• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone studied Ancient Greek?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I was looking at elective courses in the university for next year and saw that one of the courses offered was learning Ancient Greek. Ancient languages are very useful in the field of archeology (which is what I'll be studying), but I'm also tired of reading books and essays about Greek in the Talmudic era in which the writers assume their readers know Greek and so don't translate it...o_O

Has anyone studied Ancient Greek? Is it hard? Are there any particular basic texts that are usually looked at during such courses?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I only took a short dive into Koine/NT Greek and, as far as languages go, didn't find it too hard to pick up once a certain base understanding had been achieved. I think one of my issues was I just wasn't all that fond of the language itself, so it didn't really 'stick'. I remember teaching through short stories, iirc.

IMO it would be a great option to take, though.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I was looking at elective courses in the university for next year and saw that one of the courses offered was learning Ancient Greek. Ancient languages are very useful in the field of archeology (which is what I'll be studying), but I'm also tired of reading books and essays about Greek in the Talmudic era in which the writers assume their readers know Greek and so don't translate it...o_O

Has anyone studied Ancient Greek? Is it hard? Are there any particular basic texts that are usually looked at during such courses?
I studied it at school for a while. I wasn't very good at it. It's a fully inflected language like Latin (and Russian), so you have to conjugate the verbs and decline nouns and adjectives. The verbs have an indicative and subjunctive mood and also a funny one called the optative. So a lot of rules to learn and apply. The alphabet is easily mastered, however.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I HAD to look that one up

0350594b55540ba17bb0cc654c5292ba.jpg

Orbit

I'm a planet

My husband has taken Koine Greek at the university, and seems to have found it do-able. He did two semesters. It comes in handy for Bible translation issues.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't studied it, but you may want to consider the Greek to Me textbook by J. Lyle Story which uses mnemonic images to teach "New Testament Greek" using Pneumonics. Its what they use at Regent University (700 Club people). The text looks very helpful and has a strong system of interlocked imagery to learn many verbs and language forms. It assumes your first language is English, so English is used as part of the mnemonic system.
Greek to Me - 2nd Edition Biblical Greek Textbook

Whether you like the book or not its a unique way to learn a language.

Magical Wand

I would love to learn ancient greek. Many historians who specialize in the New Testament study Greek in order to better understand the NT. So, it would be an interesting experience.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I did, but as I'm already ancient, it may not have seemed so ancient to me when I studied it.

I did not find it particularly difficult (I studied Latin at the same time), but I confess that 60-odd years later, I struggle when I try to read it again.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Has anyone studied Ancient Greek?
My additional major as an undergrad was classical languages. I studied other ancient languages (and of course German, French, and Italian), but of all the languages I spent time on as electives or for the classical languages major, I spent the most on ancient Greek. I did my senior thesis on a cognitive and typological analyses of the Attic Greek impersonal constructions, and even had a minor paper on Euripides' Medea published.
Is it hard?
Not particularly. Of course, "hard" is entirely relative in a number of ways. Some people have more difficulty with languages than others, some people absorb languages like sponges when they can be immersed in the language & culture (or approximately so), but this isn't an option for dead languages (even language classical language immersion programs aren't the same as there are no native speakers and no native speech communities). Also, and perhaps most importantly, there is difficulty learning a particular language given the language(s) you already know, particularly the language or languages you are a native speaker of. Greek is Indo-European, and thus has some familiar structures even to English speakers for whom the Germanic declensions and Latin-based verbal inflexions are almost entirely alien. The alphabet is relatively easy to learn. In contrast, neither Hebrew nor Arabic have alphabets that contain vowels other than aleph, Arabic in particular is difficult here due to the ways in which the letters are formed when they appear in different locations in words, and the grammatical structures are often wholly alien (e.g., the grammatical gender of verbs, which are indexed in lexicons by the 3rd person masculine form, typically) as is much construal of abstract (grammatical/syntactic) linguistic properties such as Tense-Aspect-Modality.
For a native Arabic speaker, however, Biblical Hebrew and Syriac is vastly easier than is Attic Greek.
I would also recommend standard classical Greek courses even if you are more interested in Greek of the Hellenistic era or e.g., Homeric Greek, as it is easy to go from learning Attic and Ionic Greek to reading the koine of the New Testament (for example), while the reverse is not true.

Are there any particular basic texts that are usually looked at during such courses?
The standard reference texts in English are (for Grammar) Smyth-Messing's Greek Grammar and (for lexicons) the LSJ for ancient Greek generally and the BDAG for NT early Christian literature (as well as the more general Koine of the period).
These aren't particularly great for learning though. I would highly recommend the Athenaze textbooks, which are modern in approach and have you reading (vastly simplified) ancient Greek from the start, rather than translating obscure lines as the only exposure to reading Greek early on while most of your time is spent memorizing grammatical rules and vocab. Couple this with a few readers (like Morrice's Stories in Attic Greek) as well as some of the material provided by the Joint Association of Classical Teachers (e.g., An Independent Study Guide to Reading Greek, Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary, etc.) and that should take you well into intermediate levels where you can start reading entire texts in Greek that are designed for Greek learners with grammatical/translation guides and lexical aids in the text, such as Plato: A Transitional Reader by Willie Major or Plato: Apology: Text, Grammatical Commentary, Vocabulary by James J. Helm).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have. It's easier than Latin, if you ask me...but it's not easy. It has declensions and so many tenses, active, passive, medio-passive.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
My additional major as an undergrad was classical languages. I studied other ancient languages (and of course German, French, and Italian), but of all the languages I spent time on as electives or for the classical languages major, I spent the most on ancient Greek. I did my senior thesis on a cognitive and typological analyses of the Attic Greek impersonal constructions, and even had a minor paper on Euripides' Medea published.

Not particularly. Of course, "hard" is entirely relative in a number of ways. Some people have more difficulty with languages than others, some people absorb languages like sponges when they can be immersed in the language & culture (or approximately so), but this isn't an option for dead languages (even language classical language immersion programs aren't the same as there are no native speakers and no native speech communities). Also, and perhaps most importantly, there is difficulty learning a particular language given the language(s) you already know, particularly the language or languages you are a native speaker of. Greek is Indo-European, and thus has some familiar structures even to English speakers for whom the Germanic declensions and Latin-based verbal inflexions are almost entirely alien. The alphabet is relatively easy to learn. In contrast, neither Hebrew nor Arabic have alphabets that contain vowels other than aleph, Arabic in particular is difficult here due to the ways in which the letters are formed when they appear in different locations in words, and the grammatical structures are often wholly alien (e.g., the grammatical gender of verbs, which are indexed in lexicons by the 3rd person masculine form, typically) as is much construal of abstract (grammatical/syntactic) linguistic properties such as Tense-Aspect-Modality.
For a native Arabic speaker, however, Biblical Hebrew and Syriac is vastly easier than is Attic Greek.
I would also recommend standard classical Greek courses even if you are more interested in Greek of the Hellenistic era or e.g., Homeric Greek, as it is easy to go from learning Attic and Ionic Greek to reading the koine of the New Testament (for example), while the reverse is not true.

The standard reference texts in English are (for Grammar) Smyth-Messing's Greek Grammar and (for lexicons) the LSJ for ancient Greek generally and the BDAG for NT early Christian literature (as well as the more general Koine of the period).
These aren't particularly great for learning though. I would highly recommend the Athenaze textbooks, which are modern in approach and have you reading (vastly simplified) ancient Greek from the start, rather than translating obscure lines as the only exposure to reading Greek early on while most of your time is spent memorizing grammatical rules and vocab. Couple this with a few readers (like Morrice's Stories in Attic Greek) as well as some of the material provided by the Joint Association of Classical Teachers (e.g., An Independent Study Guide to Reading Greek, Reading Greek: Text and Vocabulary, etc.) and that should take you well into intermediate levels where you can start reading entire texts in Greek that are designed for Greek learners with grammatical/translation guides and lexical aids in the text, such as Plato: A Transitional Reader by Willie Major or Plato: Apology: Text, Grammatical Commentary, Vocabulary by James J. Helm).
Wow, that's a lot of info. Thanks!

Somehow I doubt that at Bar Ilan, which still regards itself as a 'Modern Orthodox university', would include reading the NT, even in a Greek course. More likely in a Christianity course.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I have. It's easier than Latin, if you ask me...but it's not easy. It has declensions and so many tenses, active, passive, medio-passive.
Actually, Latin is also offered. I just thought that as Greek was the Lingua Franca of the Roman Empire, there are probably more ancient inscriptions to be found in Israel in Greek than in Latin. Well, technically I could take both courses, but I'm not sure I could fit both into my schedule.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Actually, Latin is also offered. I just thought that as Greek was the Lingua Franca of the Roman Empire, there are probably more ancient inscriptions to be found in Israel in Greek than in Latin. Well, technically I could take both courses, but I'm not sure I could fit both into my schedule.
I think it is more suitable to learn either first.