• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello from Sweden!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you! I guess I do as well, although I don't practice any tradition or think of myself as a believer in a certain vision of the world. But it is something about advaita vedanta, as well as other nondual/monistic traditions, that resonates with me in a deep sense. Seeing the unity in the world, perceiving a common origin, a common core or a common defining trait in everything, in yourself as well as in all things around you. And the sense of belonging, connectedness and continuity that comes with that. That really speaks to me.
Advaita Vedanta is less a religion than a metaphysics, like Quantum Mechanics. The unity is beyond the perception of common traits in our everyday, 3rd-atate reality. It's more like the unity of gravity and acceleration, time and space or mass and energy in Relativity theory. It's a Reality imperceptible from our present level of consciousness.
Also, being able to direct your sense of awe in relation to the world towards a single concept or symbol, or entity, which summarizes the totality of existence, such as God or emptiness, is something that I think is quite wonderful to have in your life. To me, this sense of awe and amazement is something that is (or at least can be) sort of an integral part of the human experience of being in the world. It's something that I whish others would have in their lives as well, even if only occasionally, or maybe even only once.
Symbolism seems to be the only way to approach more expanded levels of reality from Waking-State. Frankly, the reality we do generate from this level of consciousness is quite remarkable in itself. It feels consistent, well-ordered, and predictive -- until you begin to examine it closely; then it begins to look like someone is playing dice....

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks! Ah yes, indeed :) A seeming diversity, an underlying unity :cloud:

I have not read the Upanishads. Do you have any recommendations regarding where to begin? :) Apart from the Bhagavad Gita, I've only read some of Vivekanandas short writings about Sri Ramakrishna and a biography about Sri Ramana Maharshi.
If you're interested in Vedanta, you'll find the Upanishads more informative than the Gita, in my opinion.
In Hinduism, the Vedas and Upanishads are Shruti -- orthodox and "official" scripture. The Gita is usually considered Smriti: an unofficial but important type of scripture. It is, though, a much more approachable summary of popular Hindu philosophy than the Vedas/Upanishads.

There have been numerous synopses of the Upanishads published. You can probably find some in your local library or bookstore.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks! Ah yes, indeed :) A seeming diversity, an underlying unity :cloud:
I have not read the Upanishads.
Yeah for the first part. For the second, you are missing a lot. Upanishads are a must read for understanding Hinduism. Some are extremely concise, Could be printed on an A4 page, one having just 18 verses. 10 of them are considered oldest and are known as 'Principal Upanishads'. Some add three more.
Here: Hinduism - Sacred-Texts (Part 1 and Part II)
Don't go for the big ones at the moment. Try the smaller ones and see if it interests you.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Out of curiosity, would you care to elaborate on why you don't consider them to be such? (is it perhaps because of the elements of bhakti in their spirituality?) And do you have an example of someone you would consider to be a more "hard-core" advaitin? I would be interested in learning more about them!
You are correct. It is because of Bhakti. A hard-core advaitist does not have any God, therefore, no bhakti.
I do know of any hard-core advaitists in history. Sankara and his parama-guru (Guru of the Guru - Gaudapada) were close to it but still gave space to God (they accepted existence of God as being another name for Brahman in the transactional world - Vyavaharika). Perhaps their circumstances did not allow them to take a categorical stand. But I am a hard-core on that.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. I am from Bengal where Durga and Kali are the main deities. The Durga Puja in Bengal is a sight to behold. My family and kin also have two Kali Temples whom our ancestors established around 250 years ago and that we manage. We are also closely associated (from my wife's side) with the Dakshineswar Kali temple which is quite famous in Kolkata.
UNESCO - Durga Puja in Kolkata
Dakshineswar Kali Temple - Wikipedia
You oughta make a thread about this at some point, when you have time. :)

Yes. I am from Bengal where Durga and Kali are the main deities. The Durga Puja in Bengal is a sight to behold. My family and kin also have two Kali Temples whom our ancestors established around 250 years ago and that we manage. We are also closely associated (from my wife's side) with the Dakshineswar Kali temple which is quite famous in Kolkata.
UNESCO - Durga Puja in Kolkata
Dakshineswar Kali Temple - Wikipedia
That's amazing! I've actually visited the Dakshineswar Kali Temple some years ago when I was in Kolkata briefly. A beautiful place! It was inspiring to walk the same grounds as sri Ramakrishna once did. And I would love to experience the Durga Puja some time. It's also a dream of mine to experience the Kumbh Mela once, as well as the Ramlila.

Last edited:
Yeah for the first part. For the second, you are missing a lot. Upanishads are a must read for understanding Hinduism. Some are extremely concise, Could be printed on an A4 page, one having just 18 verses. 10 of them are considered oldest and are known as 'Principal Upanishads'. Some add three more.
Here: Hinduism - Sacred-Texts (Part 1 and Part II)
Don't go for the big ones at the moment. Try the smaller ones and see if it interests you.
Thanks for the suggestion and the link, I'll definately give it a try! :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That's amazing! I've actually visited the Dakshineswar Kali Temple some years ago when I was in Kolkata briefly. A beautiful place! And I would love to experience the Durga Puja some time. It's also a dream of mine to experience the Kumbh Mela once, as well as the Ramlila.
And Ganeshotsava, and Holi, Diwali (Deepawali), Lohri, Onam, Pongal .. List here: Different state wise festivals in India
That is what we are doing all the year around. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Here, we use it to get rid of skunks under porches.
Just toss it in with them, & they scamper in terror.
Then the only problem is how to deal with all the
Swedes who move in under the porch.
If you stand nearby and yell out that it's 'mid-summer holiday time', they'll all bugger off to Spain.

You are correct. It is because of Bhakti. A hard-core advaitist does not have any God, therefore, no bhakti.
I do know of any hard-core advaitists in history. Sankara and his parama-guru (Guru of the Guru - Gaudapada) were close to it but still gave space to God (they accepted existence of God as being another name for Brahman in the transactional world - Vyavaharika). Perhaps their circumstances did not allow them to take a categorical stand. But I am a hard-core on that.
I see, thank you for your elaboration! :)

Speaking of Vyavaharika, I think the concept of three levels of reality is quite interesting, although I'm no expert on that theory/model.

But seeing that the human mind operates the way it does, creating mental representations, names and separate categories for the things it experience in order to be able to think about them (although this inner world of the mind may not be 'true' in an ultimate sense), perhaps on one level it can be seen as quite practical/functional for many people to have the idea of God, in order to be able to approach and commune with the totality of existence? Even though, on another level, one might think there is a more 'true', ultimate reality of oneness in which the concept of God becomes obsolete?

Best regards

Last edited:
Yeah, Brahman plays dice.
I really appreciate the concept of lila as well. If I understand it correctly, that the world as we see it is the result of the spontaneous, creative play of God, I think is a beautiful idea. That existence does not have to entail a grand plan or end goal, but rather that the process of coming into being in and of itself is the goal, like the play of a child, is an amazing way to view the world I think. ..but perhaps I'm reading too much into lila. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I really appreciate the concept of lila as well. If I understand it correctly, that the world as we see it is the result of the spontaneous, creative play of God, I think is a beautiful idea. That existence does not have to entail a grand plan or end goal, but rather that the process of coming into being in and of itself is the goal, like the play of a child, is an amazing way to view the world I think. ..but perhaps I'm reading too much into lila. :)
'Leela' is more than that according to Hindu theists (I am a Hindu atheist). They say Deities create (not just one God, but many Gods and Goddesses) 'leela' to instruct people. For example, the defeat of Ravana illustrates the victory of principles against dictatorship. It has a well defined purpose and that we should learn from them.