• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

help me find a community

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Is Unity different from Unitarian? ( I've only found Unitarian Universalist congregations, and they're no longer Christian-esque even, and I find it odd to "worship" with atheists?!)
They are separate and unrelated. I think UU is less focused on prayer, can vary wildly between meetings, is much more well known. I believe Unity have some past connection with the spiritualist Mary Baker Eddie, so they go back to mid 19th century. I don't know if they started out as a cult following of hers only that they take some inspiration from her writing. They didn't seem to be controlled at all, and I visited a couple of times. What they have on common with UU's is they believe in heaven and that all people go there. What they have in common with Quakers is they believe God is in people, and this gets expressed during their worship, too. I'm not sure if UU has that in common or if it views God the same way. They use Christian scriptures I think and also have a set of apologist writings including as I mentioned that spiritualist MBE. They recognize all faiths and accept all faiths to worship with them and don't require conversion -- to my knowledge. I suppose with increasing responsibility you'd need to know their apologetics. They always had snacks before service and coffee, and people would chat. There was a 'Service' the order of which I do not now remember. It involved a welcoming song, more singing, a common prayer recited, a live band, an individual prayer by their pastor, the entry of the children of all ages from their classes, the pastor speaking to the children, announcements. There was a weekly bulletin as well and discussion about donations and use of funds.

Karolina

Just looked online and there isn't a gathering place within 100 miles of where I live. And a physical place for meeting is sort of the point of my search. :/

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Just looked online and there isn't a gathering place within 100 miles of where I live. And a physical place for meeting is sort of the point of my search. :/
Are you looking for a community for social reasons, or because you would like to worship in a group setting with other monotheistic non-trinitarians?

The reason I ask, is that I think a lot of people find value in a more private ritual in a non-group setting. Then that opens up more options on the social side.

Or: Don't worry about what other folks are doing / thinking / feeling while they are praying next to you, that will open up new options as well.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You know, I have thought of JWs when I first realized I liked the idea of following Jesus but without the whole trinity. But my sister in law is a former JW and there are several things I take issue with (shunning, blood transfusions, and limiting paradise to only 144,000 when numerical symbolism is how biblical numbers better resonate with me).

It seems to me that former JW’s cause more damage to the reputation of the Witnesses than anyone else. They have an axe to grind and will find all the faults they can to excuse their defection. Remember Judas was one of the 12. He was with Jesus for his entire ministry, but still chose to betray him.

If you have ever been on the receiving end of an “ex’s” evaluation of your character, you will understand what I mean.

I would love to discuss those issues with you because I don’t think they have been presented to you accurately. You might just be surprised that these things are not what you have been led to believe....They are all easily explained if you have open ears and can evaluate things for yourself, rather than on someone’s say so.

Please feel free to ask any questions you like. The Bible itself provides all the answers.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Bird123

I keep being given the advice to check out Unitarian Universalists, but the main objection I have is that I want to worship God with others there to worship God. It sounds like UU may tolerate my theism, but can their services really be said to be corporal worship of the One God, if atheists, polytheists, pantheists, etc. can be UU as long as we agree on ethical matters?

I've met with Bahai folks as well, but my thing is, I guess... I don't really believe in revelations per se. I believe in universal revelation in nature, accessible to everyone, and personal revelation as in discernment, but not in the sense that there are prophets claiming to have a message from God for everyone. There's just no way to prove that and it depends too much on the alleged prophet's charisma whether or not their message is received. I just don't think God operates that way.

I do believe in a personal God, though. Deists seem to believe in a distant creator not really interested in our lives, and so there's nothing in place to actually worship God. I have a deep seated need and desire to actually worship God.

I've been looking into Judaism and Islam as well, but again there is the problem of prophets and revelations. Those just don't resonate with me.

I've also sat with Quakers in the past, but we have a similar problem to the UU in that there is a huge spectrum of understanding what "Christ within" means, plus I wouldn't actually call collective meditation "worship".

I'm coming from a Catholic background. I enjoy the liturgy and the ritual, I just can't go back to the theology. I love Jesus and would be happy continuing to follow him, but I cannot in good conscience say I believe he was any more than a great spiritual leader.

Is there a group I've overlooked in my 20+ years of on-again-off-again searching?

Don't you understand? You are already a part of a community. It's the community of God's children.

God's greatest moment is when that light bulb goes off over one of His children's head and they Understand.

Perhaps you can take turns and visit them all even though you know what they believe is wrong.

God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. Interaction is a key force in learning and growing. If you share your view and that which is Special about you with others, that light bulb might just go off for someone.

Does it really matter that everyone Believes the same Beliefs. Since Believing has never ever been important to God, what people believe is not important. Who knows, when people of different views come together, they might just Discover something. I can see that light bulb shining as we speak.

I have found no religion really understands God. On the other hand, I can visit them and point in the right direction.

As I see it sharing that which is Special about yourself with others is one of the Best ways to worship God. After all, that is God's plan. Actions do speak louder than words.

Karolina

Are you looking for a community for social reasons, or because you would like to worship in a group setting with other monotheistic non-trinitarians?

The reason I ask, is that I think a lot of people find value in a more private ritual in a non-group setting. Then that opens up more options on the social side.

Or: Don't worry about what other folks are doing / thinking / feeling while they are praying next to you, that will open up new options as well.

I am an introvert, yet in spite of this, I find worshiping God together a reminder that my faith is not just something I made up in my head. Plus, it's very helpful to raise my children with faith (my current seeking is quite angst-producing for me right now bc I was hoping to be settled somewhere for good by the time I was teaching my children my values. I want them to think for themselves, but the one thing I want to make sure they don't forget is that God exists and loves them. Everything else is up to them to interpret.)

When I was practicing Neo-Paganism in my 20s, I was a solitary practitioner. When I'd gather with other Pagans in UU settings, it wasn't really fulfilling. Likewise, when I'd sit in meditation during Quaker meeting, it wasn't the same as when I'd walk in silence at a retreat house in nature or in a labyrinth.

I think I'm looking for the communal aspect for the purpose of: singing together and hearing Scripture applied to my life.

Karolina

Don't you understand? You are already a part of a community. It's the community of God's children.

God's greatest moment is when that light bulb goes off over one of His children's head and they Understand.

Perhaps you can take turns and visit them all even though you know what they believe is wrong.

God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. Interaction is a key force in learning and growing. If you share your view and that which is Special about you with others, that light bulb might just go off for someone.

Does it really matter that everyone Believes the same Beliefs. Since Believing has never ever been important to God, what people believe is not important. Who knows, when people of different views come together, they might just Discover something. I can see that light bulb shining as we speak.

I have found no religion really understands God. On the other hand, I can visit them and point in the right direction.

As I see it sharing that which is Special about yourself with others is one of the Best ways to worship God. After all, that is God's plan. Actions do speak louder than words.

I think I know what you mean, but I have been indoctrinated with a certain understanding of what faith "looks like" and I can't just abandon all of that. So I'm in the process of trying to do what I think you're suggesting. Staying where God has led me and brought me back, but not denying my inner spiritual life in the process. It's going to take courage for me to be different and refuse to let them push me out of Catholicism because I don't conform to their ideas of the way things are.

The community of all of God's children is a beautiful thought indeed, but unless said group is gathered together in worship, I don't readily feel that connection.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am an introvert, yet in spite of this, I find worshiping God together a reminder that my faith is not just something I made up in my head. Plus, it's very helpful to raise my children with faith (my current seeking is quite angst-producing for me right now bc I was hoping to be settled somewhere for good by the time I was teaching my children my values. I want them to think for themselves, but the one thing I want to make sure they don't forget is that God exists and loves them. Everything else is up to them to interpret.)

When I was practicing Neo-Paganism in my 20s, I was a solitary practitioner. When I'd gather with other Pagans in UU settings, it wasn't really fulfilling. Likewise, when I'd sit in meditation during Quaker meeting, it wasn't the same as when I'd walk in silence at a retreat house in nature or in a labyrinth.

I think I'm looking for the communal aspect for the purpose of: singing together and hearing Scripture applied to my life.
I'm reading this and wondering to myself. A real part of me hears your situation and it resonates with me. There is something to be said for traditionalism. It is that ritual habit of days of attendance, community, fellowship, etc. A regular gather place has a grounding effect, a stable routine, and so forth. But in my case, the price I was having to pay was drinking the kool aid of taking these things as facts, as opposed to understanding them as metaphors. It leads to not really having anyone you can talk to about your own spiritual thoughts, as they would be well outside the wheelhouse of what they can accept in the scope of their reality. It could be like that old song about being all alone in a crowded room.

I personally have never resolved that part of my life that I was fond of in the past, that sense of a spiritual community home. I make the world my church now, but I am not in your position of having kids and trying to provide a sense of community and routine that a church life can bring. While I've no personal experience with it, my mother was raised Episcopalian, and I understand they can be a relatively "safe" community, without all the mythic-literal language which sucks the air out of the room, and it is better to stay home on Sundays to protect your family from that.

Good luck to you on your quest. It may end up with something you create for yourself, much as I have been doing.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All the best, I hope you find what you are looking for. Our heart is our ultimate guide and within each of us is all the potential we have. Our attachments to this world, become the veils that obscure that potential from shining.

Regards Tony

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I keep being given the advice to check out Unitarian Universalists, but the main objection I have is that I want to worship God with others there to worship God. It sounds like UU may tolerate my theism, but can their services really be said to be corporal worship of the One God, if atheists, polytheists, pantheists, etc. can be UU as long as we agree on ethical matters?

I've met with Bahai folks as well, but my thing is, I guess... I don't really believe in revelations per se. I believe in universal revelation in nature, accessible to everyone, and personal revelation as in discernment, but not in the sense that there are prophets claiming to have a message from God for everyone. There's just no way to prove that and it depends too much on the alleged prophet's charisma whether or not their message is received. I just don't think God operates that way.

I do believe in a personal God, though. Deists seem to believe in a distant creator not really interested in our lives, and so there's nothing in place to actually worship God. I have a deep seated need and desire to actually worship God.

I've been looking into Judaism and Islam as well, but again there is the problem of prophets and revelations. Those just don't resonate with me.

I've also sat with Quakers in the past, but we have a similar problem to the UU in that there is a huge spectrum of understanding what "Christ within" means, plus I wouldn't actually call collective meditation "worship".

I'm coming from a Catholic background. I enjoy the liturgy and the ritual, I just can't go back to the theology. I love Jesus and would be happy continuing to follow him, but I cannot in good conscience say I believe he was any more than a great spiritual leader.

Is there a group I've overlooked in my 20+ years of on-again-off-again searching?

The biggest problem for me was finding a belief that didn’t condemn other religions as I believed all humanity should be loved. What I have now is a belief that there is truth in all religions and that all humanity are equal regardless of our different understandings. So I can love all humanity inclusively.

Riders

If you want one God and belief in revelations and bible teaching and UNiversalism? UNITY CHURCH!!!!!!!!!! They are somewhat of a Christian Universalist. They teach from the bible but have folks from different religions too. Everyone is free to apply the stories from the bible to their own religion and they do not teach Jesus is God but your free to believe that, they do preach from the bible!!!!!!!!

Karolina

Sidebar: I did a quick google on this but I'm not sure I'm finding good info. Is there a reliable website that can help me with this detail?

What I mean when I say "Neo-Pagan" is an umbrella term for modern takes on ancient earth-based religions. The most commonly known is "Wicca". It was all very symbolic for me - there were masculine and feminine aspects of the Divine, associated respectively with the sun and moon, etc. etc. But as I think about it, I never actually believed in "a god and a goddess" as in two deities. It was just a philosophical construct that spoke to me where I was on my journey. I personally referenced Scott Cunningham's work the most in forming my practice.

Karolina

Quakers are good too but I have a feeling shes looking for a church that has a preacher, Many Quakers get together to hear the voice of God and therefore spend the hour praying meditating no sermon.

Right! I hear there are more "liturgical" Quakers in the Western US, but on the East coast where I am, it's pretty much unstructured silent worship style meetings, with no preacher, no prepared lesson, no official reference to Scriptures of any kind. It's basically solitary practice but done in a group ;)

Karolina

If you want one God and belief in revelations and bible teaching and UNiversalism? UNITY CHURCH!!!!!!!!!! They are somewhat of a Christian Universalist. They teach from the bible but have folks from different religions too. Everyone is free to apply the stories from the bible to their own religion and they do not teach Jesus is God but your free to believe that, they do preach from the bible!!!!!!!!

This did sound promising, but as it turns out there are no physical places where they meet within a one hundred radius of where I live.

Karolina

I'm reading this and wondering to myself. A real part of me hears your situation and it resonates with me. There is something to be said for traditionalism. It is that ritual habit of days of attendance, community, fellowship, etc. A regular gather place has a grounding effect, a stable routine, and so forth. But in my case, the price I was having to pay was drinking the kool aid of taking these things as facts, as opposed to understanding them as metaphors. It leads to not really having anyone you can talk to about your own spiritual thoughts, as they would be well outside the wheelhouse of what they can accept in the scope of their reality. It could be like that old song about being all alone in a crowded room.

Yes, exactly! I know what you mean - something's got to give, and I'm in the process of figuring out what that will be. I'm having to make my peace with the knowledge that I can't put the veil back over my eyes again.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What I mean when I say "Neo-Pagan" is an umbrella term for modern takes on ancient earth-based religions. The most commonly known is "Wicca". It was all very symbolic for me - there were masculine and feminine aspects of the Divine, associated respectively with the sun and moon, etc. etc. But as I think about it, I never actually believed in "a god and a goddess" as in two deities. It was just a philosophical construct that spoke to me where I was on my journey. I personally referenced Scott Cunningham's work the most in forming my practice.
It looks like a beautiful tradition. I'm fascinated by this stuff. Thanks.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane

The kind of tone I am picking up feels more akin to Vaishnavism (the form of Hinduism that worships Vishnu as the supreme image of God).
Although Vaishnavism does have avatar incarnations of Vishnu (the most well-known being Krishna) which is partially like the whole Prophet idea again though....

However some form of Vedanta may be more up your direction, such as Advaita or Dvaita both of which emphasize the 'personal' relationship with God through the practice of Bhakti Yoga.

Anyway, those things are what I kinda sensed there.

All the best and if you're at all interested in discussing Islam, send me a PM (if you can tell from my religion part on my profile...). :)