• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate Crimes - OK To Commit Say Some?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No. But not all crimes are hate crimes. This, from what I saw, simply wasn't.

From the article, the only reason the term "hate crime" was even raised was because the perp used slurs in the act. That's... not good enough.

If a woman kills her husband's mistress, it's not a hate crime because she yelled "****" as she pulled the trigger. Disturbed, violent people use disturbing, violent language, end of story.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. It's a crime, regardless.
Assault is still a crime, but the perps are exempt from additional punishment for "hate".
I'll tell yah, if someone beats me to a bloody pulp, I don't care whether it's out of
dispassionate sociopathy or hate....I think the crime is the same.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From the article, the only reason the term "hate crime" was even raised was because the perp used slurs in the act. That's... not good enough.
But if a stogie smoking redneck wearing a wife beater did the same deed & said the same, it would definitely be a hate crime.
Lesbians are inherently exempt from serving additional time for hating.

If a woman kills her husband's mistress, it's not a hate crime because she yelled "****" as she pulled the trigger. Disturbed, violent people use disturbing, violent language, end of story.
Sluts aren't a protected group. But frankly, I like them.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Assault is still a crime, but the perps are exempt from additional punishment for "hate".
I'll tell yah, if someone beats me to a bloody pulp, I don't care whether it's out of
Yeah, but if he did it because he doesn't like Scottish groundkeepers, wouldn't you jump at the opportunity to increase his sentence?

And hate crimes aren't always violent, either.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I like Storm's explanation. The article didn't suggest to me that this was a hate crime.

If there's reason to believe that the crime is a "hate" crime, then it should be treated as such. It's still an assault and it's hateful, but I don't think that this particular crime meets the definition of a sexual orientation-focused hate crime.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, but if he did it because he doesn't like Scottish groundkeepers, wouldn't you jump at the opportunity to increase his sentence?
Were I fueled by lust for retribution, then I'd jump at any chance to punish.
But we shouldn't enact laws based upon the wants of a rampaging vengeful Revoltistanian.
We're talking about public policy & what is just.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But if a stogie smoking redneck wearing a wife beater did the same deed & said the same, it would definitely be a hate crime.
I wouldn't consider that sufficient, either.

Lesbians are inherently exempt from serving additional time for hating.
Nope.

Sluts aren't a protected group. But frankly, I like them.
Women are; I consider the word **** to be a misogynistic slur, but I'm a bit hard nosed on that particular one. Sub the censored b-word if you like, the point remains the same.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Were I fueled by lust for retribution, then I'd jump at any chance to punish.
But we shouldn't enact laws based upon the wants of a rampaging vengeful Revoltistanian.
We're talking about public policy & what is just.
OK, let's back away from violent hate crimes then.

Should spray painting a swastika on a synagogue be protected or criminal? That's a hate crime, too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Should spray painting a swastika on a synagogue be protected or criminal? That's a hate crime, too.
It's criminal to vandalize property.
I'd say that is sufficient, & should be treated more harshly than it currently is.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
In my experience, how one feels about hate crimes boils down to how he or she answers this question: Should the response to a crime depend upon the criminal's motivation for it?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In my experience, how one feels about hate crimes boils down to how he or she answers this question: Should the response to a crime depend upon the criminal's motivation for it?
I don't think that's an accurate distillation, actually. I think hate crimes are, in essence, psychological warfare against a demographic.

And since it was brought up, yes majority demographics can be victims of hate crimes too. At least in my estimation.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I don't think that's an accurate distillation, actually. I think hate crimes are, in essence, psychological warfare against a demographic.

And since it was brought up, yes majority demographics can be victims of hate crimes too. At least in my estimation.

Wouldn't it still be a hate crime, if the motivation behind the crime was the overall hatred for the demographic or group in which the individual comes from?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I consider intent important in a different way.
When the intended result is less than the result, that could be a mitigating factor.
Example: I saw friend Wirey in a bar, & punched him cuz I hate Canuckistanian oil shale workers.
1) I intended only a fat lip, but he died.
2) I intended to beat him to death, & he died.
3) Just like #2, but I yelled "I hate those hosers in Canuckistan!".
I argue that #1 should receive a lighter sentence than #2 & #3.
#2 & #3 should be the same sentence because same result & same intention.
Wirey objects to all 3 scenarios.