• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hell on Earth

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

I am convinced we are in hell. We live in a dystopia. The bits and pieces of good and non suffering that some people experience is not indicative of reality.

A Gaza child may not ever know a moment of peace or non suffering. This is no exaggeration, but a constant reality for many. Then in the end, crushed to death by a food drop.

Take your platitudes and shove em up your you know where. We are in hell. The fact that many of us do not experience the brunt of the hellfire, but instead contribute to it, does not mean that we are not all here. It's a sick joke.

What do I want to debate? Well, perhaps it would be nice to be convinced otherwise that we don't live in a literal dystopia that is literal hell. Oh, I call it hell because I suppose there are cosmic beings who have their hand in our suffering, fanning the flames here presently here on Earth. We don't have to die and go over to hell. We can simply live here on Earth and the devil comes to us and brings literal hell here. That's my logic. We are literally in hell.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

I am convinced we are in hell. We live in a dystopia. The bits and pieces of good and non suffering that some people experience is not indicative of reality.

A Gaza child may not ever know a moment of peace or non suffering. This is no exaggeration, but a constant reality for many. Then in the end, crushed to death by a food drop.

Take your platitudes and shove em up your you know where. We are in hell. The fact that many of us do not experience the brunt of the hellfire, but instead contribute to it, does not mean that we are not all here. It's a sick joke.

What do I want to debate? Well, perhaps it would be nice to be convinced otherwise that we don't live in a literal dystopia that is literal hell. Oh, I call it hell because I suppose there are cosmic beings who have their hand in our suffering, fanning the flames here presently here on Earth. We don't have to die and go over to hell. We can simply live here on Earth and the devil comes to us and brings literal hell here. That's my logic. We are literally in hell.
The rich man and Lazarus - He was aware of his torment. Is it a sick joke, though or is this all a prelude to something greater? I learned to not touch hot stoves. I've learned that warm baths with Eucalyptus and mint bath salts feel great. They smell great too. They make me feel great also. I've learned that I should look both ways before crossing and to honor a few things needing to be honored. These include hot stoves and busy highways. Maybe we'll figure it out one day. Until then, we'll keep getting what we've always gotten.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Time to grow up. You remember the parable of the blind men and the elephant?

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. The first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said, "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, "is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

Well, if you look at only one tiny piece of the world, and suppose that all the rest of the world is just like the tiny bit you're looking at, then you would know very little about the world. But if you look elsewhere, say Mercer Island in Seattle, you might see a small bit of heaven. Visit the British Museum, or the Prado in Madrid or the Louvre in Paris, and you might see a world full of the beauty and cultures that the creativity of man has wrought.

The truth is, we are just here, on our little world in the grand universe, making what we can of it, and sometimes failing badly at it.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Well, if you look at only one tiny piece of the world, and suppose that all the rest of the world is just like the tiny bit you're looking at, then you would know very little about the world. But if you look elsewhere, say Mercer Island in Seattle, you might see a small bit of heaven. Visit the British Museum, or the Prado in Madrid or the Louvre in Paris, and you might see a world full of the beauty and cultures that the creativity of man has wrought.
The magnificence of man, such as art, is way overshadowed by the monstrosity that man brings about. How can I enjoy a pretty picture while at the same time I'm doing that, a Gaza civilian is being blown up elsewhere in the world. I suppose I can allow myself to be desensitized and out of tune with reality like everyone else...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't convince you this isn't Hell... (I'm not so sure myself.)

However, when I was a kid, a friend's mother told me Hell was only a horrible place because people in it were so selfish. This may have just been a simple story to tell a small child, but it has ruminated in my mind ever since.

If we're all in Hell, we oughta try to be as unselfish as we can, just to brighten things up for the others that are trapped in Hell, too. If we all did, maybe this place wouldn't be so bad...

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The magnificence of man, such as art, is way overshadowed by the monstrosity that man brings about. How can I enjoy a pretty picture while at the same time I'm doing that, a Gaza civilian is being blown up elsewhere in the world. I suppose I can allow myself to be desensitized and out of tune with reality like everyone else...
That's a good point. It's easy to get caught up in a happy and joyous, almost heavenly life if you actually have one. I don't think it's a desensitization so much as a turned eye. Truth is, we're here. We have an opportunity to contribute something...or not. Typically, a person would think they're better off turning the eye away from the tragedy, but what happens then? Nothing really changes and life goes on the same as it always has before, specifically due to lack of involvement or concern. This leaves our offspring in a very vulnerable position, paying for our shortcomings.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
If we're all in Hell, we oughta try to be as unselfish as we can, just to brighten things up for the others that are trapped in Hell, too. If we all did, maybe this place wouldn't be so bad...
I am optimistic that we can forge a way out of this hell, through things like being unselfish. I don't know if that belief has come to me out of personal necessity (giving my life some optimism, greater purpose, and personal hope for myself and all), or if the belief is indicative of my intuitive interpretation of reality.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Your concern about another's hell is a touch of heaven. Let that grow and flourish. If enough of us stoke our personal fires of heaven, together we can hold back the flames of hell. The problem is sitting back and doing nothing while hell fire spreads. We might not be able to fight those big fires, but we are all certainly able to burn fire breaks around our communities to guard against outside sparks, and we can watch for smoke inside our breaks and deal with those flames early.

Both heaven and hell on Earth are raging passions. We decide if we feed our passions for love of all, or only ourselves.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
The rich man and Lazarus - He was aware of his torment. Is it a sick joke, though or is this all a prelude to something greater? I learned to not touch hot stoves. I've learned that warm baths with Eucalyptus and mint bath salts feel great. They smell great too. They make me feel great also. I've learned that I should look both ways before crossing and to honor a few things needing to be honored. These include hot stoves and busy highways. Maybe we'll figure it out one day. Until then, we'll keep getting what we've always gotten.
How many times must we tumble before we learn to walk? My fear is we will somehow drown in our pursuit of flight.

All of this suffering is a prelude to whatever lies ahead. And I don't think what lies ahead is set in stone. But I do think we are suffering needlessly. We could end war today through force of will if enough humans wanted. There is no physical law like gravity forcing us to kill each other... We can rise above it, but we don't.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am optimistic that we can forge a way out of this hell, through things like being unselfish. I don't know if that belief has come to me out of personal necessity (giving my life some optimism, greater purpose, and personal hope for myself and all), or if the belief is indicative of my intuitive interpretation of reality.
I'm not really optimistic anymore... But I think we still oughta try.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
How many times must we tumble before we learn to walk? My fear is we will somehow drown in our pursuit of flight.

All of this suffering is a prelude to whatever lies ahead. And I don't think what lies ahead is set in stone. But I do think we are suffering needlessly. We could end war today through force of will if enough humans wanted. There is no physical law like gravity forcing us to kill each other... We can rise above it, but we don't.
It's something isn't it? I think it starts with a self-realization, then on to deliberating between choices. Care isn't a one way street but is a very congested way of life. Between self, family, community, country, world, universe, future and the present day, it gets complicated as to which might be the better choice. Small things matter, though.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Existence is totally indifferent to the plight of life. No one has God ability to fix it all, but we can strive for better with the little bit we can do.

It all happens to monsters, and the charitable alike, every bad thing.

Some people don't get even one moment of a good life. Some children get no choices at all.

I don't see how anyone can spiritualize that justice is apart of life on Earth; that there's an overall grande goal to existence.

I cannot blame people for being inspired by beauty or having to enjoy things in the face of such senseless destruction, and tragedy. But to choose not to care in such a desperate existence makes things worse for everyone. Most poor people only have time to work to survive and exist another day. It takes power to make improvements.

It takes good will to make a difference.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Are you finding yourself in a lake of fire. I believe not.

PearlSeeker

What is true: the cup is half empty or the cup is half full? Yes, for some people life is hell in this moment. If you say only this is reality and a little piece of heaven some people experience is not, then you apply double standards. And vice versa.

The battle against violence begins in one's own heart. Some things are my (direct) responsibility and some things are not and have to be accepted as they are. Take for example parenting. If others are bad parents I can't do much about it but I can do very much with my parenting. Sometimes my responsibility to others is just to set a good example but sometimes it's more, e. g. if there is extreme violence in the neighbor's house - in this case my part of responsibility is to call the police...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We are literally in hell.

There is violence in this world that can seem like hell to those suffering it and I've been in another hell with anguish and pain but no bombs. Trust me, the life mr and mrs average lives in nothing like.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

So hell is a recurrent event on Earth? Given that I suspect those who were alive during WWII and witnessed the destruction and deaths in their own country, and in others, might feel/have felt much the same, with so many other wars also being much the same for those who died or those who lost their loved ones. All wars are simply horrible, and especially so for civilians - so why do we vote for them? Oh, we don't. :oops:

Ajax

Welcome to reality!
As long as species have been evolving, species have been going extinct. It is estimated that over 99% of all species that ever lived are extinct.
We are the very few lucky ones. The universe is a very violent place.
There have been five mass extinctions in Earth's history

Last edited:

chinu

chinu

"Rest in peace" is the term/verse which is very oftenly used when someone meets a death on this earth and in-general people believe that there's no any rebirth after this death. Contrary to this - death of the body isn't a complete death which I have experienced through a meditation practice and came onto the conclusion that a new body is acquired over and again each time until one "Rest in peace", or "Merge into God"

In true terms "Rest in peace" is equal to "Rest in God" like a drop merging into the sea, which is the final death.

A certain experience through a meditation-practice is the foundation if someone truly wants to know about God. Or, in some rare cases people acquires the same experience which is the result of near-death-experience happened due to some serious-illness, or an accident in life which becomes a blessing thereafter.

Yes we are in hell until "Rest in peace"
I agree :)