!

However, in my wanderings I happened upon this and another thread you started, and your story kind of hit home with me - also a nostalgic Catholic who feels disconnected from the Church in fundamental ways.

Like you, I've also gone through a long journey over many years. Most notably, working part time at a Hare Krishna incense factory and later participating in their colorful activities, attending the Surat Shabad Yoga conferences by the late Sikh Master Kirpal Singh (who I believe was a genuine Guru), the Unity School of Christianity and the similar Science of Mind church, studying at Tarot Card reading school, and the Catholic Charismatic movement. I also took Jehovah's Witnesses Bible home study lessons for almost two years. Oh yes, and the vibrant Baptist Church when I was in my teens. I think my two favorite groups were the Hare Krishnas and Jehovah's Witnesses!

I mention these in case you want to hear more of my experiences in any particular one, And I must mention that early on in all this I slowly became vegetarian for spiritual and ethical reasons, and today I am vegan.

Presently I've found a comfortable place to settle down in Vedanta Hinduism with the teachings of Ramana Maharshi and others like him. These teachings seem to fit my understanding and answer my questions. However, there is no community to join where I live (although they do have several groups in Canada and the U.S.). I've had to settle for being on two mailing lists and enjoying the e-mail journals that regularly show up in my e-mail inbox! But living in Eastern Canada, I can dream a little of one day making a "pilgrimage" to the Ramana ashram in Nova Scotia.

But it has all been a wonderful and memorable journey for me and I savor those memories of all the places I have been. I've come to see each place I've visited as being right for my journey at the time I was there. Way stations where I always learned what I needed to know at any point in time. Precious, precious memories (even the bad moments, of which there were a few . . .)

It is the Journey that matters. That and always looking for a deeper connection with the roots of our being. I believe that every person is a unique individual and that everyone's relationship with God and the Cosmos is also unique. Perhaps finding a community is more important than agreeing with everyone about everything. And it is likely that your own beliefs and understanding will change anyway as time goes by.

I hope you find the place that fits you the best, I understand that with your kids you are looking for a community and it seems reasonable to trust that God and Divine Providence will provide for you as is needed. In the meanwhile, you always have the good old Catholic family tradition of saying the Rosary together, or some other similar activity. And I hope you will find a church with lots of singing. I am an amateur musician and can testify that playing music and singing together is a strong way to form community.

I hope that my long ramble has been able to provide one or two tidbits of useful information and encouragement for you. Don't give up and may God be with you on your wonderful journey! :):D

By the way, where do you live? This might help us in our suggestions . . .