1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured help me find a community

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by Karolina, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    I keep being given the advice to check out Unitarian Universalists, but the main objection I have is that I want to worship God with others there to worship God. It sounds like UU may tolerate my theism, but can their services really be said to be corporal worship of the One God, if atheists, polytheists, pantheists, etc. can be UU as long as we agree on ethical matters?

I've met with Bahai folks as well, but my thing is, I guess... I don't really believe in revelations per se. I believe in universal revelation in nature, accessible to everyone, and personal revelation as in discernment, but not in the sense that there are prophets claiming to have a message from God for everyone. There's just no way to prove that and it depends too much on the alleged prophet's charisma whether or not their message is received. I just don't think God operates that way.

I do believe in a personal God, though. Deists seem to believe in a distant creator not really interested in our lives, and so there's nothing in place to actually worship God. I have a deep seated need and desire to actually worship God.

I've been looking into Judaism and Islam as well, but again there is the problem of prophets and revelations. Those just don't resonate with me.

I've also sat with Quakers in the past, but we have a similar problem to the UU in that there is a huge spectrum of understanding what "Christ within" means, plus I wouldn't actually call collective meditation "worship".

I'm coming from a Catholic background. I enjoy the liturgy and the ritual, I just can't go back to the theology. I love Jesus and would be happy continuing to follow him, but I cannot in good conscience say I believe he was any more than a great spiritual leader.

Is there a group I've overlooked in my 20+ years of on-again-off-again searching?

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +21,126
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Zoroastrianism? But that has a prophet and no community of which to speak. I think you may have to go with Deism or Theism, or reconsider your views on prophecy and such. We're always here to listen to you no matter what you choose :)

#2 Rival, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,607
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    In Hinduism there are communities ... sort of loose informal communities, of all the people who come to the temple to worship God. But the community isn't the focus; God is. So it's a bunch of like minded people worshiping God, sometimes at the same time, sometimes not. The community is a long term secondary effect of that.

People vary though. Some do go for the community, while others go for the God. As far as liturgy and ritual goes, there is an absolute ton of that. It would take a long time to become a member of said community, as well as having to have an outgoing personality.

I strongly suspect it wouldn't be for you, I'm just putting it out there as an option you probably never considered. Most westerners wouldn't.

#3 Vinayaka, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,792
    Religion:
    Judaism
    What I'm hearing is: liturgy, ritual, Jesus was a spiritual leader, and you value continuity of belief among the members of the congregation. That sounds like Islam.

5. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Perhaps you misheard, she said she doesn’t believe in prophets and Messengers which is central to Islam

• Like Like x 3
  6. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Your beliefs are similar to mine but with more of a catholic ritual focus.

To be honest I have given up trying to find a religious community that suits, I can do any ritual I want by myself.

But I would ask the question, what is your experience with Liberal Catholic Churches like?

I haven’t been to one because like I said i’m not so catholic focused, but they may accept a person who sees Jesus as more of a spiritual man than a god or a Messenger.

7. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Although she may fit in with liberal Islam so long as she happens to live close enough to a liberal mosque.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,792
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Right. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,609
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Maybe you need to start your own cult...er...sect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    Based on the liberal, not-in-union-with-Rome Catholic churches I've read about and visited, they're still pretty clearly trinitarian.

11. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    My mother had been telling me this for years! But I seriously don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel. I see within Christianity a new split every time someone disagrees with something. I don't want to contribute to the chaos. Lol

12. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    By liberal Islam do you mean like the Sufis?? Hmmm.

13. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,609
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    So you're looking for a tolerant Christian community? Have you tried the Episcopalians?

14. danieldemol

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,794
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Not necessarily, Sufis range from liberal to fundamentalist.
    If you are interested in seeing what liberal Muslims are like you could ask some questions at Progressive Islam

Some of them (liberal Muslims) may believe in Messengers, some may not. The best way to find out is probably to explain your situation and question them directly.

15. Orbit

Orbit I'm a planet

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Dinner
    The Emerging Church movement might appeal to you

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,940
    Religion:
    dystopian Christian
    Unity seems to fit your bill. You may have trouble finding a meeting, but if you're in a metropolitan area you might. I don't know if any of them practice liturgy, but they have an order of service. The one I visited had something like contemporary worship, a sermon, sunday school, meditation and food. They also had some homeless outreach.

17. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,333
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    If you believe in a personal God I would try praying to God for guidance and making my best effort to hear and acting on what's being said. I did just that after 5 years of searching. Being from a Christian background the answer to my prayer was not what I expected but its what I needed at that time. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,768
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    Have you ever had discussions with Jehovah's Witnesses? I avoided them for years because of what others said about them...but one day I listened and I liked what I heard....they were nothing like they had been described...and they answered all my questions patiently, straight from the Bible....something no one else had ever been able to do.

19. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    I have. They're trinitarian though.

20. Karolina

Karolina Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Religion:
    Catholic Seeker
    Thanks, I'll check out that thread. Hadn't actually heard of Progressive Islam before.

I'll have to look into this. I recently participated in a live streaming of Evolving Faith that sounds like it may be similar. Thanks.

Is Unity different from Unitarian? ( I've only found Unitarian Universalist congregations, and they're no longer Christian-esque even, and I find it odd to "worship" with atheists?!)

You know, I have thought of JWs when I first realized I liked the idea of following Jesus but without the whole trinity. But my sister in law is a former JW and there are several things I take issue with (shunning, blood transfusions, and limiting paradise to only 144,000 when numerical symbolism is how biblical numbers better resonate with me).