• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello, my name is Dana.

TommyDar

Hello and welcome.

I used to be a Muslim with socially conservative views. Now I am an atheist who like yourself is pretty liberal.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, Dana.

Like Caladan, I'm curious about what real differences you see there being between mainstream Christianity and Messianic Judaism.

I was raised Baptist, and converted to Judaism. When people first found out I was going through the process, they usually assumed I meant I was becoming a messianic Jew. I never really saw a difference between the two (Christianity and Messianic Judaism, that is), to be honest. But maybe that's due to the type I run across in my neck of the woods.

OK, cool.
Is it for cultural, theological or liturgical reasons? (or a combination).
What drove you towards Messianic Judaism above other Christian denominations?

Theological reasons, and it was a several year long process. It started when I stopped celebrating Halloween and continued until I felt that Christianity is no longer for me. One of my mantras is this: One must question everything, even God Himself. :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Theological reasons, and it was a several year long process. It started when I stopped celebrating Halloween and continued until I felt that Christianity is no longer for me. One of my mantras is this: One must question everything, even God Himself. :)
Well, best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll find your way and home. I'll be more than glade to discuss with you the New Testament or Judaism when the chance arises ;)

Welcome to the forum, Dana.

Like Caladan, I'm curious about what real differences you see there being between mainstream Christianity and Messianic Judaism.

I was raised Baptist, and converted to Judaism. When people first found out I was going through the process, they usually assumed I meant I was becoming a messianic Jew. I never really saw a difference between the two (Christianity and Messianic Judaism, that is), to be honest. But maybe that's due to the type I run across in my neck of the woods.

Christianity in my belief adopts pagan practices, like changing the sabbath, ripping off pagan holidays and passing them off as their own. Christmas is a combination of the Virgin Birth, Saturnalia, Winter Solstice, and Yule. All of those except the Virgin Birth are pagan. Do not even get me started on Easter which sounds so like Ishtar the pagan goddess and was changed from Passover in 196 AD by Christians without including the Jews. That is so dishonest, and my main sticking points are that Abraham was justified by faith without being a Christian, so why can't I, and believers were not called Christians until Acts 11:26, so they had to be known as Jews or Proselytes before that.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Christianity in my belief adopts pagan practices, like changing the sabbath, ripping off pagan holidays and passing them off as their own. Christmas is a combination of the Virgin Birth, Saturnalia, Winter Solstice, and Yule. All of those except the Virgin Birth are pagan. Do not even get me started on Easter which sounds so like Ishtar the pagan goddess and was changed from Passover in 196 AD by Christians without including the Jews. That is so dishonest, and my main sticking points are that Abraham was justified by faith without being a Christian, so why can't I, and believers were not called Christians until Acts 11:26, so they had to be known as Jews or Proselytes before that.

Thank you for explaining. We have a guy here who uses "Old-Israelite Nazarene" as his religious title, and I've also seen "Ebonite" used to describe the type of stance you've taken. We have two here who post in the Messianic Judaism DIR that you could probably talk with.

Egor

A Veridican for Christ
Why would you want to join the Jewish Religion if you're not Jewish? What is so great about it?