• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you read the whole Bible?

Orionis

I mean every page. And if you have, how long did it take for you to do that?

man-reading-scripture.jpg

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Yes, it took a long time. A little everyday, took about a year. Including the Apocrypha.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did a program in Bible college where we read six chapters per day. Took about 6 months or so, I recall. That's what led me to question the religion, seeing the mindsets reflected in the Old Testament; God sending bears to eat naughty children and stuff like that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not too very long, though I don't remember exactly how long. Ironically, and to me fortunately, I did this as my faith was wavering and did it to strengthen and affirm my faith. However, it resulted in me realizing things I could not reconcile (genocide, slavery, misogyny, child abuse, and such hatred and anger over trivial and petty things), left me realizing things were not as I had been lead to believe, and reading the Bible completely obliterated my faith.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I never deliberately tried to read the Bible, but over a period of fifty years plus I read the Bible, many of the books repeatedly in an organized manner. Just reading the Bible is not meaningful. I have read the Bible and most important, did comprehensive study of the Bible from a Jewish, Christian, and secular historical perspective. I have also studied the related Quran, Zoroastrian, and ancient Babylonian and Ugarit/Canaanite texts.

On my computer I keep an annotated comparison of many of the books from different perspectives.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Except to those for which it is. But, shucks, why give them any consideration?

Classic misunderstanding and over statement.

The key is 'just reading,' and makes no assumptions as there are those who study with an attempt to understand and incorporate sources and consultation outside the Bible.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would love to read the whole thing as I tried to read the Lotus Sutra. The bible makes me sick to my stomach. The gospels are alright. New Testament, I don't have too much of a problem with. Exodus and Leviticus gave me a headache of all the different measuring and ways to sacrifice animals. It did made me understand why Catholics do what they do and how what they do relates to scripture. When I got to Joshua, I got bored. I think there was a war or something coming about.

I liked Proverbs because it was short and not wordy. Psalms was too long to get through the second time. It took me a long while when I read and studied it at first. Hebrews is a good book about faith. Romans about the christian faith. Acts is a good book about Catholicism. That was a good read. (Mostly, I read it to learn about Catholicism the second time around). Ecclesiastics is my favorite book. The second time, I didn't get through the other books.

I may, one day, after I finish the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus is much more people-friendly, instructional, and has better lessons.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Did a program in Bible college where we read six chapters per day. Took about 6 months or so, I recall. That's what led me to question the religion, seeing the mindsets reflected in the Old Testament; God sending bears to eat naughty children and stuff like that.

I think you misunderstood the meaning of bears children. Bears means to carry children like a pregnant woman does. I see a lot of that but not much for bears chasing naughty children...

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
yes I have read the kjv 1611 bible, it took me 10 years off and on to stomach the thing. it's awful, with a few pretty quotes, bloody awful. paint drying, and pulling teeth is better than reading that book.

it seems like they create their myths from passing down stories generation to generation. each new author building off the last. talk about making up incoherent fables, this book does it. psychobabble at it's best.

eldios

I mean every page. And if you have, how long did it take for you to do that?

man-reading-scripture.jpg

No. It's not necessary for us servants of God to read the entire Bible but God had me read the New Testament for about 33 months before he stopped me from reading it. He made sure that I understood that no reader of the Bible has the correct interpretations of what they read in it. Only us servants who testify to His knowledge called Christ will understand the prophecies in the Bible when we learn what the Truth is and how it was created.

A Vestigial Mote

1 bear..1. Hardly a major theme.
Haha... and you didn't even read the passage I linked to. "two she-bears" - that makes 2 bears. 2. and they killed 42 young boys, which the text strongly suggests was an action of God due to the curse Elisha called upon them after they mocked him by calling him "baldy" or "bald-head" or some such.

So... a guy gets miffed that a bunch of KIDS are making fun of him, and decides to call forth the wrath of Jehovah (the text literally says he "cursed them in the name of Jehovah"), and Jehovah is implied to have obliged him the curse by killing all the boys with bears.

And when did anyone say it was (or needed to be) a "major theme?" The Bible is full of dumb crap like this - major theme or no, it's a mess of overlooked/ignored travesty and morally questionable actions by "God" and His "chosen" buddies.