• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has RF Changed How You See People?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
and you prefer to sit at God's Table and break bread with them?

is there not scripture.....
better that a mill stone be hung about the neck
for anyone who would harm the least of these (children)

Well, if god is a forgiving god and jesus had his betrayer sat with him at his table, I'm sure one sin isn't worse than another in regards to "the blood of christ." I'm not sure how other abrahamic sinners would take it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Has your experience of RF influenced how you see people in general? If so, in what way has it influenced how you see people?

Before RF i had a deep distrust of religion and religious people. I have now come to accept that not all religious people are the same. There are still some few that i would not trust as far as i could throw them, these are the ones projecting a bad aura for religion (which i still cannot and probably never will consider useful in the modern world). But in general, yeah, most of the people are OK (most of the time)

rocala

Yes, not just RF but social media in general. I strongly agree with @PureX, there is a shockingly huge amount of stupidity out there. Nastiness too. So many people with big brave mouths, brave that is on the other side of the world with a user name to hide behind.

When I first joined RF I was quite new to Buddhism, probably made a few mistakes with my interpretations. I had however known lots of Buddhists, all nice people. What a shock then to meet the 'online Buddhist'. Real scorn and rudeness. Had some today on another site. Used to it now.
Overall impression - not very good.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have always believed that people were generally well-meaning. There are exceptions, of course, but you can't live your life worrying about the exceptions.

Similarly, for a long time I believed that most people were open to reasoned argument, and the more powerful the reasons, the more likely they were to change their views accordingly.

Since posting on this and a previous site (where I had over 100,000 posts), I have come to see that I was probably correct about people being generally well-meaning, and almost certainly wrong about their ability to be convinced by reason.

I find the latter depressing, especially given how amazing and powerful a thing the human brain is (or could be).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have always believed that people were generally well-meaning. There are exceptions, of course, but you can't live your life worrying about the exceptions.

Similarly, for a long time I believed that most people were open to reasoned argument, and the more powerful the reasons, the more likely they were to change their views accordingly.

Since posting on this and a previous site (where I had over 100,000 posts), I have come to see that I was probably correct about people being generally well-meaning, and almost certainly wrong about their ability to be convinced by reason.

I find the latter depressing, especially given how amazing and powerful a thing the human brain is (or could be).
Reasoned arguments sometimes up against powerful beliefs.
If the latter is firm & comforting, the former should be presented
as something to consider, but without having to believe. Later
they might become comfortable with it. So instead of finding
it frustrating, take solace in its being one step in the long game.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well, if god is a forgiving god and jesus had his betrayer sat with him at his table, I'm sure one sin isn't worse than another in regards to "the blood of christ." I'm not sure how other abrahamic sinners would take it.
it's been a few years since I posted this scenario

picture this......Jesus, Judas, and Hitler
sitting at the Table breaking bread and sharing a sauce bowl

looking at each other.....in the eye

and the two swords the disciples left on His Table.....
are still there

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
it's been a few years since I posted this scenario

picture this......Jesus, Judas, and Hitler
sitting at the Table breaking bread and sharing a sauce bowl

looking at each other.....in the eye

and the two swords the disciples left on His Table.....
are still there

I lost you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Has your experience of RF influenced how you see people in general? If so, in what way has it influenced how you see people?

Not really, but it has given me a chance to access people who I can learn from. That might sound like a subtle difference, so I'll explain a little more.
I've come across people in my life (and for me, personally, University was great for this) who have nuanced beliefs and understandings of things which challenged or even changed my mind about things.

Generally, these have been people I've broadly disagreed with, and several have been religious, at least in a broad sense (and some in a very specific sense too!).

I knew they existed, and they've impacted me before RF, and will again after it. But they are not common, really, and even less common is a way of sensibly getting to the point of discussing some difficult topics. For example, my hairdresser might be a savant at Eastern Philosophy...but it becomes difficult to identify in a 'normal' conversation.

So I would say RF allows me access to a few of these people, and allows discussion of topics not always accessible, either because I don't know people IRL well enough to tackle them (eg. my hairdresser) or because I know people too well, and we're careful around certain conversations (eg. some very dear Christian friends I have).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, not just RF but social media in general. I strongly agree with @PureX, there is a shockingly huge amount of stupidity out there. Nastiness too. So many people with big brave mouths, brave that is on the other side of the world with a user name to hide behind.

When I first joined RF I was quite new to Buddhism, probably made a few mistakes with my interpretations. I had however known lots of Buddhists, all nice people. What a shock then to meet the 'online Buddhist'. Real scorn and rudeness. Had some today on another site. Used to it now.
Overall impression - not very good.
Cause they're B..B.. Ba baa...
..... Bad to the Bone.