• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate Crimes - OK To Commit Say Some?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I consider intent important in a different way.
When the intended result is less than the result, that could be a mitigating factor.
Example: I saw friend Wirey in a bar, & punched him cuz I hate Canuckistanian oil shale workers.
1) I intended only a fat lip, but he died.
2) I intended to beat him to death, & he died.
3) Just like #2, but I yelled "I hate those hosers in Canuckistan!".
I argue that #1 should receive a lighter sentence than #2 & #3.
#2 & #3 should be the same sentence because same result & same intention.
Wirey objects to all 3 scenarios.

From this perspective, perhaps you should be tried for a hate crime, if this is the way the law works in regards to hate crimes. Because, your intentions were to harm Wirey because of your hatred for him because he's a Canuckistanian.

He's an individual, but he comes from the group that you have an issue with...you hateful person, you. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Don't be rude.
Rude is using semantics to dodge points.

And you aren't exactly known for being a paragon of courtesy, so you really haven't got much room to complain in the first place.

Now would you like to have an honest exchange of ideas, or did you just want to whine about how hate crime legislation is unfair?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Hard to call it hate crime without evidence that a) it was planned on the gay man and b) that it was because he was gay

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From this perspective, perhaps you should be tried for a hate crime, if this is the way the law works in regards to hate crimes. Because, your intentions were to harm Wirey because of your hatred for him because he's a Canuckistanian.
He's an individual, but he comes from the group that you have an issue with...you hateful person, you. :)
Yes, you're right.
I was actually uncomfortable writing those scenarios, especially since I like Canuckistanians & Wirey.
But it seemed even worse to pick people I disliked.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rude is using semantics to dodge points.
And you aren't exactly known for being a paragon of courtesy, so you really haven't got much room to complain in the first place.
Now would you like to have an honest exchange of ideas, or did you just want to whine about how hate crime legislation is unfair?
If you want to address my points, that is fine.
But when you make it nasty & personal, that is a rule violation.
I don't offer snarky opinions about you, & I ask for the same courtesy.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If you want to address my points, that is fine.
But when you make it nasty & personal, that is a rule violation.
I don't offer snarky opinions about you, & I ask for the same.
I've addressed every point you've made, and you've dodged every argument. You get what you give, dude.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've addressed every point you've made, and you've dodged every argument. You get what you give, dude.
To explain why you're abusive is not a justification for being abusive.
I'd like this recurring pattern to stop.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Ball's in your court. Respond to my points and I'll respond to yours. Treat me with respect, I'll return the favor. Till then, I repeat: You get what you give.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ball's in your court. Respond to my points and I'll respond to yours. Treat me with respect, I'll return the favor. Till then, I repeat: You get what you give.
That would be fair.
What would you like addressed?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wasn't talking about property crime, but hate speech.
I don't favor punishing hate speech, only real crimes.
There is great potential for repression when gov't acquires the power to punish thought crime.
To do so in conjunction with real crime is just the first step IMO.
Next, the mere expression of offensive speech would be restricted....IM(paranoid)O

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't favor punishing hate speech, only real crimes.
There is great potential for repression when gov't acquires the power to punish thought crime.
To do so in conjunction with real crime is just the first step IMO.
Next, the mere expression of offensive speech would be restricted....IM(paranoid)O
OK, that's a response. :)

I'll wait for you to reply to post 9, before answering in the interest of streamlining.