• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you had to learn a language to participate in a religion?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I can't imagine not being able to read the Hebrew Scripture, in Hebrew. or not being fluent in Hebrew as a Jewish man.
reading the Bible in Hebrew is a 100% different experience than reading it in English.
however, in relation to the thread. I grew up with Hebrew, and learned English.

ohhcuppycakee

Hmm. Well, I learned how to read Arabic script to read Qur'an. It really helps with the pronunciation of the words. Transliteration is certainly not efficient.

Have you (or someone you know) ever had to face a new language in your religion of choice, such as having to learn a whole new language in order to participate?

I am curious of your experiences.

For example, did you have to stop with that religion or did you become more committed to it instead? Did you learn a language or just accept you may not understand?

I was raised Anglican and didn't have to learn a language.

-Gary

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yes, of course. I had to learn English to participate in the religion of Life. :)

-Troll answer-

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Have you (or someone you know) ever had to face a new language in your religion of choice, such as having to learn a whole new language in order to participate?

I am curious of your experiences.

For example, did you have to stop with that religion or did you become more committed to it instead? Did you learn a language or just accept you may not understand?

I learned to read Hebrew, I continue to learn to understand Hebrew. Hebrew is the sacred language of my religion. I cannot imagine being Jewish and not being immersed in learning Hebrew.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
When I was Eastern Orthodox, while it wasn't required, learning some Greek helped. Although nowadays, most Eastern Orthodox churches in the US use primarily English.