• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello from Sweden!

Namaste, Vannakkam, Namaskaram, and hello. I'm one of the Hindus here, but I don't come on much. I hope you learn what you hope to learn. Aum Namasivaya
Namaste! Hopefully we'll bump into each other in some thread or another :) I've read a little bit about advaita vedanta, Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Ramana Maharshi, as well as the Bhagavad Gita. Although I'm not hindu, advaita vedanta and the Bhagavad Gita has constituted an inspiration in my life since I first encountered them, they are something I return to from time to time. Some truly great faith traditions as well as philosophical systems derive from the Indian subcontinent..!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Join us for the afternoon snack.
maxresdefault.jpg

Welcome, @Thousand_Clouds! Is there a special story behind your choice of screen name?

Have some rugelach made with apricot jam and sweet almond filling!

View attachment 81060

Thank you very much indeed! Regarding my usernamne, well.. Primarily I wanted a name evoking an image of a multitude of entities leading a precarious existence, coming into being and resolving repeatedly. Hence, a thousand clouds.

Also, I was thinking a bit about Norse mythology (seeing that I am from Sweden) where the body of the giant Ymir is used to create the world. His skull becomes the heavens and his brains becomes the clouds. Which also made the name seem fitting, as my contribution to the Forums will be my thoughts. :)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't mind if I do! The Swedish contribution par excellence to the culinary canon of the world A strong brew to be enjoyed only in (very) small doses.
Here, we use it to get rid of skunks under porches.
Just toss it in with them, & they scamper in terror.
Then the only problem is how to deal with all the
Swedes who move in under the porch.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Thank you! I do have a philosophical inclination, so perhaps I'll see you in the comment sections :)
My particular philosophical interest is the long and difficult journey to liberty, freedom of thought and belief, and the rights that now (often) inhere to humans by virtue of nothing more than their humanity. Five hundred and more years of struggle from the depredations and repressions of the wars of religion, of monarchy and nobility versus the common man, to the rights-based democracies of the most of the first world today.

And the possibility that, in taking our rights and freedoms for granted rather than continuing to fight for them (as we fought to get them), we might lose them. That possibility seems to be growing around the world today.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. I don't think nondual experience and ideology is something that people generally tend to engage with.
Looking forward to many fruitful discussions! :praying:
Welcome Thousand_Clouds, non-duality is the acme of Indian philosophy and we have many people here who understand it well.
Thousand_Clouds, there are no thousand clouds, there is only one which inhibits us to see beyond what our senses tell us - and that is known as 'maya'. :):pointup::praying:
While I'm pretty ignorant about Buddhism and Hinduism, I know that we have a few practitioners here.
Heyo, you will know if you take some interest.
Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Ramana Maharshi, as well as the Bhagavad Gita.
Upanishads?

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi!

I'm from Sweden and I've joined the forums primarily to learn more about buddhism and hinduism, and to share my thoughts with others who are interested in and/or practice these traditions. I guess I identify as agnostic, with a keen interest in nondualism. :)

I've meditated periodically for a number of years and I've read a bit of buddhist and hindu literature as well as academic literature about both traditions. I've also visited a couple of countries where these traditions are practiced to a greater extent than in my home country, such as India and Japan. However, I don't know too many people who share my interest. Although the secularized version of mindfulness has been popular in Sweden for some time, I don't think nondual experience and ideology is something that people generally tend to engage with.

Looking forward to many fruitful discussions! :praying:

Best regards
Thousand Clouds
Great to meet you. I am from India and a practicing Hindu with Advaita leanings. I am also a follower of Buddha having learned and practiced mindfulness meditation for many years. Hope to have many great discussions with you on the forum.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Great to meet you. I am from India and a practicing Hindu with Advaita leanings. I am also a follower of Buddha having learned and practiced mindfulness meditation for many years. Hope to have many great discussions with you on the forum.
Yeah, some of us are equally interested in Buddhism. And why not? Since Buddha is considered by many Hindus to be the ninth and the latest avatara of Lord Vishnu. I am no different. Buddha is my guru.

However, I do not consider Ramakrishna and Vivekananda to be hard-core 'advaitists'.

Welcome, Cloud.
I identify with advaita Vedanta, though not in a religious sense. We can talk.
Thank you! I guess I do as well, although I don't practice any tradition or think of myself as a believer in a certain vision of the world. But it is something about advaita vedanta, as well as other nondual/monistic traditions, that resonates with me in a deep sense. Seeing the unity in the world, perceiving a common origin, a common core or a common defining trait in everything, in yourself as well as in all things around you. And the sense of belonging, connectedness and continuity that comes with that. That really speaks to me.

Also, being able to direct your sense of awe in relation to the world towards a single concept or symbol, or entity, which summarizes the totality of existence, such as God or emptiness, is something that I think is quite wonderful to have in your life. To me, this sense of awe and amazement is something that is (or at least can be) sort of an integral part of the human experience of being in the world. It's something that I whish others would have in their lives as well, even if only occasionally, or maybe even only once.

My particular philosophical interest is the long and difficult journey to liberty, freedom of thought and belief, and the rights that now (often) inhere to humans by virtue of nothing more than their humanity. Five hundred and more years of struggle from the depredations and repressions of the wars of religion, of monarchy and nobility versus the common man, to the rights-based democracies of the most of the first world today.

And the possibility that, in taking our rights and freedoms for granted rather than continuing to fight for them (as we fought to get them), we might lose them. That possibility seems to be growing around the world today.
I see. Well, groups who do not share democratic core beliefs such as freedom of thought and expression, but instead have 1) a dogmatic belief in what they perceive to be truth, and 2) a conviction that it is imperative that they enforce their beliefs and way of life upon others, do constitute a challenge to democratic (and pluralistic) society.

If you, on the other hand, do think that democratic values, rights and freedoms are important, and if you want a society that promotes peaceful coexistence between its different subgroups, I think the rights-based democratic system that you mentioned indeed constitute a good societal framework. However, where democratic society draws the line regarding what it can tolerate in terms of the afore mentioned groups with anti-democratic sentiments is a tricky question. A group promoting violence towards unbelievers/non-group members will of course be subject to interventions from the judiciary system. But a group eroding the democratic system through democratic channels, for exempel by enforcing policies not in line with democratic values, after being elected to positions of power by its symptathizers? Tricky indeed.

How to avoid this.. A big question without simple answers, I think..! But maybe the educational system and a sort of grass roots-spreading of a tolerant mindset might play key roles?

Welcome Thousand_Clouds, non-duality is the acme of Indian philosophy and we have many people here who understand it well.
Thousand_Clouds, there are no thousand clouds, there is only one which inhibits us to see beyond what our senses tell us - and that is known as 'maya'. :):pointup::praying:

Heyo, you will know if you take some interest.

Upanishads?
Thanks! Ah yes, indeed :) A seeming diversity, an underlying unity :cloud:

I have not read the Upanishads. Do you have any recommendations regarding where to begin? :) Apart from the Bhagavad Gita, I've only read some of Vivekanandas short writings about Sri Ramakrishna and a biography about Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Yeah, some of us are equally interested in Buddhism. And why not? Since Buddha is considered by many Hindus to be the ninth and the latest avatara of Lord Vishnu. I am no different. Buddha is my guru.

However, I do not consider Ramakrishna and Vivekananda to be hard-core 'advaitists'.
Out of curiosity, would you care to elaborate on why you don't consider them to be such? (is it perhaps because of the elements of bhakti in their spirituality?) And do you have an example of someone you would consider to be a more "hard-core" advaitin? I would be interested in learning more about them!

Thanks, you too! It sounds to me like our alignments are similar indeed, then! :) ...if you don't mind me asking, seeing your avatar, is it possible that you are a follower of the Mahadevi?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, you too! It sounds to me like our alignments are similar indeed, then! :) ...if you don't mind me asking, seeing your avatar, is it possible that you are a follower of the Mahadevi?
Yes. I am from Bengal where Durga and Kali are the main deities. The Durga Puja in Bengal is a sight to behold. My family and kin also have two Kali Temples whom our ancestors established around 250 years ago and that we manage. We are also closely associated (from my wife's side) with the Dakshineswar Kali temple which is quite famous in Kolkata.
UNESCO - Durga Puja in Kolkata
Dakshineswar Kali Temple - Wikipedia