• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heart, Soul, Mind

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
From a spiritual perspective.

What's the difference between heart, soul, and mind?
in my understanding according to the sufi teaching
Spiritually speaking the heart is not the physical heart but the spiritual heart is placed at the same place as the physical heart, the spiritual heart contain the deeper intelligence and wisdom.

The soul/spirit is also placed in this area and it sits "on top" of the physical heart.

The mind is actually not in the physically brain, but the mind also sits around the spiritual heart. So you see to a sufi all happens from the spiritual heart and not the brain (brain is only a organic computer that translate the message from the spiritual heart, soul and mind.

Oh boy i looking forward to the difficult questions :p

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
From a spiritual perspective.

What's the difference between heart, soul, and mind?

Heart, a muscular organ, an organic blood pump,

Soul, dunno, never encountered one

Mind, the part of an animal that allows them to think and be aware of their environment

Spirituality, i have no idea what some people attribute to them

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
From a spiritual perspective?

What's an ethereal realm?

So I used the brain, heart and body (really gut), because if I am remembering correctly there are small amounts of neurological matter in the heart, and gut, that tie it to the brain (not just nerves).

The Mind is one soul aspect located within the brain, the Heart is another soul aspect, as is the Body. These three form a shell around our Spiritual Soul/center (located also within the brain) that which is connected to the Ethereal realm (where the Gods exist).

Ethereal realm, Spiritual realm, same same to me. It is the non-physical aspect of reality, imo.

Edit: Physical reality is as important a part of the Spiritual as the non-physical.

Edit 2: Essentially what I am getting at is the heart, mind, body, Soul. Are all singular sides of a complete Soul.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So I used the brain, heart and body (really gut), because if I am remembering correctly there are small amounts of neurological matter in the heart, and gut, that tie it to the brain (not just nerves).

The Mind is one soul aspect located within the brain, the Heart is another soul aspect, as is the Body. These three form a shell around our Spiritual Soul/center (located also within the brain) that which is connected to the Ethereal realm (where the Gods exist).

Ethereal realm, Spiritual realm, same same to me. It is the non-physical aspect of reality, imo.

Edit: Physical reality is as important a part of the Spiritual as the non-physical.

Edit 2: Essentially what I am getting at is the heart, mind, body, Soul. Are all singular sides of a complete Soul.

That went over my head. I'm pretty simple with the mystics. Least I think. I thought of it like this:

Made up example.

I show my gratitude by doing things for others (body)
I believe that gratitude helps me to be thankful of why I'm alive (mind)
My motivation/passion/spirit moves me to be and act in gratitude (spirit)
I am a grateful person spiritually (soul)

Maybe heart has to do with emotions, I don't know.

But as part of one soul, that wouldn't make sense unless soul means identity?

"Mind, heart. and body is part of one soul"

How do you define soul in this context?
Is there a more concrete definition?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That went over my head. I'm pretty simple with the mystics. Least I think. I thought of it like this:

Made up example.

I show my gratitude by doing things for others (body)
I believe that gratitude helps me to be thankful of why I'm alive (mind)
My motivation/passion/spirit moves me to be and act in gratitude (spirit)
I am a grateful person spiritually (soul)

Maybe heart has to do with emotions, I don't know.

But as part of one soul, that wouldn't make sense unless soul means identity?

"Mind, heart. and body is part of one soul"

How do you define soul in this context?
Is there a more concrete definition?

I liked your steps, and it certainly can work like that :).

I define Soul as, the energetic connections between parts of the body, and/or the energetic component of the body itself. Soul and electricity have some things in common I think.

The Soul is the non-physical part of our existence (which includes parts of our identity/reactions, but not quite our personality entirely). Like a star, the Soul has its center in the mind, and facets of it radiate outward to fill the voids of heart mind and body. During death these things systematically retreat within as the body shuts down, returning to the Soul seat, before well, who knows :) ?

The Soul can also be manipulated through meditation, to draw the parts back to the Center, for what is essentially a reset; or it can be held or moved between the varying stages (Body, Heart, Mind, then lastly only Soul).

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Spiritual doesn't necessarily mean non-material. For me spiritual practice is about overall wellness, mental, emotional, physical. So for me heart, soul and mind are alliterations with a lot of overlap. Heart referring to our state of emotional self, mind our state of mental self. Soul isn't a term use often but if I use the alliteration 'that hurts my soul' I'm usually referring to something that's a core part of my identity.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
in my understanding according to the sufi teaching

Spiritually speaking the heart is not the physical heart but the spiritual heart is placed at the same place as the physical heart, the spiritual heart contain the deeper intelligence and wisdom.

The soul/spirit is also placed in this area and it sits "on top" of the physical heart.

The mind is actually not in the physically brain, but the mind also sits around the spiritual heart. So you see to a sufi all happens from the spiritual heart and not the brain (brain is only a organic computer that translate the message from the spiritual heart, soul and mind.

Oh boy i looking forward to the difficult questions :p

I had to read this a couple of times.... and a couple more.

1. I can't decipher what you mean. Spiritual heart (wisdom) is placed on top of the physical heart (so I'm assuming you 'feel' it in your chest in respects)?

2. Where does the mind (or what is it) in relation to the spiritual heart?

3. The way you describe spiritual heart, I would think that is how people describe the soul. You're saying "on top", what does that mean?

Don't worry. I'm not grading you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I define Soul as, the energetic connections between parts of the body, and/or the energetic component of the body itself. Soul and electricity have some things in common I think.

Hmm. I would call that spirit since spirit, I guess even by definition, is always in motion, and, how to say, I don't know, one's energy (or electricity?).

The Soul is the non-physical part of our existence (which includes parts of our identity/reactions, but not quite our personality entirely). Like a star, the Soul has its center in the mind, and facets of it radiate outward to fill the voids of heart mind and body. During death these things systematically retreat within as the body shuts down, returning to the Soul seat, before well, who knows :) ?

Lost me I'm afraid.

The energetic non-physical part of our existence is the core of the mind and it fills up the mind and body... so the soul is the electrical current of the mind and body?

Soul seat?
Once the mind and body goes, how does the soul "live"?

The Soul can also be manipulated through meditation, to draw the parts back to the Center, for what is essentially a reset; or it can be held or moved between the varying stages (Body, Heart, Mind, then lastly only Soul).

I haven't experienced the soul through various stages, but I would think the soul would be the center. If talking about electrical current, I'd call that spirit and maybe the center you're speaking of, I may call that soul.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I had to read this a couple of times.... and a couple more.

1. I can't decipher what you mean. Spiritual heart (wisdom) is placed on top of the physical heart (so I'm assuming you 'feel' it in your chest in respects)?

2. Where does the mind (or what is it) in relation to the spiritual heart?

3. The way you describe spiritual heart, I would think that is how people describe the soul. You're saying "on top", what does that mean?

Don't worry. I'm not grading you.
What i mean is that the spiritual heart, sould and mind are in an other dimension but it is placed where our physical heart is. (in my understandings human beings exist in more than one dimension )