• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heart, Soul, Mind

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From a spiritual perspective.

What's the difference between heart, soul, and mind?
I'd say ─

The heart is shorthand for the emotions eg hard-hearted, tender-hearted.

The soul is shorthand for the quality of being alive, a dream of the independence of an imagined life-force from the reality of the physical brain and body, hence a dream of independence from mortality.

The mind is shorthand for a not very clearly specified collection of mental functions, including intellect, conscious thought, memory and emotion.

Last edited:

MatthewA

All I know is that the heart, mind, emotion is part of the soul.

What do you mean anything spiritual about the heart/mind? God can renew our mind, and hearts: (Romans 2:12-16; Jeremiah 31:33, Ezekiel 36:26, Ezekiel 11:19, Hebrews 8:10)

The soul is spirit it is what was breathed life (soul/spirit of man) into Adam by God when Adam became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7)

Evil Thoughts come from The heart: According to Jesus Christ: (Matthew 15:18-20); (Mark 5:1-20)

The mind: (Mark 5:1-20) ~ A healing of a demon possessed man by Jesus Christ ~ My thoughts though on the mind are it has thoughts, and memories, it is what we react with when we make a choice then use our body to perform whatever choice it it.

Is there anything spiritual about these things? To me no but there is a spirit (holy spirit - different than the spirit of man) that can be received from, God by and through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ that produces these things in a person life. (Galatians 5 flesh vs spiritual nature).

These are some of my theological thoughts using scripture says, and the Lord Jesus Christ, though people may disagree with it or find it not untrue or not real which is fine. Be mindful that it is possible for me to be wrong.

Take care ~ Thank you.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
From a spiritual perspective. What's the difference between heart, soul, and mind?

We know we have a literal heart but also a spiritual heart - the seat of motivation.
Because of our fallen flesh, we have a treacherous heart.- Jeremiah 17:9
the heart tells us to do something, and after we do it the heart gives us all the reasons why what we did we should Not have done in the first place.
We think with one's mind, hopefully with a sound mind.
Some people's minds are so far wide open that one would think their brains could fall out.
Adam became a ' living soul ' (or person) -Genesis 2:7
As death Adam became a ' dead soul ', or person .
Adam went from non-life, to life, and ' returned ' back to non-life.- Genesis 3:19
A person can 'Not return' to a place he never was before. Adam simply went back to where he started - dust.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What i mean is that the spiritual heart, soul and mind are in an other dimension but it is placed where our physical heart is. (in my understandings human beings exist in more than one dimension )
Interesting above, but in Scripture Adam only existed in one dimension - Earth.
All of Adam was only offered 'everlasting life on Earth' (No where else)
Adam was fashioned or formed from earth's dust, and dead Adam returned back to dust - Gen. 2:7; 3:19.
So, in the Bible humans exist in just one dimension.
Some resurrected to Heaven like the people of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18.
The majority of people to have a future happy-and-healthy physical resurrection on Earth - Acts of the Apostles 24:15

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Interesting above, but in Scripture Adam only existed in one dimension - Earth.
All of Adam was only offered 'everlasting life on Earth' (No where else)
Adam was fashioned or formed from earth's dust, and dead Adam returned back to dust - Gen. 2:7; 3:19.
So, in the Bible humans exist in just one dimension.
Some resurrected to Heaven like the people of Luke 22:28-30; Daniel 7:18.
The majority of people to have a future happy-and-healthy physical resurrection on Earth - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
It seems like sufism and christianity have different understandings about this :)

idea

Question Everything
Not from any ancient teachings, but when I hear the words to me it would be Soul = mind + heart, that soul is a a combination of all the intangible spiritual parts of ourselves.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We know we have a literal heart but also a spiritual heart - the seat of motivation.
Because of our fallen flesh, we have a treacherous heart.- Jeremiah 17:9
the heart tells us to do something, and after we do it the heart gives us all the reasons why what we did we should Not have done in the first place.
We think with one's mind, hopefully with a sound mind.
Some people's minds are so far wide open that one would think their brains could fall out.
Adam became a ' living soul ' (or person) -Genesis 2:7
As death Adam became a ' dead soul ', or person .
Adam went from non-life, to life, and ' returned ' back to non-life.- Genesis 3:19
A person can 'Not return' to a place he never was before. Adam simply went back to where he started - dust.

Heart is emotions like a gut feeling and soul is a person?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What i mean is that the spiritual heart, sould and mind are in an other dimension but it is placed where our physical heart is. (in my understandings human beings exist in more than one dimension )

You lost me I'm afraid. :(

Wisdom (the spiritual heart) and mind (how do you define it?) is where the heart is but not literally there?

I guess a way to put it is if you have a passion for something or love someone and that passion dies or that loved one passes away, you get a pain in your heart both physical and emotional and many times spiritual (that interconnection has dropped). Is that what you mean by "on top" the physical heart?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You lost me I'm afraid. :(

Wisdom (the spiritual heart) and mind (how do you define it?) is where the heart is but not literally there?

I guess a way to put it is if you have a passion for something or love someone and that passion dies or that loved one passes away, you get a pain in your heart both physical and emotional and many times spiritual (that interconnection has dropped). Is that what you mean by "on top" the physical heart?
I have to think of a better way to explain it, but other dimension means not in our physical word

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I can't find a specific reference to the spiritual heart. Can you give me some context or place you'd like me to focus on?

It's a good read.
“Swami, when the human body is cut or injured, it has the capacity to heal itself in most cases… like a scratch or a cut. But when a heart is broken it sometimes never heals. What is this thing we call heartbreak… heartache?”

Swami said, “What you do not understand is that you have two hearts. Heart on the left is a pump. Its duty is to pump the blood. Heart on left is full of desires; desires lodge in the muscle tissue of the heart and cause you pain. Too much pain brings heart problems and circulation difficulties.
To the right of the physical heart is the spiritual heart.” He pointed to the centre of His chest about seven inches directly below His Adam’s apple.

“It is atomic in size. It is the only point of positive energy in the body. Blood, brain, skin, muscle, organs, bone, etc. are negative, negative, negative. They are all negative energy; they will not last.”
“Within the body, purified by the Vayu and the Agni (Breath and Fire of Love) resides the Spiritual Heart, atomic in size.”
- Srimad Bhagavatham

“Even he, who you were treating as your worst enemy, has the self-same light in his inner heart. Know that that same jyothi(Divine Flame) or light, is inside us all.”
- Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba

idea

Question Everything
Do you have a distinct definition of soul?

All words are just symbols, fingers pointing to the moon. Soul is the spark that makes you you, not what you look like, not anything about your physical body, to me it represents the intangible timeless part of who we are, character, personality, heart, mind, hopes and dreams - this is our soul.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Heart is the capacity to love, hate, care, or be ambivalent, neutral, or objective

Mind is your capacity to reason, comprehend, identify, conceptualize, to know, to be aware, to remember, to consider, and to be objective.

Will emanates from the heart, and manifests in desires and motivations.

Soul is the unity of personality, heart, mind, and will in a single identity of self personhood.

It's no surprise that the soul, heart, mind, and will change often from moment to moment, day to day with temporal states of being. But there are also permanent, and never changing conditions that can arise when we have convictions, or feelings in the heart that never change.

Personality is the methods, habits, inspirations, of self expression that motivate the individual.

Identity is the unified I that goes beyond self definition