• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Heart, Soul, Mind

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Spiritual heart sounds like the soul. Is the right/left analogies of the body and and soul or maybe higher and lower self? I had to read it by audio.
Yes, that's how I also see it

All these words (Spiritual Heart, Soul, Atma, Energy, Great Unknown, God, Allah, Buddha, Christ, Ahura Mazda, Brahma, etc.) are used to describe THAT which is beyond words

Although not accurate nor complete, it keeps us open and alert for the mystery of Life. Slowly we get more pieces of the Puzzle.

Clara Tea

From a spiritual perspective.

What's the difference between heart, soul, and mind?

Ancient Greeks thought that the mind was in the stomach (makes sense if you get a stomach ache when upset).

The heart and mind (in this context) are the same. Though it seems that the heart is more like compassion.

The soul is immortal and lives on, long after the mind dies, but contains the knowledge of the mind, supposedly. The mind resides in the brain (the physical organ that records memory). The mind is the complicated interconnection of neurons that store and interconnect memories.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, that's how I also see it

All these words (Spiritual Heart, Soul, Atma, Energy, Great Unknown, God, Allah, Buddha, Christ, Ahura Mazda, Brahma, etc.) are used to describe THAT which is beyond words

Although not accurate nor complete, it keeps us open and alert for the mystery of Life. Slowly we get more pieces of the Puzzle.

Does it really need to be a mystery to call it god (soul, etc). My perspective isn't really a "Great Mystery" one. One way personifying the unknown to understand it helps. In another, to me it feels like bypassing the point.

I use spirit actually cause it's a motion/verb that keeps us going rather than a mystery to solve such as what you listed. Maybe the pieces are there just we keep thinking they are hidden. "Buddha nature."

I like @The Hammer analogy of electricity. The act of a verb rather than the nature of a noun.

stvdv

Does it really need to be a mystery to call it god (soul, etc). My perspective isn't really a "Great Mystery" one. One way personifying the unknown to understand it helps. In another, to me it feels like bypassing the point.
As long as it still is a mystery, I call it mystery. You are free to call it differently

Last edited:

stvdv

I use spirit actually cause it's a motion/verb that keeps us going rather than a mystery to solve such as what you listed. Maybe the pieces are there just we keep thinking they are hidden. "Buddha nature."

I like @The Hammer analogy of electricity. The act of a verb rather than the nature of a noun.
I am realistic here. The Universe is beyond my grasp, hence calling it mystery is an act of humility to me. If everything gets solved I will stop calling it mystery

wellwisher

The soul is analogous to our memory. Our memory defines the unique person who we are. It has a record of the good and bad we have done. If the soul was eternal, a record of you would exist for all time in the ethereal cloud. In science fiction, if you could transplant your brain onto another stronger body, you would appear again, with a new body, since your soul/memory will create a continuity for consciousness.

In tradition, the soul is static. It becomes animated via the spirit. Our cerebral memory is static, and does not become active/conscious, unless it is stimulated; action of the spirit on the soul. Like in computers, the computer's memory may contain gigs of data, but this data remains static and only becomes triggered and active when the spirit of the processor requests specific data.

Heart and mind are two aspects of the human spirit, both of which can animate the soul. The heart is connected to emotions and intuitions. The data processing of the heart can be felt as physical sensations in the body, such as subtle sensations in the heart. Typically, the heart is connected to right brain processing, creating feedback to the body, that can be felt as body sensations; gut feeling. One can learn to interpret this feedback to the body, using the feelings and sensations as spirit, that triggers the soul; learn to spot the memory correlations to sensations. Puppies and kittens can give you a warm feeling in your heart.

The mind is connected to intellect; reason and inference. This type of processing is done primarily in the left hemisphere of the brain. It too can process realty or sensory data in real time, as well as animate the soul. We may be in a new situation and through reason and inference, we will animate our memory to create a parallel between the new and the old.

Besides the human spirits of the heart and mind, there are also animal spirits connected to our body. These animal spirits are connected to our instincts. For example, if you start to feel hungry, due to a feedback loop in the body, his instinctive feeling can induce your soul; animate memories of food. As you ponder these options, the best feeling in your heart may be your first choice, today. While the mind may decide you need to cut calories and will trigger an alternate memory in the soul.

Divine spirits not only animate the soul, but can add data to the soul; creativity adding new memories to the soul. The Spirit of Truth; Holy Spirit, adds new ideas and revelations to memory, that were not previously part of the soul; living spirit. The ancients were describing how the brain and consciousness works at a time before science They used memory activation and self observation. They then broke this data down into various categories; divine, human and animal spirits and the soul.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Heart is the organ which pumps blood in the body. Soul is a supposed imaginary personal entity. And mind is the result of working of the brain.
IMHO, any perspective other than this is unfounded.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am realistic here. The Universe is beyond my grasp, hence calling it mystery is an act of humility to me. If everything gets solved I will stop calling it mystery

Not specifically you. I mentioned myself and us (as a generalization) to talk about my insight of maybe the "point" is not a mystery. Rather than personalizing the unknown (again, not you), we can accept the I don't know rather than solve the puzzle. For me personally (not speaking of anyone else), I found rather than mystery (I never believed there is something or even someone greater than myself), everything already is there just I haven't experienced it all yet. So, instead of finding the "truth" to life I'd put together the existences of my experiences. It makes it a bit fun to discover who you (you-as in people in general) are in regards to known experiences than who you are because of the mystery thereof.

I like insights. You-in this case people in general. I can't figure the English grammar rule for it since you can be used for anything. Us-meaning "as a humanity" but to whom it does not apply doesn't need to take it seriously (again, talking in general).

stvdv

I was only reflecting. I was thinking more it not being a mystery not different names for it.

It wasn't an opposition. Just an insight
:(
I agree with that.

I started out saying that it can't be put in words

Words are only used so we can speak about it

Conversation w/o words is not easy, though the Saints declare that this is the only way to convey Truth:cool:

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ancient Greeks thought that the mind was in the stomach (makes sense if you get a stomach ache when upset).

The heart and mind (in this context) are the same. Though it seems that the heart is more like compassion.

The soul is immortal and lives on, long after the mind dies, but contains the knowledge of the mind, supposedly. The mind resides in the brain (the physical organ that records memory). The mind is the complicated interconnection of neurons that store and interconnect memories.

What is the nature of the soul that holds the mind's knowledge?

Since the soul contains the knowledge of the mind, I'd assume knowledge lives on after you die but the memories die with the mind of the brain?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Heart is the organ which pumps blood in the body. Soul is a supposed imaginary personal entity. And mind is the result of working of the brain.
IMHO, any perspective other than this is unfounded.

Do you see other definitions of the soul that you came across?

I haven't heard it solely as a personal entity. Rather, it's one's identity (something of the mind and neurons of the brain). The mysticism of it really depends on how much a person relates him or herself to their purpose, charity, fidelity, and the like. It goes beyond the mystic labels.

Unfounded, maybe. Interesting nonetheless.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I agree with that.

I started out saying that it can't be put in words

Words are only used so w cane speak about it

Conversation w/o words is not easy, though the Saints declare that this is the only way to convey Truth:cool:

I also wondered why saints and prophets are idolized but people today are not (maybe except mother Teresa, I guess).

Why do some of us have that mindset that some people in the past regardless the generation are much smarter, more divine, and so forth than we are?

Do we give ourselves some credit as much that we give the prophets?

stvdv

I also wondered why saints and prophets are idolized but people today are not (maybe except mother Teresa, I guess).
Seems clear to me from above quote

Why do some of us have that mindset that some people in the past regardless the generation are much smarter, more divine, and so forth than we are?
Simpel. Not many people act divine. Only very few control themselves, hence from all those past few thousands of years (2500) only a few (50) are remembered and hence in this short generation time span (25 years) there will be hardly any (1/2, so none)

Do we give ourselves some credit as much that we give the prophets
After meeting a prophet one understands why they are called prophet, and after doing some introspection one understand if one is a real prophet or not

We have had a few on RF, calling themselves Jesus or God. It's very easy to call yourself Jesus, but not easy to act like Jesus (the word vs action difference)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Seems clear to me from above quote

Simpel. Not many people act divine. Only very few control themselves, hence from all those past few thousands of years (2500) only a few (50) are remembered and hence in this short generation time span (25 years) there will be hardly any (1/2, so none)

After meeting a prophet one understands why they are called prophet, and after doing some introspection one understand if one is a real prophet or not

We have had a few on RF, calling themselves Jesus or God. It's very easy to call yourself Jesus, but not easy to act like Jesus (the word vs action difference)

I have a feeling if the divine prophets exist today no one would believe them. People in BC, AD, and CE people are all human so maybe we just think to less of ourselves. It's easier to believe in history than the present.

In the bible, the Jews didn't given jesus the time and day. But I'm sure they uplifted their ancestors. I honestly don't do that since if I did I would have to apply that same criteria today. If people were divine then I'd hope if there is such a thing it wouldn't stop short.

No one has ever answered the time gap question. They just say they are divine because of X but for some reason can't explain why "god stopped talking."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you see other definitions of the soul that you came across?
I haven't heard it solely as a personal entity. Rather, it's one's identity (something of the mind and neurons of the brain).
The mysticism of it really depends on how much a person relates him or herself to their purpose, charity, fidelity, and the like. It goes beyond the mystic labels.
What has charity and fidelity to do with this? Can one who does not believe in existence of soul, not be charitable or loyal?
I am not a mystic, so I do not go hyperbolic on mysticism. Neurons and thinking of the brain (mind) do not prove existence of soul.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What has charity and fidelity to do with this? Can one who does not believe in existence of soul, not be charitable or loyal?
I am not a mystic, so I do not go hyperbolic on mysticism. Neurons and thinking of the brain (mind) do not prove existence of soul.

Was just wondering if you had insight. I have insight about god but I don't believe it exist. It's just like any other abstract or philosophical topic. We don't have to agree nor believe in something to see it in different light. If we are not attached to the belief in mysticism, there's no harm talking about it.